Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance GON Observation GON Observation

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,584.70
Savings: 0.00
GON Observation

Lots of wierdness at this one. . .

The arena had almost 300 gourd dancers of every size and shape. Needless to say it was very crowded.

There were three drums in the middle (they coulda used 5)!

Women had their seats almost completely around the circle of men.

I noticed several women coming to the drum and not singing. They just wanted to be in the middle of all the action and check things out. In essence they were dancing in front of the men.

This really bothered me. Does it bother anyone else when a woman makes their way to the drum and don't sing?
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #2
Member since March 2000.

Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60.00
Savings: 1.00
bothers me.

What was Larry saying about the Gourd Dance on Friday evening? They had just honored Leonard Cozad Sr. and then Larry gets up and was saying something. Me and the other thousand or so people seated on the West side of The Pit, throughout the entire powwow, couldn't hear a damn thing!! We'd hear some groups singing, then others would sound really muffled, it was worse when someone would go to talk into a microphone. It was like...listening to Charlie Brown's teacher speak....."Waa, waa, waa, waa...waa"
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2004, 03:26 PM   #3
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
the cozads sang the redwolf song. he explained that songs meaning to the people, and did the honoring for the elder senior. larry cozads father is named redwolf in kiowa. so basically school was in session

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2004, 07:40 PM   #4
I don't do this for fun!

TacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
TacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 232.00
Red face Women are suppose to sing...

If women are sitting behind the singers they are suppost to sing not spectate.....I wonder what they are thinking just sitting behind the singers taking up space.... ?
Old 04-28-2004, 02:06 AM   #5
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
I just enjoyed looking at all the gourdancers fans :) Some of them have very very beautiful fans :)
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #6
StanfordPW*Publicity*Diva

Miss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
I noticed several women coming to the drum and not singing. They just wanted to be in the middle of all the action and check things out. In essence they were dancing in front of the men.
You seem to have a lot of opinions... what do you think of women, and not just "out there" but here in OK as well, that go behind the singers and sing AND dance? Not just a song or two either, they'll do that the whole time.

I think it borders on disrespect, for those women to be dancing in front of all those men. If they want to dance, they can dance back with the rest of us and sing as well. There's no rule saying you must be right by the drum to sing.
Miss_Kiowa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
~*Southernz Elite*~

SBZ4life has a spectacular aura about
So women cant sit at the drum and chill..I see more men sit at the drum and look around and just chill...I sit there and sometimes wont start a song...just as long as Im at the drum...maybe those people just sittin there are just learning how to sing gourd dance...were not all knowledgable as you are.

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999
SBZ4life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2004, 03:23 PM   #8
~*Southernz Elite*~

Someone gave me a bad report deal...HATER

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999
Old 04-28-2004, 03:41 PM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

bqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond repute
Noone said you have to start songs all the time. Sometimes my mind is just blank and no songs will come to mind. Other days I can sing all day by myself and never repeat. But if you're a singer then your place is at the drum. If your learning then come and learn. But it always bugs me when people come to the drum and not even try to sing. Some people just go out there for money. I know alot of the women in my family are quilty. They even take their daughters out to sit there behind the drum. It also bugs me when some of our younger kids come out to the drum and half way through the song they quit singing and just try to wack away at the drum as hard as they can. Where in the heck did they learn that!
Old 04-28-2004, 04:13 PM   #10
LBGOOD2U

Items DevilPresentPresent
lbgood has a reputation beyond repute
lbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,007.25

Last edited by lbgood; 07-30-2009 at 06:13 AM..
lbgood is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2004, 04:23 PM   #11
~*Southernz Elite*~

maybe the kids whack off at the drum....oh whack the drum...maybe they just like to hit things hard and get out aggresion..maybe its deeper than we think.

Ive seen some people go out there and sit there...I think..its ok...their learning..PLUS back at home there aint no money to be made at the drum..we all know that..mostly we talk about big powwows and thing of that sort...I made money at GON during gourd dance...$5. Its all good tho...its not about the money for me...if they are tryna make a quick buck..then let em..they aint gonna get rich sittin out there for hours. And for kids sittin out there...they gotta learn somehow...some are just ruggit, like I was...lol...TRUTHFULLY THERE IS NO MONEY TO BE MADE SINGING...DANCERS GET THE MONEY...WE JUST MAKE EM DANCE..

Old 04-28-2004, 04:24 PM   #12
~*Southernz Elite*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgood
LOL - jus rugged!
shoot yea~ruggit as hell

Old 04-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #13
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bqueton
. . . But it always bugs me when people come to the drum and not even try to sing. . . .
___

BQue:

This is my point. A southern drum sits in the middle. If you come to the center drum, it should be to sing.. . not to just check it out or be seen.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:09 PM   #14
~*Southernz Elite*~

Quote:
___

BQue:

This is my point. A southern drum sits in the middle. If you come to the center drum, it should be to sing.. . not to just check it out or be seen.

Who in their right mind would sit there for hours just to be seen...you can tell if someone is trying to learn these songs or not...if they just sit there and look around they look foolish.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:35 AM   #15
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
I don't think the original question had anything to do with folks that are just learnin. WhoMe correct me if I am wrong, but I think what was trying to be said was ladies that are not part of the drum but instead just decide to go out there and stand behind the drum and dance/or maybe sing with a song or 2. I didn't get the impression that this was directed at the ladies that are singers and have their row of lawn chairs behind the men, but instead the ones that just go walking out there without any place to sit and are standing there dancing/singing between the men and the drum. I know my momma would have her hand up in front of her mouth talkin mean about any gal she saw out there doin that.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2004, 02:49 AM   #16
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
saturday most of the cozads didnt sing for a few songs. didnt even bother to drum. seen it with my own two eyes. and umm if they werent singing.... see where im going with this

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2004, 12:55 PM   #17
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by powwowbum49
I don't think the original question had anything to do with folks that are just learnin. WhoMe correct me if I am wrong, but I think what was trying to be said was ladies that are not part of the drum but instead just decide to go out there and stand behind the drum and dance/. . .with a song or 2. I didn't get the impression that this was directed at the ladies that are singers and have their row of lawn chairs behind the men, but instead the ones that just go walking out there without any place to sit and are standing there dancing . . .between the men and the drum.
Bum:Yes, you are expressing my sentiments. My thread specifically concerns the gourd dance, not intertribals.

SBz: I can see how the male singer would look foolish, but again I am specifically addressing women who come to the drum and just dance. (by the way, was that a hot NM green chili burrito or what. . . at the Gathering)?

Injun: Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything about it, but I saw it too.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:08 PM   #18
~*Southernz Elite*~

Quote:

SBz: I can see how the male singer would look foolish, but again I am specifically addressing women who come to the drum and just dance. (by the way, was that a hot NM green chili burrito or what. . . at the Gathering)?

Drum to just dance...hmmm...and not singing....hmmm...yup~thats wrong. if they were at least trying to move their lips it would have been ok, but yea I THINK its wrong...ANd that Chicken Fajita Burrito with Green Chili was HOT AS HELL...WHOOO, damn Jons were saying"if its hot,then your a jelous person" NO ITS DAMN HOT...lol...luckily it burnt going in not coming out!!!

Old 04-30-2004, 01:59 AM   #19
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,553.63
Hey guys: I wasn't there and have no idea what went on. I do have a thought though. Was the song that was sung a specific family song. I know that when a family song is sung the members of that family will stand. This is an honor and the family will honor the drum and singers after the song. Could it be that these women were taking this to the drum. Just a thought. I've had the priviledge to get to sing with the Cozads while I was stationed at Ft. Sill, OK. (They are such awsome singers, for the most part, I was just sitting there listening and watching them do their thing). My (?) is when did they stop singing. Was it during that song or some time later?

Not justifying just an observation.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:57 PM   #20
~*Southernz Elite*~

Ah I dont think it matters no more...I wasnt paying attention to no one around the drum...when your at a powwow like gatherings, anything goes...like, Did you know your not suppose to wear hats while gourd dancing...I did see though that on Friday gourd dance session, during the starting song...those "people" were dancing during the starting song. and when the song picked up...THEY DIDNT WAIT FOR THE HEAD GOURD DANCER!!!! tisk tisk tisk

Sponsored Links