Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Just A Thought Just A Thought

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2004, 11:52 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
bqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Just A Thought

I ended up being the Head Gourd Dance this past weekend when the originally named person did not show. As I accepted the honor I had to try and remember everything that was expected of me since I had not danced in over ten years. As the dance started I noticed that I was the only person using the benches. Then I started to recall everyone else lately just coming and going as they pleased from the arena. I was taught that when the dance started, you didn't just come and go as you pleased. Just like what everyone is taught around the drum, once you were there you stayed there. You were permitted to leave if it was necessary but you didn't just come and go as you pleased. And you didn't go back and sit with the women on the outside of the arena, you stayed in the arena on the benches. Just like at Kiowa Black Leggings, once it started, you do not leave that arena.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:22 AM   #2
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,553.63
Savings: 1.00
I agree with this thought. I too was taught to be seated on the bench and only left when you just had to. I think this is just another one of those things that not being properly educated creates the changes we all nash our teethe about. Improper protocol = lack of or improper teachings.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:48 AM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

LWB is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 440.05
Sorry to say i have been guilty of this when i was younger, but thank GOD i had some very goot men who took me aside
& told me (in a goot way) " brother we dont do things that way" & becouse of the respect & love i have for these men i didnt get pissed off or my feelings hurt , but reminded myself
that this is not MY dance & should count myself lucky to be out there dancing with these men . none of them ever asked (not told) me to do anything they wouldnt do ............ have been to a few dances since where i had to sit with my wife becouse of all the non-dancers there was no room on the bench ,even after the MC told them it was for the dancers .
LWB is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
a.k.a Numunu1971

Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
While I am in agreement with most of what has been said on this thread, I have to admit that I am guilty of stepping away for a smoke or to take a "break", while the drum is taking a break between sets.
I do try to keep it to a minimum, I certainly don't mean any disrespect. Question: Lately I have noticed some gourd dancers taking a smoke break while seated at the benches, what do you all think of that? Question: Do you think it is better to have a smoke outside of the arena area, or while seated at the bench?
Thanks in advance to those who reply.....
Sponsored Links