Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance How do you enter the Gourd danceing? How do you enter the Gourd danceing?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2003, 10:21 PM   #1

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
jcurley17 can only hope to improve
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 239.02
Cool How do you enter the Gourd danceing?

I just wanna know how you been come a gourd dance even when your not a vet.
jcurley17 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2003, 01:43 AM   #2
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,553.63
Savings: 1.00
I was invited while I was still serving in the Army. This is the way I was taught. We should be brought into and introduced as a Gourd dancer. I have had the privilege to be able to sponsor Vet. friends as a Gourd dancer.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:51 AM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

TWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 307.00
Savings: 0.00
I'm not a vet, but i was invited to Gourd Dance back in 97'.

To be honest, i enjoy it more than powwow dancing.

I love my tipi's. I'll never be homeless with them.

History is written by the winners.

TWDBear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
Junior Dancer

park has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,308.63
There's no ledge where you stand

I have never heard that being a vet is a requirement for any modern Kiowa gourd society (Gourd Clan, Kiowa Tia-piah, etc.). It is a requirement for Black Leggings, another Kiowa warrior society. While a lot of members are vets, there are long-time members and even headsmen that are not vets. Historically, members of tai-pe-go were veterans because virtually every male was a warrior. I think that the "all veteran" approach is relatively new and a creation of urban groups.
park is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2003, 12:09 PM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

laokie is a glorious beacon of light
In the Kiowa Gourd Clan and the Golden State Gourd Society a person must be sponsored by a member and voted into the Society.
laokie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2003, 02:40 AM   #6
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
It's true that we don't need to be Vet's. I was told that if a person was not a Vet. themself they could dance for a family memeber that was not able to dance. Now I don't know if a person could (should) dance if they have no military experience within the family.

Any Kiowas, Comanches, etc from the Lawton-Anadarko area that will please address this issue I would appreciate the help. My Uncle from that area is no longer with us.

Irregardless the military experience, I believe that everyone that wants to gourd dance should follow the established protocol. I have problems and have made my opinions well known to all around me. I don't like the new agers and new dancers that make up their own rules. If their is any question to how a dance should be just go to the Lawton-Anadarko-Carnegie area. The songs have a right way to be sung, the dancers have a right way to dance and poise themselves. I believe we can have fun and enjoy ourselves ane still stay within the guidelines.

Enough rambling on this topic (again). Wa-Do!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2003, 01:34 PM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

paraivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond repute
Cherosage
That is not rambling--that is just the way it is.:)
paraivo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2003, 04:36 PM   #8

where can i go to join gourd danceing i live in arizona
Old 06-05-2003, 02:39 PM   #9

anyone else know if there is any other place that i cna join the gourd dance?
Old 06-07-2003, 03:05 AM   #10
cherosage

Sorry, I can't help you with that one!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2003, 09:45 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

echohawkneconie is an unknown quantity at this point
Gourd Dancing

My dad is from the Kiowa tribe, he said that at one point in time that was just for those who served in any type of Military service. But now it can be for those who are doing thing for the tribe or those who have help build the camp ground area. Getting inductied into the Kiowa gourd clan is one of the hardest things to do. Not sure about the others but, if you want to see a good one go to Carnagie, OK the week of 4 of July. I think it starts on tuesday and ends wendsday if im correct. Not claiming that I know every thing but do know about the Gourd clan.
echohawkneconie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2003, 07:42 PM   #12

does anyone else have anything to say???
Old 06-18-2003, 04:29 AM   #13
cherosage

As I was taught you should have a Gourd dancer as a sponsor to introduce you and mentor you as a gourd dancer.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:31 PM   #14

so do i just ask any gorud dancer??
Old 06-18-2003, 04:54 PM   #15

nope i got a PM from you a whlie back but that was the only one
Old 07-01-2003, 03:41 PM   #16
Cloth Dancer

Shawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond repute
Location: So. Oregon river valley where salmon spawn, among forested mountains
Credits: 40.00
Want to join Gourd Dancers

I want to be invited to Gourd Dance in Northern California for my husband, a disabled Vet, who cannot dance. He enjoys sitting by the dance circle and listening to the songs. I am new to California -- am from Texas originally. I learned about Gourd Dancing, Black Leggings, Lone Star War Dance Society, etc. from friends and attended some private pow wows and war dances with them. I enjoy the Gourd Dancing even more than the pow wows. For me it is far more meaningful and spiritual and it is my wish to support the men who are Gourd Dancing for our Northern California pow wows.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:06 PM   #17
Tiny Tot Dancer

wickedannabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Veterans...?

My father was invited into the Star Hawk Society a Cheyenne Arapaho Gourd Dance Society and one of the oldest and most time honored Societies in the nation.

The Gourd Dance is traditionally a veterans dance and if you are not a veteran may dance at the invite of a veteran and be given the 'honor' to dance by any veteran who has been given the 'right' to dance.

It's all very much protocol as it's considered a "Traditional" dance and is very much held to the heart. I know there are some hatfield/mccoy type views on this subject and there is a bit of a division regarding Kiowa vrs. Cheyenne/Arapaho traditions but they all strive for the same thing and you are not to bring hard feelings into the circle.

I don't know, nothing more relaxing than the sweet sound of a gourd rattle on a hot summer afternoon.
wickedannabella is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2003, 02:15 AM   #18
cherosage

It's true that different Tribes have their own ways of Veterans organizations but most generally we all have about the same ideas. I don't know of any Tribe that allows the ladies to dance on line with the men. Most all do have a ladies organization, or at least a way that the ladies can be honored as well.

I believe that the Comanches have the War Mothers. I know that my Society the Quapaw Intertribal Gourd Society has an Auxilary for our ladies to be able to dance.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:20 AM   #19
Cloth Dancer

Shawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond reputeShawl Lady has a reputation beyond repute
Location: So. Oregon river valley where salmon spawn, among forested mountains
Credits: 40.00
What you say is true, Bob. You mentioned Quapaw. Are you in Arkinsaw? I used to live there. I miss it -- a lovely place.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:40 AM   #20
cherosage

No, I now live in Missouri. I do have some ties left in Quapaw OK.