Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Zotigh
  • 1 Post By afrost

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Kiowa Gourd Clan sets dates Kiowa Gourd Clan sets dates

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,565.67
Savings: 0.00
Kiowa Gourd Clan sets dates

Just passing on information:

Gourd clan benefit dances (3):

First benefit gourd dance. March 4, 2006. 1:00 pm. Red Buffalo Hall. Carnegie, Oklahoma.

Second benefit gourd dance. April 8, 2006. 1:00 pm. Red Buffalo Hall. Carnegie, Oklahoma.

Third benefit gourd dance. May 6, 2006. 1:00 pm. Red Buffalo Hall. Carnegie, Oklahoma.

KIOWA GOURD CLAN CEREMONIAL CELEBRATION
July 2,3,4 2006 (Sunday, Monday and Tuesday)
Carnegie City Park, Carnegie, Oklahoma

HGDS: Dewayne Tofpi
HWDS: Steve Bohay
Headwardancer: Joey Tosee
Head Womandancer: Emily Blackdeer
MCs: Ronald Twohatchet, Bobbie Thompson and Hammond Motah

"Anybody is welcome to come watch the Fourth. They just need to realize it's a ceremony not a powwow. ... what they see here, stays here. Just be respectful of our ways . As for taking part...it's always been Indian only, ... Of course, the drum is Kiowas only."
Old 03-07-2006, 12:33 AM   #2
a.k.a Numunu1971

Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Well, the first benefit of the year is in the books. It was a great time. The singers were awesome. The dinner that was served was excellent. There was a good turnout, and I enjoyed seeing old friends, and making new ones.

Driving to Carnegie from Ponca City, my son and I had a great time. It was a nice trip. I did see a lot of the land that has burned over the last few months. It was quite a sight.

After the benefit was over, we went to the Carnegie Pizza Hut and saw some others there.

One thing that struck me about the benefit, was the number of members who participated that were from out of state. I was very impressed with my fellow clan members. It is because of dedication like that, that the Kiowa Gourd Clan is strong in membership and will remain so.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
pawnee drew

afrost is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 838.39
Thumbs up Out of state native gourds

Greetings from Southwest Colorado!
I am asking respectfully, how does one from out of state who is a gourd dancer conduct himself at the gathering? Is one allowed to participate or is this by invitation only. I am coming down to see this spectacle for myself. A lot of Kiowa, Okie friends say, "go see for yourself, this is how Gourd Dance should be done!"
I myself am Southern Cheyenne, Kitkahahki/Skidi bands of Pawnee and So. Ute.

Last edited by afrost; 06-26-2013 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add tribal affiliation
afrost is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
USMC

Zotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Zotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,588.46
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrost View Post
I am asking respectfully, how does one from out of state who is a gourd dancer conduct himself at the gathering? Is one allowed to participate or is this by invitation only. I am coming down to see this spectacle for myself. A lot of Kiowa, Okie friends say, "go see for yourself, this is how Gourd Dance should be done!"
I myself am Southern Cheyenne, Kitkahahki/Skidi bands of Pawnee and So. Ute.
The Kiowa Gourd Clan (Carnegie Park), Kiowa Tia-Piah (Chieftain Park, 12 miles south of Carnegie, OK) and Oklahoma Tia-Piah (Tia-Piah Park, Lawton, OK) all have headsmen whom will gladly answers your questions. Seek them out at whichever ceremonial you are attending. Anyone camping at those sites will be able to point the headsmen out to you.

I admire your respectful approach, sir.

ah-ho!
WhoMe and afrost like this.
Kiowa Tiah Piah
Kiowa Marine Veterans
American Indian Veterans

Zotigh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
pawnee drew

afrost is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 838.39
Thumbs up Respect the dance

Scott Zotigh,
Thank you for the information. I did make it to Carnegie Park and spoke to Tho Kohn Ghou Daw, Headsman of the KGC and he invited me into his camp to speak and answer all my questions pertaining to KGC, the protocols and dress code. He allowed me to dance as a visitor. I was overwhelmed by his generosity and the generosity of the Cozad and Emhoolah families, too! I got an invitation to come back next year. Thank you to you and others of the Kiowa people who made me feel right at home. My family lives in Concho (Cheyenne/Arapahoe) and Pawnee (Kitkahahki/Skidi).
Aw ho!
WhoMe likes this.
afrost is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links