Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Cheyenne Origins of Gourd Dance? Cheyenne Origins of Gourd Dance?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2005, 03:42 PM   #61
Southern Cheyennes of O.K

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
SaltRiver Cheyennes is on a distinguished road
Credits: 230.00
Savings: 0.00
Gache ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gache
Before the fights with the Kiowas in the 1830s there were many cheyenne among the hevaitaneo that had kiowa blood. Black Kettle had kiowa blood. Maybe the wolf visited both during this time. Before the fights there were so many cheyenne hevaitaneo with kiowa blood that much of the year they just lived with the kiowa. Too much blood flows between the kiowa and cheyenne for this fight to continue.
Where did you get your information...? I thought that was entertaining bit there! Black Kettle was not Kiowa! Heh heh. He did have a mexican wife though. Just thought that you should know that. Has anyone ever talked about the shaker dance vs. the gourd dance. The relationship between the southern cheyennes and the adopted Kiowa relatives? How cheyennes dance gourd ? Where societies started ? Why certain singers are asked by the cheyenne to sing at their gourd dance? Why the Cheyenne don't use any metal in the circle during gourd dance? Cheyenne and Arapaho societies? World WarII veterans societies etc . etc.? 7Bands of Southern Cheyenne? I'm just putting this out there for educational purposes. hey gache email me man!
SaltRiver Cheyennes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #62
Quality Taco Inspector

Gache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 727.00
Savings: 1.00
One of the southern cheyenne bands had quite a bit of kiowa blood in them so much so when the cheyenne-arapaho went to war with the kiowa-comanche that band was asked to choose sides. This band chose the cheyenne but I remember the same band mostly dying of cholera in 1849. If I was told correctly one of Black kettles grandparents was kiowa. Cheyennes arent supposed to have metal in any ceremony but I am not going to go any further publically about any ceremony.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #63
Southwest Ryda

ak_from_dine_nation is a name known to all
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian
Josiah,
Thanks for your kewl comments. Keep in mind however, that information and knowledge is available to anyone who takes the time to look for it.
I always wondered what the blue and red represented.can you tell me?thanks in advance.
ak_from_dine_nation is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2006, 12:12 AM   #64
Blacksmith

Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,702.79
About 10 years ago in Albuquerque, one of the gourd dance "clubs" was having their afternoon dance before a powwow grand entry. The announcer said that a Cheyenne chief was present, a man with the last name of Cometsevah, and that this man was in a position to sanction all gourd dancers who had not formally made their way into the circle. Those dancers who wished to, could be specially painted by him. As I recall, four song were sung and for each song, the dancers stayed in one of the four directional quadrants. Apparently, in that way, the major directions were "covered". Then, all of the dancers who cared to be painted were put in a long line, and Cometsevah went from one end to the other putting face paint on all of the men. He announced that the the newly painted dancers could henceforth take part in any gourd dance, anywhere. Cometsevah was indiscriminate in terms of who was in the line. Tribe or race were not considered, and there was a pretty good mix.

I'm just passing along what I remember without making a big judgement call at this time. I thought this should be included in the thread, because it talks about gourd dancing and the Cheyenne.
Gledanh Zhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links