Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance New Krazy Gourd Tradition New Krazy Gourd Tradition

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,538.52
Savings: 0.00
New Krazy Gourd Tradition

After witnessin' gourd dances in New Mexico and Arizona, I noticed something that I consider very strange and odd. At first I thought this new "tradition" may be something considered "spiritual" by those who practice it....

What I observed is

When someone is being honored in these two states, gourd dancers will approach the honoree and left a dollar bill to the sky, before placing it at the feet of the person being honored.

Hmmmmmmm?

So I did some asking around about what was going on with this new "tradition" of lifting a dollar bill to the sky before putting it on the ground. This is not a common practice in the state where the gourd dance is still considered ceremony by some.

Sure enough, this new "tradition" originated in the Southwest!

The story behind this new tradition is,

"There was a powwow in Tucson. There was a tremendous crowd of non Indians in the audience. It was time for a blanket dance. Because the non Indian audience did not know what a blanket dance was, a woman (who prefers to remain unnamed) suggested that the organizers go to the blanket and lift dollar bills in the air for the non Indian audience to see that the blanket dance was a dance for soliciting monetary donations.

After the organizers walked to the blanket, they lifted the dollar bills high into the air and placed them on the blanket, some of the gourd dancers followed suit and did the same thing. Then the audience slowly came to the blanket and also lifted the dollar bills to the air and....

Boom!

A NEW KRAZY TRADITION WAS BORN!!!!!

For those of you that visit the Gathering of Nations and witness the gourd dance, pay particularly close attention to this "new krazy tradition" that will take place.

...And then give a hearty laugh in knowing how it originated!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,449.19
Great story! Years from now we'll be hearing the historic, ceremonial reasons behind lifting the dollar!!
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
A gourd dance fad I have seen is what me and my friends dubbed "THE MONEY TRAIN".

Its when someone is being honored and EVERYONE follows suit regardless of wether or not they know the person or what he is being honored for. A line forms and me and my friends make WOO-WOO sounds.

You than see people who are nervous alooking back and forth and dont know if they should follow or not and they usually end up following. We make bets, "If he gonna go, is he, is he?....THERE HE GOES"
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G
Great story! Years from now we'll be hearing the historic, ceremonial reasons behind lifting the dollar!!

Yes, I agree.

When I first saw this, I was sitting at the drum and made fun of it to the other singers. The just laughed and shrugged their shoulders.

Has anybody else seen this at their gourd dances?
Old 01-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

ladysinger is a glorious beacon of light
I've never seen this "tradition". Thank the LORD.

I have been to Gathering of Nations pow-wow in 2004 but I was too busy singing to notice the lifting of the dolllar in the air when honoring somebody.

Last edited by ladysinger; 01-24-2006 at 12:35 PM..
ladysinger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysinger
I have been to Gathering of Nations pow-wow in 2004 but I was too busy singing to notice the lifting of the dolllar in the air when honoring somebody.
lsinger,

I am not picking on the GON. It's just that there are so many visitors there who can witness this Krazy new tradition at one time.

Will you be singing at the GON gourd dance this year? I bet we know each other *L
Old 01-25-2006, 03:54 AM   #7
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,227.95
Savings: 1.00
This is what I refer to as a line dance and I've seen this in some of MO and OK. Not sure just where it started but the first person I've seen doing it was Smoky Gum Pai(sp?).

This is a TRADITION I'm sure will be around for a while with new traditional stories to back it up.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:04 AM   #8
I don't do this for fun!

TacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
TacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 232.00
Talking

The first time I seen it was when I was in Leroy Ill. memeber that whome???? Those Taw-koys were super spritual.... I was A.D. and yall was host drum, Those guys where doing that samething..... Crazy Stuff, That main guy, gwah I can still see his face, it was sunday, it started to rain, so we moved under that tent, the main guy wanted to blessed the ground under the tent..... I told him no but he insisted.... damn near cried..... he just wanted to put a show..... I recorded that dance.... showed everyone back home and had a good laugh.... I seen hybrid dancers.... like half tradish, half fancy.... Good times....!!1
Old 01-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #9
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
all the southern drums have come to az and performed. when they lay a blanket down for the drum and the money train starts i dont see them laughing to much. navajos have been generous to nice drums.

all the societies have come and represented here also. alot of people including myself travel to see a nice gourd session. soo its a no wonder navajos want to join something thats respectful. all and all its not funney business around az.

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
i noticed the gourd threads seem like a place to rip on dancers. i enjoy a good chuckle but theres more it.

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
Southwest Ryda

ak_from_dine_nation is a name known to all
Angry keep hating !

I say blame the White People.hahahahaha.
ak_from_dine_nation is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #12
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_from_dine_nation
I say blame the White People.hahahahaha.
lol that's always fun..
Old 02-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #13
Absolute Low Life

ajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,005.64
Some northern tribes hold an honorary gift (not necessarily a dollar) up, and there's a lot of mixing between north and south down here.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It seems to be done with good intentions...unless someone substantial comes around from OK and says that it shouldn't be done.

ajibik is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #14
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajibik
Some northern tribes hold an honorary gift (not necessarily a dollar) up, and there's a lot of mixing between north and south down here.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It seems to be done with good intentions...unless someone substantial comes around from OK and says that it shouldn't be done.

Yeah, I see your point. It is harmless.

It just looks funny.

Holding the money up to the big "dollar bill god in the sky" (or ceiling if it is held in a gym). *L

I'm just waiting for someone to add to this ritual, by bowing on one knee, then wiggling their ears before laying their dollar down !!!

Monkey see, monkey do!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:27 PM   #15
Member since March 2000.

Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60.00
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
Yeah, I see your point. It is harmless.

It just looks funny.

Holding the money up to the big "dollar bill god in the sky" (or ceiling if it is held in a gym). *L

I'm just waiting for someone to add to this ritual, by bowing on one knee, then wiggling their ears before laying their dollar down !!!

Monkey see, monkey do!
...hey! I hold my dollars up at the .....*cough, cough*.."club"........dem ladies don't seem to mind.....aye!

...and for the record, Sophia is my "dollar bill goddess in the sky".....well.......up on stage....huggin on that pole.......

GAH!!!!!!!!!!

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2006, 01:01 AM   #16
I don't do this for fun!

TacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
TacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 232.00
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bo Jangles
...hey! I hold my dollars up at the .....*cough, cough*.."club"........dem ladies don't seem to mind.....aye!

...and for the record, Sophia is my "dollar bill goddess in the sky".....well.......up on stage....huggin on that pole.......

GAH!!!!!!!!!!
you can just hear Bo Jangles sing I'm in love with a stripper!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #17
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going to be giggling next time I see the someone raise their dollar to the sky. I'll be thinking, "someone needs to get the pole out." LOL
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #18
Southwest Ryda

ak_from_dine_nation is a name known to all
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyaanii mom
I'm going to be giggling next time I see the someone raise their dollar to the sky. I'll be thinking, "someone needs to get the pole out." LOL
LOL...I'll be on the side saying "Yeah Kiyaanii mom,you go mommie"j/k.
This thread is gettin funny.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:11 AM   #19
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 603.09
I'll raise a buck or two high in the air to help out a dancer or a drum in a blanket dance. I've been doing it for years. I do it to show the spectators what to do.

Sometimes you gotta show the spectators the way things are done. It take a lot of cash to get a drum or dancer to a powwow. You got gas and food expenses. Sometimes hotel too. If the drum or dancer is relying on blanket money to get home, then so be it. Sometimes you gotta help a brother or sister out.

It's not tradition in any way that I know of. It's just a way to get things moving.
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2006, 12:34 AM   #20
a.k.a Numunu1971

Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMJ Productions
I'll raise a buck or two high in the air to help out a dancer or a drum in a blanket dance. I've been doing it for years. I do it to show the spectators what to do.

Sometimes you gotta show the spectators the way things are done. It take a lot of cash to get a drum or dancer to a powwow. You got gas and food expenses. Sometimes hotel too. If the drum or dancer is relying on blanket money to get home, then so be it. Sometimes you gotta help a brother or sister out.

It's not tradition in any way that I know of. It's just a way to get things moving.
So then what is the M.C. for?
The powwows that I attend, the M.C.s will explain to the spectators what is going on during blanket songs, and why. If I was a spectator, who didn't know any better, and I saw some guy raising his dollars up in the air, it wouldn't move me to go into the arena. But if an M.C. is doing his job, then they will explain those things.
As far as expenses go, I think it is great to help out the drum, or head staff with donations. I think in the arena, it is more of a show of respect and gratitude. Many powwow committees will give staff an honorarium for coming.
I have yet to see anyone get rich on the powwow trail.....
Sponsored Links