Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Gourd Dancing in the Heat... Gourd Dancing in the Heat...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Gourd Dancing in the Heat...

I have Gourd Danced all over Oklahoma and other places pretty much year round for a long time. During the months of July and August here in Oklahoma it can be fairly hot to put it mildly.
Well this weekend in Bell Oklahoma I experienced something that I had not since I was in High School and doing 2 a days in football camp in Tahlequah in August.

The afternoon session went well, temps were in the 100's and high humidity was in the area. They had us in the trees and plenty of water was passed around all afternoon. Hot but bearable.
After supper break we switched to the main arena which is not shaded. The late afternoon sun was slowly setting but the arena was mostly in the sunlight.

I had been drinking water off and on all afternoon just keeping my lips wet and not guzzling it.
We began the last session to close out the Gourd Dance, I stood up and walked out into the arena and felt dizzy that began to get worse much worse.

Funny thing is I kept thinking I have been in heat before many time all this summer. So i kept going when I realized if I did not sit down I would lose my balance and I refuse to do that in front of everybody (still not realizing)....

I sat down on the bench and could not cool off, my head was dizzy, stomach was queasy and there was a buzzing in my ears.

My companion was right there and knew something was really wrong because she had never seen me sit down during the Gourd Dance.

The rest of the story was told me after I came to my senses and was coherent

They got me cooled down
EMT's checked me out to make sure that my vitals were normal
I scared the crap out of my family and friends all around the arena
The spectators got a nice show
They asked me if I needed to go to the hospital and I said no.
I just needed to cool down and get some water in me
Well about 20 mins later I was back to my normal self again and embarrassed as hell
LOL

As I reflect on what occurred yesterday I realize I am a lucky man to have that many people genuinely concerned for my health. The EMT's, security folks and all the responders were right there to make sure I was not injured further

The Arena Director Don Stroud was on the ball with gallons of water directed my way to bring my temp down...
LOL
My companion Valarie was like a traffic cop directing the action, I imagine that it looked far worse that it turned out to be.
Thanks to all the folks that came over afterwards to make sure I was ok and feeling better...

Looking back on what happened yesterday, I felt I had been doing all the right things in weather that is as hot as it was.
But I know that I under estimated the humidity that zaps you of the ability to cool off
I was really shocked how fast the heat got to me
Although I had been drinking plenty of water I had stopped sweating and that caused my temp to shoot up
The classic symptoms of Heat exhaustion is queasy stomach and dizziness
And if they dont get you cooled off quickly, Heat Stroke can come next and that becomes very very serious!!!

One of the things that had been handed me during my episode was a bottle of Gatorade! That replenished the stuff that I had sweated out and I began to sweat again and thus cool off. I now will always bring several bottles of the stuff in my little cooler and hopefully avoid an experience like that again

We all love attention
But not surrounded by EMT's and a crowd of people with worried looks on there face...

Last edited by Josiah; 08-03-2008 at 09:22 PM..
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Savings: 0.00
Wow! Sorry to hear about your experience this weekend, but glad to know that you are okay.

Heat exhaustion and heatstroke are nothing to play with. I never had it happen while dancing, but did while mountain biking in Phoenix a few years ago. It was scary. I got really hot, then stopped sweating (ran out of water ) and then starting getting goosebumps and shivering like I was cold. As in your case, though I had folks looking out for me and we averted anything more medically serious.

I found out through this experience that pre-hydrating, getting plenty of fluids and electrolytes, before exertion can be a really big help. I used to drink a full Gatorade before riding in the heat, and that helped a lot. For me, cramps in the legs were my first sign that I was getting dehydrated and out of balance in my electrolytes

It sounds like everybody did the right thing, though, and helped you through it with no bad repercussions. Getting rehydrated, out of the heat and cooled off right away are crucial.

Even if you're used to the heat, it can get the best of you under the right circumstances.

to everybody who kept you safe!
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Halito!

New2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
I am so glad that you are OK! Thanks for the heat safety reminder. We have been under an advisory here all week, and now I remember why I need to take that so seriously! Kudos to the folks there being on the ball and taking good care of you. I would sure hate to have anything more serious happen to you as you bring so much happiness and knowledge to us all! Take care!

Janis Joplin
New2itall is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
Teepee Creepin near you

Items Treasure ChestElephantDevilPresent
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,214.00
Good to hear it worked out good for you Josiah!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
Teen Dancer

Buckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond repute
glad that you are doing ok and can look back on the experience as a reminder to all to keep hydrated. See you soon.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
Wow, Josiah!! Take care of yourself!
I had the same thing happen just a month ago while painting my in-laws garage. I was drinking water, but just didn't feel like I was getting any cooler. My sister in law offered me a gatorade, and I started to turn it down because I worried about the sugar and salt content of it (borderline diabetic), but went ahead and drank the bottle of it. In a few minutes I started feeling a lot better. So water is the best....but once you've gotten past "too hot" sometimes you need something more.
Make sure you have plenty of water............and take a bottle or two of gatorade with you.
Take care!!
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,654.90
Wow, you were lucky! I know only a few who did have to be sent to the hospital due to heat stroke, so it's a good thing you didn't progress any further. Great response team!!
Old 08-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
fish soothsayer

streamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
streamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 382.35
Josiah, good to see you back in action. I usually start out with at least a quart of water in the afternoon, I had that completely gone before the afternoon session was over, plus a bottle of gatorade, and a bottle of vitaminwater, not even sure that was enough. I always go to gatorade after a good fill of water, it's in the electrolytes ya know. It's one of the reasons I danced without my blanket in the afternoon, I could tell I was close to being too hot. NorthofAda has it right, getting plenty of fluid even starting the day before is a good idea, definitely the morning of. Again, glad you're ok. The main man at Bell had heatstroke just the week before, not a good thing, it's dangerous out there this time of year. Oh, and although I understand your feeling, I'd be much the same with the fuss, but NOTHING to be embarassed about brother, everyone was glad you were alright, that's the bottom line.

Bill
streamhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
Josiah, good to hear that everything worked out. Now DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!!!!
hobbs49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

davidmn is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy good

OK, we will investigate why PP is short-changing people of the trial period
davidmn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
fish soothsayer

streamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
streamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 382.35
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmn View Post
OK, we will investigate why PP is short-changing people of the trial period
umm....what?
streamhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #12
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs49 View Post
Josiah, good to hear that everything worked out. Now DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!!!!
Believe me I will not attempt to do this again
LOL

Gatoraide is my standard drink of choice from now on when I Gourd Dance in the Heat!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #13
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Glad to hear that you're fine Josiah. I know we all hate to admit that we're getting older and not as strong as we used to be. Take care of yourself and I hope the rest of the Summer goes smooth for you.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2008, 04:38 AM   #14
Insert Image Here

SmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
SmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 261.80
Man, I keep my IV stuff in the trunk of my car... I missed out on a golden oppourtunity too, lol. Glad you were all right. Preventing such things, are a lot better than treating it.