Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Fred Tsoodle passes. Fred Tsoodle passes.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,516.21
Savings: 0.00
Fred Tsoodle passes.

Fred Tsoodle, instrumental in reviving the modern gourd dance passed away last night on Tuesday, December 5, 2006.

Details pending.

"In 1953, I heard some old men singing some gourd dance songs. We have an Indian Fair over here, so after hearing the men sing my wife and I sat down and decided we should get some of the elderly men from our tribe to perform at the fair (American Indian Exposition) in front of the grandstand. All the different tribes around here put on some kind of a program at the Fair. They compete against each other, show the dances they have and so on. So we decided to put this on. I knew there were people who knew the dance. We had to look for elderly men who knew the dance. We found some of the ones I'd seen when I was young. I asked and they agreed to perform.

But some didn't have costumes because they had put them away, thinking they would never be used again. But they got them and we presented the dance at the fair in front of the big grandstand. It was the first time it had ever been performed there. It was a beautiful sight because we had them all in their regalia and all that. The crowd was just quiet and pretty soon I heard some women crying.

... It was something they thought was lost forever. I helped revive that and I'm really glad to this day. And now they're dancing it all over the United States."

Fred Tsoodle (2001 interview for the National Endowment for the Arts).

Condolences go out to Tim Tsoodle, Vice President, headsman for the Kiowa Gourd Clan and his family.

WhoMe.

Last edited by WhoMe; 12-06-2006 at 03:58 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
fish soothsayer

streamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
streamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 382.35
Savings: 1.00
Man, I just saw him in October. My prayers go out to my friend Tim and deepest sympathy to all the Tsoodle family.
Bill
streamhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2006, 01:52 AM   #3
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,217.95
Savings: 1.00
I just danced with Tim as our AD in Springfield MO. My thoughts are with the whole family, Tim be strong.