Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Kiowa Gourd Clan Kiowa Gourd Clan

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
bote_n_biscuits is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Kiowa Gourd Clan

I was just wondering who's all going to the fourth of july ceremonials in Carnegie...I know i'm going and i can't wait!!! Especially camping and seeing real Kiowas Gourd Dance and seeing how it is suppose to be...
bote_n_biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bote_n_biscuits
I was just wondering who's all going to the fourth of july ceremonials in Carnegie...I know i'm going and i can't wait!!! Especially camping and seeing real Kiowas Gourd Dance and seeing how it is suppose to be...

Bote,

Two of my friends are having giveaways on Monday, the 4th in honor of joining "The Clan" last year.

One of them is Laguna Pueblo and the other is Otoe!

So I'm gonna be there on the 4th to support them.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
a.k.a Numunu1971

Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
I'll be there! Ready to do some dancing!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 02:45 AM   #4
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,553.63
Savings: 1.00
Would you please eat dance and go back to camp to eat some more for me? I wish I could be there with you guys this year. I'm just not having a good year to go to a lot of dances right now. Numunu: maybe next year I can come down to dance with you. Good dancing guys.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
Junior Dancer

mountaindew will become famous soon enough
Credits: 1,241.76
I thought the Kiowa Gourd Clan was suppose to be for Kiowas only. When did they open up the membership? Now, they might as well call it the All Nations Gourd Clan. I don't remember where it was but at some pow wow I heard one Kiowa elder say that they now regret the fact that the dance is now all over the place since the other organizations don't dance it right.
mountaindew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindew
I thought the Kiowa Gourd Clan was suppose to be for Kiowas only. When did they open up the membership? Now, they might as well call it the All Nations Gourd Clan. I don't remember where it was but at some pow wow I heard one Kiowa elder say that they now regret the fact that the dance is now all over the place since the other organizations don't dance it right.

Uh, there's a lot of members who aren't Kiowa.

Those who aren't Kiowa still bring honor to the Kiowa Gourd Clan. Many support the year-round activities of the KGC. These individuals (as opposed to "other organizations") are respectful of the Kiowa gourd dance and learn from dancing at this prestigious Kiowa Gourd Clan ceremony.

"We'll be taking in new members next week. All we ask is that they be Indian." Kiowa Headsman, Kiowa Gourd Clan, Saturday, June 25, 2005 - (KGC Work Day).
Old 06-29-2005, 03:57 PM   #7
Teen Dancer

ndnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
Is that Tim's new name? lol. "Kiowa Headsman". We'll have to tease him about that one.

My husband and our family is there every year because he is one of the original members of the revived organization. Our daughter Samantha is the head lady dancer this year, and our two nephews are being initiated. So we're very busy right now trying to finish up getting ready, but I ALWAYS have time to check out the haps on powwows.com. lol. (Since I'm from a northern tribe and married in, our camp is the only one that has wild rice every year....hehehehe).

Samantha is laughing at me and telling me that I might as well post our menu on here, but I'm not taking it that far. lol.
ndnMSW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnMSW
Is that Tim's new name? lol. "Kiowa Headsman". We'll have to tease him about that one.

My husband and our family is there every year because he is one of the original members of the revived organization. Our daughter Samantha is the head lady dancer this year, and our two nephews are being initiated. So we're very busy right now trying to finish up getting ready, but I ALWAYS have time to check out the haps on powwows.com. lol. (Since I'm from a northern tribe and married in, our camp is the only one that has wild rice every year....hehehehe).

Samantha is laughing at me and telling me that I might as well post our menu on here, but I'm not taking it that far. lol.

Hold on. . . before you tease Tim....

He was not the one who said it!

___

oooooh I like wild rice!
Old 06-29-2005, 05:38 PM   #9
Teen Dancer

ndnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
Okay, Samantha's bad (she gave me the faulty info) .........she'll have to tease Glenn. I'll tease Tim about being "Vice-Headsman". lol.

Come on over to the camp for wild rice.....you know where we camp. I save the rice for the 4th.

The ceremonials are alot of work for us, but it's always an enjoyable time. I missed most of it last year because my baby was just a newborn, but this year she'll be at the camp getting into everything!
ndnMSW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2005, 05:44 PM   #10
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnMSW
Okay, Samantha's bad (she gave me the faulty info) .........she'll have to tease Glenn. I'll tease Tim about being "Vice-Headsman". lol.

Come on over to the camp for wild rice.....you know where we camp. I save the rice for the 4th.

The ceremonials are alot of work for us, but it's always an enjoyable time. I missed most of it last year because my baby was just a newborn, but this year she'll be at the camp getting into everything!

ndnM,

*LOL .... It wasn't Glenn either!

You spoil them Kgoy-goo too much (with your wild rice). Dang....

It makes some of them....... rather wild*

*L
Old 06-29-2005, 06:27 PM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

ladysinger is a glorious beacon of light
WhoMe,

Giveaways are to be done on the days before the last day.

Who was it that your quoted?

("We'll be taking in new memeber next week. All we ask is that they be indian." Kiowa Headsman, Kiowas Gourd Clan, Saturday, June 25, 2005 - (KGC WorkDay).)

Last edited by ladysinger; 06-29-2005 at 06:45 PM..
ladysinger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2005, 12:10 AM   #12
Pow Wow Bum

CrazyInDn is an unknown quantity at this point
Ill be there!

I 'll be there with bells on! lol Looking foreward to selling tickets and meeting new people.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:00 PM   #13
USMC

Zotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Zotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,588.46
Can only be there on Saturday. :(

But, at least I'll get to dance for one day. :)

Look forward to seeing you.

(Carnegie-daw)
Kiowa Tiah Piah
Kiowa Marine Veterans
American Indian Veterans

Zotigh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2005, 09:21 PM   #14
Junior Dancer

shyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond reputeshyannmason has a reputation beyond repute
Hi everyone I will be in Carnegie on Sunday. We will be feeding a meal in honor of my cousin Mr. Quintana so when everyone hears that we are serving come on over and make you a plate I will be serving the food! Just ask for SAM

SAM

What don't kill you, only makes you stronger!!
shyannmason is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #15
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
Uh, there's a lot of members who aren't Kiowa. . . Many support the year-round activities of the KGC. . .
Both the Otoe and Laguna Pueblo friend, that I mentioned, drove a long ways to put up the arbor at last weeks KGC work day. One drove from Ft. Worth and the other from Oklahoma City.

They are both going to make good members.

___

Ladysinger,

I HUBZ'ed you to tell you which headsman made that announcement.
__

CrzyInDN,

I'll look forward to buying a ticket from you! I forgot you were brought in last year. In anycase it will be good to see you again. Have a safe trip from "PyeYeeGah!"
__

Zotigh,

I may miss you then. I will be coming in Sunday night. I am looking at pictures I took with you in front of that little tipi!
__

Shyann,

I have been invited to come to TooneyandKaren's camp to eat. I look forward to meeting you at their camp.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:42 PM   #16
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Another year has come and gone for the Kiowa Gourd Clan, as the buffalo dances were sung to close out this year's ceremonies.

145 male gourd dancers paraded in this years 4th of July processional. Many were dressed in traditional clothing against a backdrop of a full arbor and tipi encampment. War trophys of great Kiowa chiefs stood perched on staffs in the middle of the arena.

A new headsman and whipman were introduced. Several elders addressed the the crowd in the Kiowa Language throughout the 3-day ceremony. Visitors from the 4 directions came to witness gourd dancing "in it's purist form."

Many returning veterans were honored throughout. Women warriors in their fatigues, on leave from active duty, danced on the outskirts of the arena in support of Kiowa tradition.

The singing was off the wall. So many gourd dance songs belong to proud chiefs, families and living individuals. As each song was rendered, the two announcers told who each song belonged to.

The rabbit society had their annual reunion on Sunday and Monday morning. This year the head singer served as "Grandfather Rabbit."

Amidst a sea of gourd dancers, women fully circling the huge dance arena, the sound of the bugler blowing "charge", the tops of tipis surrounding the arena, fireworks lighting up the skys - a feeling of strength, spirituality and emotion filled the dance area.

"Gourd dancing just doesn't get any better than this!"

In the words of Numunu 1972, "I live each year for this moment!"
Old 07-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #17
USMC

Zotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Zotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,588.46
It was wonderful even for us that were only there on Saturday. :)

A very heart filling experience.
Kiowa Tiah Piah
Kiowa Marine Veterans
American Indian Veterans

Zotigh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2005, 01:16 AM   #18
Junior Dancer

ndnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 140.00
I was at Carnegie last night and I have to say that it was very beautiful and moving. I've been to Taipei park on the 4th in the past and enjoyed that as well. It so cool to see all the "giving back" to the gourd society. I didn't get to make it out of camp except for two times, but even watching from where I was sitting was nice. Almost made me wish I was Kiowa...Aye! just kidding!! I did make me a little homesick tho'. By the way, I did get to eat some of ndnMSW's wildrice and she passed the Ojibwe taste test with flying colors. It was pretty kewl that the "allstate" man donated $1,500 for next year's dance, obviously he was moved by what he saw too.
ndnmba is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2005, 01:16 AM   #19
a.k.a Numunu1971

Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Kiowa Gourd Clan Homecoming

WhoMe put it so well....
Here I go anyway....
Many people talk of the beauty of Niagara Falls, of the Rockie Mountains, of the Pacific Ocean...but there is a place...away from the urban life, a place so remote, only Kiowas and other indigenous people would take the time to travel there. It is the home of the Kiowa Gourd Clan.
A little town with no stoplights, you turn down right past the barbeque joint and all of a sudden your sent to time a place where people worked together, danced together, sang together and ate together. 100 heat in the afternoon and the sound of crickets and crunchy grass. Camp tents, and teepees surrounding the arena. An arbor of willows and benches circling the sacred ground.
145 men dancing to the beautiful gourd dance songs, family songs, war mother songs, buffalo songs.....
This is what its all about for me. There is no gourd dancing like this anywhere in the world. And it is here, in that place, that I move from attending the social event and offer a gift to God.
Numunu1971
Old 07-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #20
Teen Dancer

Camp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeCamp7Kiowa has a reputation beyond repute
Kiowa Gourd Clan 2005

WhoMe & Numunu1971 have summed it all up so beautifully about the Kiowa Gourd Clan this year. Since I was a little girl I dreamt that heaven would consist of the Kiowa Gourd Clan campsite and activities and would never end but be an eternal celebration.

When the closing war dance song was sung, I knew it was over for another year and time to break camp. I always felt a little sad and homesick knowing I would have to wait another year until the next Kiowa Gourd Clan would take place.

Let's remember to support the Kiowa Gourd Clan throughout the coming year with their benefit dances and pay those much needed pledges made.

Like Joe Fish said "God could have made me anything He wanted me to be but He chose me to be Kiowa and I thank Him for that decision." Aho!
Camp7Kiowa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links