Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Memphis Tia Piah Memphis Tia Piah

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2002, 02:11 PM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LWB is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 440.05
Savings: 0.00
by the way

wasen't one of your members asked to leave the Kiowa annual three years ago for being A daw
LWB is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2002, 02:18 PM   #22
Gourd Dancer

MuzeBl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 20.00
Where can I get more info on the Kiowa language?
I fell in LOVE with the elders who took my daughter and me in while I was in Anadarko. They took us to a powwow at Tia Piah park and gourd in Carnegie. She gave us beading lessons and my daughter is finally interested. My daughter and I have spent hours and hours beading together since then!
If they allowed it, I would build a spare room on their new place in Watonga.
When she was giving me frybread lessons, she laughed when I told her I just wasn't raised right I have never experienced so much hospitality and generosity in all my life.
I also found Mr. Horse very nice to talk to...unfortunately, he was very busy with the powwow, but that's OK.
I saw him at 3 events in a row...LOL...just a coincidence.

Anyways, I consult them with every little question I can come up with and I hope other people can find lovely people who will be as forthcoming and patient with such important information that needs to be remembered.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:29 PM   #23
Pow Wow Visitor

Gentgeen is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
I am a younger person with hopes of discovering my Native American background, and I am very interested in Gourd Dancing. Could any of you more experienced dancers tell he how I could go about Getting "Payed For" at a powwow, or how I could start dancing?

Thanks,
Greg
Gentgeen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2002, 12:22 PM   #24
Pow Wow Visitor

Headsmen is an unknown quantity at this point
The Best idea would be to check in your area for any pow wows where gourd dancing takes place,check with those dancers about speaking for you we would be glad to invite you to one of our dances but it's a long drive to Memphis from where you are.

Good luck to you
Headsmen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2002, 02:43 PM   #25
Pow Wow Visitor

Headsmen is an unknown quantity at this point
Since it was me who started this thread I thought it only right that I should respond to some on the things that have been said on here since you all wish to remain unknown, I don't have that luxury. I am a Headsmen of the Memphis Tia Piah Socitey, and have served in this position for the last 7 years. I have been a member of this socitey for the past 16 years I am helt directly responsable by this socitey for my words and my actions. I belive that we mistyped in an earlyer statement that Thi Piah ment honord warrior socitey that should have been is a honord warrior socitey it was not your intention to give a history of this Kiowa Socitey nor is it our place to do so, a headsmen of the Kiowa Tia Piah who lives in Hobart,OK told me first hand that these things are on a need to know baises. We tried to be nice enough to ansewer someones questions. Now as to the question about the Native American Church my Commanche brothers have told me these things are not to be spoken of in this or any other public forum, in other words they are to be protected. The Native American Church does not need Memphis Tia Piah but some of our members certenly need the Church. When I had a heart attack and was laying in the hospital in ICU it was not the members of Memphis Tia Piah who came to pray for me and my famley it was a member of the Native American Church my religous beliefs are non of your concern.

If you chose to basterdize the Kiowa Language to try to make some rude comment about me and my famley so be it but when you attack my brother who is a Kiowa I will not stand by, my brother served as a headsmen of this socitey for 4 years but I don't think that would make the top of the list of things he has done in his life. First he is a Vietnam vet, a member of the Black Legs Socitey, A member of Kiowa Gourd, and Kiowa Tia Piah he is also a direct decendent of Lone Wolf. This is a very fine famley and I am proud to be tolorated by them because this man calls me brother

Our other headsmen of this socitey is a Commanche I work with him every day, and we have to bet our life on each other in the work that we do. He is a Vietnam vet, a member of CIVA, and Little Ponies if you go to Lawton to the Commanche Indian Vetarens Mamorial you'll see his name and that of his father and his grand-father carved in granet, and when he passes on he has asked me to bury him at Deo Mission and sing a Commanche song for him. He is a member of the Faustina Descendeants and if you would like to slam that famley i'm sure they would have a few choice Commanche words to say to you.

I would also like to say that I am a member of Cherokee Gourd and have been in good standing for the last 10 years, ask you past headsmen John Mouse who gave him the lance that you people use in your induction ceramones and he'll know who I am. I just got my letter from Cherokee Gourd to go to bell pow wow in support of that socitey but I guess I will have to tell them that some of there members think themselves to good to dace with us or to shake our hands.

Ask Dog-ih-e to forgive you because I won't.
Headsmen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2002, 05:57 PM   #26
Tiny Tot Dancer

Re headsman fyi

the headsman in my post was not Kiowa or Comanche, soit was neither of the men you mentioned in your post. It is out of love for my sister-in-law all my nephews,elders & friends that I wrote what I did. i was not the to bring up the N.A.C.( check the thread.
As for *******izing the Kiowa language , the only word I used,
I used becouse I thought using the English word would be to embarrassing for both of us . Although we belong to different groups we are still Gourd dancers. What one of us does reflex on us all, especislly those of us that are not Kiowa or dont live in the Kiowa community.
As for the C.G.S., do what you have to do, but before you do you should know that these are my own personal feelings. the only people I can speak for are my wife & children.
I do not speak for the C.G.S., its headsmen or it members. I am not a headsman . I am simply a man, who loves his family & his people.
As for the question of forgiveness , I ask GOD for forgiveness every day for my transgressions , but I do not look for the forgiveness of man. To tell me to ask for his & yours in the same breath, I think that may show where your head is at , man.
Once again this post goes out with love & understanding, not malice. LWB
Old 07-18-2002, 02:27 AM   #27
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,553.63
Savings: 1.00
I have been watching this thread for a while and tried to stay out because I'm not Kiowa nor a member of the Memphis Tia Piah.

I am a member of a Gourd Society sanctioned by the Tia Piah of the Kiowa tribe of OK. I won't get into a *issing contest about the different Societies.

I have danced often with many of these Kiowas named and many , many others not named here. I don't speak Kiowa nor have I ever tried to say I have. I only know of the things I know because I have experienced these things. I don't learn real quick. I have served in the Army at Ft. Sill a number of times as have other Cannoncockers. I am proud to be a veteran gourd dancer. I have problems accepting somethings that are done in ignorance and the person won't try to learn the right way according to protocol in Carnegie OK. I recently went to one of my Uncles Funeral in Lawton, OK. He was a well respected man (veteran) in the area.

Some of the things I have read here are just an example of trying to do something without really knowing what they are doing. The Society I belong to is small but we truely try to do the right things with respect. When we are there to dance the host don't have to police our members. We have been the Host of many dances and we do appreciate those that try to dance for the dance not for themselves.

This dance is in respect for those that have made the sacrifice. I thank those that can't dance and gave me the possibility to dance. Thankyou guys.

Wa-Do!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:40 PM   #28
Teen Dancer

travelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
travelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
I have been watching this too. The fight will not be tollerated here in the open forum. A person was offering his opinon same as everyone else on here. I will not put up with mud slinging. Please argue in private. If you can not do that I will close this thread..................
Old 07-18-2002, 09:35 PM   #29
Tiny Tot Dancer

R I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond reputeR I Whiteside has a reputation beyond repute
Gourd Dancing

Brothers;

Perhaps it is time to think less of the differences in "how we dance", and think about the commonality of "why we dance".
Let us respect the circle, those who are no longer there, and one another so that we may pass on a good tradition to those who come after us and so that, with shaker in hand, we may all

keep smilin'

Aho.
R I Whiteside is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2002, 01:23 AM   #30
Tiny Tot Dancer

I would like to say that I am sorry & that I apologize if I have offended anyone on this post........ LWB
Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #31
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Has anyone heard from the Memphis Tia-Piah?
They were not at the annual dance this year in Oklahoma
Just curious
Sponsored Links