Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance History of Gourd Dancing at Pow Wows? History of Gourd Dancing at Pow Wows?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
Kili!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
History of Gourd Dancing at Pow Wows?

What is the history of gourd dances being held at pow wows? At what point did this become commonplace in OK?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,584.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
What is the history of gourd dances being held at pow wows? At what point did this become commonplace in OK?
__

If you can call the American Indian Exposition a "powwow," then that is were the gourd dance was brought to the general public.

According to a National Endowment for the Arts interview of Fred Tsoodle, Kiowa, National Heritage Award recipient, the gourd dance was performed at the Indian Fair (American Indian Exposition) in 1953.

"I helped revive that and I'm really glad to this day. And now they're dancing it all over the United States," said Tsoodle.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the info WhoMe. I've heard many times of the revival of the Kiowa Gourd Dance back in the 1950s. Was this the first dance of that revival, or was it done in Carnegie first and then just brought to the public at the expo? Thanks for any info you can share.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,584.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
Thanks for the info WhoMe. I've heard many times of the revival of the Kiowa Gourd Dance back in the 1950s. Was this the first dance of that revival, or was it done in Carnegie first and then just brought to the public at the expo? Thanks for any info you can share.
__

According to the same interview, the last major Kiowa Gourd dance was held in 1941 in Carnegie.

The Kiowa gourd clan (society) is ancient.

According to an interview by the Koomsa family, the songs were revived at the homeplace of Bill Koomsa Sr., prior to 1953. Bill Koomsa Sr. and others sang for the 1953 Indian Fair exhibition.

The Koomsa informant also told me to correct the title "Red Wolf Legend" and amend it to just, "the Wolf Legend," in describing the origin of the Kiowa Gourd Dance.

Last edited by WhoMe; 01-06-2005 at 06:02 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

redsky is an unknown quantity at this point
'"I helped revive that and I'm really glad to this day. And now they're dancing it all over the United States," said Tsoodle.'

This is a cool quote. I bet you'd have to read the whole interview to understand its context. I don't gourd dance so I'm not trying to push any agenda. But, this quote would have made the Gourd Dance History thread that died off last month even more interesting.
redsky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2005, 02:45 AM   #6
USMC

Zotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Zotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,588.46
Savings: 1.00
I'm not sure when it became "commonplace", but...

Quote:
About 1955, as a special presentation at the American Indian Exposition in Anadarko, Oklahoma, the Kiowa director, Fred Tsoodle, gathered together the following men, Clyde Ahtape, Harry Hall Zotigh, Fred Botone, Oliver Tanedooah, and Abel Big Bow who were in Kiowa Gourd Dance dress and singers Bill Koomsa and William Tanedooah who knew and remembered the dance songs of the gourd dancers. This presentation brought back memories of the Kiowa cultural heritage and there were tears and some crying among the elder Kiowa spectators.

This was the beginning flame of the revival of the gourd dancing. But it was almost two years before the Kiowa Gourd Dance Clan was formally organized on January 30, 1957 at the home of Taft Hainta.
These are the folks and families to thank that it even exists as a living dance at all.
Kiowa Tiah Piah
Kiowa Marine Veterans
American Indian Veterans

Last edited by Zotigh; 10-07-2005 at 04:41 AM..
Zotigh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2005, 03:08 AM   #7
USMC

Zotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Zotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,588.46
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
This presentation brought back memories of the Kiowa cultural heritage and there were tears and some crying among the elder Kiowa spectators.
There are very few that are alive at this writing that could have been there to see these events. But, the experience described in that passage is what brings chills of pride to me.

Thank you.

A-Ho! to the families who helped perpetuate our heritage in the Kiowa Gourd Dance.
Kiowa Tiah Piah
Kiowa Marine Veterans
American Indian Veterans

Zotigh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2005, 03:17 AM   #8
a.k.a Numunu1971

Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotigh
There are very few that are alive at this writing that could have been there to see these events. But, the experience described in that passage is what brings chills of pride to me.

Thank you.

A-Ho! to the families who helped perpetuate our heritage in the Kiowa Gourd Dance.
Scott,
I second that emotion....
And people wonder why we feel so strong about protecting our traditions. It is in honor of those who came before us as well as preservation for our children....A-Ho! Chris
Sponsored Links