Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Getting started Getting started

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yurtboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Getting started

I'm Comanche and Southern (Texas) Cherokee. I grew up in a traditional home, but in Arizona, so I'm not connected to a lot of other people. I'm very interested in becoming a Gourd Dancer, as I have the most respect for them. At a powwow, I spoke with the President of a local Gourd Dance Society. He was very polite, but pretty much said the way to get started is to just get out there and do it. I tried to explain that I wanted to do this the right way and hoped to find someone who could teach me. He said yes, it's good to have a mentor, but didn't elaborate. I asked about joining the society. He said it wasn't a good idea at first, that I should just start dancing at powwows and could join later, after people get to know me. I'm all for giving it a go, but I don't want to be disrespectful by making my regalia wrong or doing the wrong thing. I'd like some input from the forum here on getting started. Thank you very much. Will
yurtboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
Good Deal!

Well Will, I think it is very impressive of you to seek out the "appropriate" way of doing things off the bat. I wish more of the younger generations (i.e. my age and younger) would take things as serious and with the compassion exhibited here. However, to make that statement, I'd be beating a dead horse.

My best guess would be to suggest going to Oklahoma (omg, say it ain't so) and establishing some contacts there. I think the best person/people to communicate with this desire you have would be the forum leader here (CHEROSAGE I believe). Outside of the forum leader, I would recommend Numunu1971 or Zotigh. Both of these guys I know are Kiowa (which is where it all started) and have danced at Carnegie (sp?). Feel free to contact these guys and tell them LSS sent ya.

In the mean time, I'd take a few moments to research some of the old threads in the archives here on the history. Make sure you know what you're doing.
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2005, 03:06 AM   #3
a.k.a Numunu1971

Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Right On!

Hello friend,
I am Comanche also, and Kiowa. I am glad to see that you want to do things in a proper way. I would be more than glad to communicate with you about this. Why don't you email at [email protected] and i will share what I know....Chris
Old 10-31-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,584.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numunu1971
Hello friend,
I am Comanche also, and Kiowa. I am glad to see that you want to do things in a proper way. I would be more than glad to communicate with you about this. Why don't you email at [email protected] and i will share what I know....Chris

Numunu,

Thanks for helpin' this guy.

I just got a call at my office today from a "Southern Cherokee." He claimed he had a Bureau of Indian Affairs card of his federally recognized tribe. He also claimed that Quanah Parker was the most famous Southern Cherokee there was.

*L

I kinda set him straight (To say the least).
Old 10-31-2005, 07:46 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

yurtboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Yes, thank you Chris. I've already emailed you and look forward to learning a lot.

WhoMe, sorry to hear about the misinformed "Southern Cherokee" you spoke to. Unfortunately, I'm seeing a lot of people with Cherokee ancestry using that description for some reason. I'm not here to pass any judgement on them or anything. When I say I'm "Southern Cherokee," I mean my Cherokee ancestors left GA before the Trail of Tears and settled in east TX, where they intermarried with Comanche.

And LSS, thank you also. I'm learning a lot by looking through the postings here. Glad I found this forum.

Will
yurtboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Hey, what can I say....just your friendly neighborhood Moderator!
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2005, 01:01 AM   #7
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,553.63
Will, looks like you're in good hands. Should you just want to visit you can PM me or call at [email protected]. I would imagine that I couldn't help much more that what Chris can teach you.

Thanks guys for giving this young man a helping hand. I too feel it is good for these young people to ask for help instead of just going out there and do their own thing. As Scott has mentioned too many people are taking something they don't know what it is they are taking.