Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Mescal beans Mescal beans

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #21
a.k.a Numunu1971

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Albert
My uncle uses an awl he made from a coat hanger to use the burn method. Just need a section of the straight part and wrap the 'handle' with something so you don't burn your hand. As for holding the bean, cheap pliers with a little of the black sticky foam (don't know what it is called) seems to grip the bean better. I have another uncle that uses a drill press and the shells only break if he is using a big bit or if he is pressing too hard on the way through (blows out the bottom from the inside). What you do depends on what you have available and how many of those bad boys you will need to make holes in.

Some of this was also discussed in various threads in the straight dance forum recently.
I haven't tried the awl method yet. Maybe one day I will...
What I have finally perfected, for myself, is I took a small block of wood and drilled a hole in it about the size of a mescal bean....I set the bean in it, long wayz, and use my hand drill. Every now and then, i get a "blow out" like you were talking about, when I apply to much pressure on the bottom side. One of these days, if i get some extra cash-o-la, I am going to buy a small drill press like KiowaKat uses....anyway,,, Just wanted to respond back....Numunu1971
Old 07-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #22
WINDRIDER

windrider will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Maruawe,Numunu 1971,
The time to harvest em is in November.From what some of the Mescaleros have told me,the color of the bean has something to do with the amount of water and sun they get.The one I saw with both color beans was growing on an incline with young pines with lots of undergrowth shading one side,and the other side open to direct sunlight.They grow in high desert mountain altitudes,so you can see one on one side of the mountain might get more rain and sun than another on the other side.I am no expert,just what I have been told.Before moving here{southern NM}I had always got em back home{sw OK}from the NDN stores.
I found out that they will not grow on the desert floor very well,so that killed my idea of growing my own bushes.So the trick is to find em someplace that is not BLM land.They get really pissed about it.I got a lecture about it once from a game warden for pulling just 1 pod off a bush.He told me the only reason he did not fine the crap out of me,was because I am NDN.
Maybe sometime you may have some vacation time and can do a little road trip.We can take my trusty NDN Jeep up to the high spots to find em.
Not sure if I am gonna get to make Homecoming this year.If I do I will be shaking a gourd so we will meet.
URA,
windrider is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #23
a.k.a Numunu1971

Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider
Maruawe,Numunu 1971,
The time to harvest em is in November.From what some of the Mescaleros have told me,the color of the bean has something to do with the amount of water and sun they get.The one I saw with both color beans was growing on an incline with young pines with lots of undergrowth shading one side,and the other side open to direct sunlight.They grow in high desert mountain altitudes,so you can see one on one side of the mountain might get more rain and sun than another on the other side.I am no expert,just what I have been told.Before moving here{southern NM}I had always got em back home{sw OK}from the NDN stores.
I found out that they will not grow on the desert floor very well,so that killed my idea of growing my own bushes.So the trick is to find em someplace that is not BLM land.They get really pissed about it.I got a lecture about it once from a game warden for pulling just 1 pod off a bush.He told me the only reason he did not fine the crap out of me,was because I am NDN.
Maybe sometime you may have some vacation time and can do a little road trip.We can take my trusty NDN Jeep up to the high spots to find em.
Not sure if I am gonna get to make Homecoming this year.If I do I will be shaking a gourd so we will meet.
URA,
Thanks for the information.... I do appreciate it. That would be cool to go out in your trusty jeep. Do some bean hunting...gaww that sounds so NDN.
I'm not going to make homecoming this year either. I rotate between Otoe and Comanche every year, and this year..it's Otoe. I do make the Comanche Fair every year though...and this years dates are Sept. 29, 30 and Oct. 1....Take Care.....Numunu
Old 07-07-2006, 05:46 PM   #24
Tiny Tot Dancer

tcumonster is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 529.41
I have to agree...getting the beans out of the pods is nightmare. I wish I could find a quicker way to do it. The nice thing is that the mountain laurel is used as a decorative tree here, so there is a pretty good supply around.
tcumonster is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #25
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
I was reading old threads about Mescal beans and ran accross this one...
Number 7 post in this thread gives a nice step by step way to prep and get mescal beans ready for stringing
Old 08-02-2006, 03:20 PM   #26
Junior Dancer

park has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,308.63
In my experience, the best tool I've come across for getting the bean out of the pod is a pecan sheller. It looks like a giant pair of pliers with teeth. If you set the teeth on one end or the other of the pod, you shouldn't damage the bean. If you set the teeth right in the middle, the bean will be crushed.
park is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #27
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio-Manche
I haven't tried the awl method yet. Maybe one day I will...
What I have finally perfected, for myself, is I took a small block of wood and drilled a hole in it about the size of a mescal bean....I set the bean in it, long wayz, and use my hand drill. Every now and then, i get a "blow out" like you were talking about, when I apply to much pressure on the bottom side. One of these days, if i get some extra cash-o-la, I am going to buy a small drill press like KiowaKat uses....anyway,,, Just wanted to respond back....Numunu1971

lol Kiomanche....best dang drill press for 50 bucks at harbor frieght company....thanks to dad my first time making a hole was burning them with an awl.....making holes with a drill is better, no fumes lol...and a cheap wooden clothespin to hold the bean....
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links