Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Otoe-Missouri Encampment 2009 Otoe-Missouri Encampment 2009

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 37,423.92
Savings: 1.00
Otoe-Missouri Encampment 2009

Gourd Dance,

To the Otoe people it is something that taken very seriously which was
evident after a weekend spent Gourd Dancing with them during their
annual dance.

The singing was top notch with three Cozad brothers sitting at the drum
along with friends and relatives.

We have had several threads that have talked about the fact the gourd
dance is changing because all things change and there is nothing we can
do about it!
Buh...

Its hard to see it from the viewpoint of someone standing in their arena
surrounded with trees and an arbor stacked with brush for shade. With smoke
from cook-fires the smell of kidneys roasting as a background.
It's very evident in the manner of dress that they take this gift
seriously. It's evident in the renewal of another generation by the many
young boys who danced along side the men who have seen many a year on
this earth. To say I enjoyed the atmosphere and the songs is an
understatement. To me it was it was.... Heaven...
Old 07-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
a.k.a Numunu1971

Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Savings: 0.00
Otoe Encampment Perception #2

Josiah,
First, I want to say it was good to see you and the lady again. Good to dance with you again. Sharing that dance, in that arena. You know, it's Monday night, and I can still hear those songs, I still have that "feeling" with me. I can still feel the drum beat, like a clap of thunder.
I agree with everything you say, with all my heart. Our dance is more than a "social" dance to us. It is a spiritual dance. And not in a "new-agey" kind of way either. Something ancient, cannot be "new-agey". It is a gift from above, like that. And like any gift, it should be treated as such.
And like the MC said, any powwow you go to in the United States, has a form of our dance, and they do things differently. We do it the way we do it. We uphold those traditions and protocols to the best of our ability, so that our children, and our childrens children, will have this gift too.
The hospitality and the friendliness of our Otoe friends is beyond compare. The encampment grounds and campsites are top notch, trees are beautiful, and the arena was a blessed place.
The singers were excellent, so good, that the dancing was effortless. Just lean back, shake that gourd and feel the drum. I can't wait for next year....
A-Ho! Kio-Manche
Old 07-22-2009, 02:25 AM   #3
Jingle Dress Dancer

Rebward15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 372.00
Encampment was wonderful this year and I can't wait to for next year to come! My niece came for the second time and has been beging me ever since to teach her to dance so she can join in with the dancing. I love watching the dances especially since there are more of the younger people, like myself, joining the dances. It's good to see them learning the dances that have been a part of our culture for so long.
Rebward15 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Gourd Dance,

To the Otoe people it is something that taken very seriously which was
evident after a weekend spent Gourd Dancing with them during their
annual dance.

The singing was top notch with three Cozad brothers sitting at the drum
along with friends and relatives.

We have had several threads that have talked about the fact the gourd
dance is changing because all things change and there is nothing we can
do about it!
Buh...

Its hard to see it from the viewpoint of someone standing in their arena
surrounded with trees and an arbor stacked with brush for shade. With smoke
from cook-fires the smell of kidneys roasting as a background.
It's very evident in the manner of dress that they take this gift
seriously. It's evident in the renewal of another generation by the many
young boys who danced along side the men who have seen many a year on
this earth. To say I enjoyed the atmosphere and the songs is an
understatement. To me it was it was.... Heaven...
and don't forget sweat dripping down your face! awww I missed Otoe this year...
Old 07-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
JIMMY HENDRIX ROYALTY

NDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond repute
NDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by superndngyrl View Post
and don't forget sweat dripping down your face! awww I missed Otoe this year...
actually girl it got down in the 60's at night and did not quite get to 90 in the daytime.. the humidity was realll low and the breeze was blowing.. thought we were in southern ok..lol had to use blankets to sleep at night.. crazy weather for otoe but absolutely perfect..
Old 07-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
Dances for Enjoyment

Mato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,749.20
Probably one of the coolest Encampments I've been to....and I've been going to Otoe for many YEARS!

Have to agree with you Josiah, can't beat the "camp" enviroment, sounds of children playing, people laughing, druming & dancing in the afternoon and the smell of food cooking over open fires.....ahhh!

I made a number of video tapes this year, having DVD's made and sending them to my son who is headed off to Afghanistan soon. Not only will he be in our thoughts & prayers, he'll have Otoe '09 to watch, listen & dance too while he's there!

I am NOT Indian. I have never been to India, nor has any of my family before me! I have met these people from India, of whom you speak, and I am nothing like them. Why do you call me an Indian?

Mato Mahe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links