PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Gourd Dance (http://forums.powwows.com/f27/)
-   -   Otter Wraps (http://forums.powwows.com/f27/otter-wraps-54564/)

WhoMe 01-18-2010 03:33 PM

Otter Wraps

A long time ago, otter wraps were part of gourd dance attire for those who could attain them. In almost every old photograph, the dancers are wearing them around their braids.

Do many people wear them today? Why or why not?

Zotigh 01-18-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1357655)
A long time ago, otter wraps were part of gourd dance attire for those who could attain them. In almost every old photograph, the dancers are wearing them around their braids.

Do many people wear them today? Why or why not?

Some of us don't have nuttin' to wrap in otter. :D

WhoMe 01-20-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zotigh (Post 1357704)
Some of us don't have nuttin' to wrap in otter. :D

*LOL !!! Good one Z!

One of my best friends that works with me is a trapper and always has otter on hand. I know how to cut and prepare tanned otters for northern women's braids.

I wonder if the cut is different in any way for southern plains attire???

Zotigh 01-20-2010 12:45 PM

Speaking of otters....where did the otter turban originate?

WhoMe 01-20-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zotigh (Post 1357917)
Speaking of otters....where did the otter turban originate?

Z,

Good question. The otter cap is traditionally worn by tribes as far north as Hudson Bay, Canada (and maybe even beyond), all the way down to Texas. I'm sure there is not one consistent story about its origin and use. I'm sure each tribe has or had their own version.

I do know with some prairie tribes, the otter cap was equally prestigious to the wearer as the warbonnet was to many plains tribes.

Host-Drum 01-20-2010 04:38 PM

I know that the Gyat-thy-dau, Headsman were the only ones permitted to wear these otterwraps and/or turbans. Or the oldest son of the Chiefs family, Au-day-tahlee. The Otter itself is considered Dau-dau! if you know what i mean....thats all i have to say. Us Kgoy-goo have to watch what we say pertaining to this.

Pretty soon every Tom, Dick and Harry will be using it or proclaim they know its use because they read it on the Powwows.com.

Just like every other tribe proclaiming the origins of OUR DANCE, WHICH WE DID NOT STEAL FROM ANY OTHER TRIBE, PERIOD!!!!!! :thumbsup:

legalstraight 01-20-2010 07:51 PM

I have a solution for those with nothing to wrap, patent pending but you only need one package of superglue, 4 feet of rope and your wraps......

As for Turbans in Texas, who besides Kickapoo? They originally come from the Great Lakes Area. From what I see the turbans start getting sparse once you get south of Tulsa.

WhoMe 01-21-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Host-Drum (Post 1357943)
I know that the Gyat-thy-dau, Headsman were the only ones permitted to wear these otterwraps and/or turbans. Or the oldest son of the Chiefs family, Au-day-tahlee. The Otter itself is considered Dau-dau! if you know what i mean....thats all i have to say. Us Kgoy-goo have to watch what we say pertaining to this.

Pretty soon every Tom, Dick and Harry will be using it or proclaim they know its use because they read it on the Powwows.com.

Just like every other tribe proclaiming the origins of OUR DANCE, WHICH WE DID NOT STEAL FROM ANY OTHER TRIBE, PERIOD!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Host,

Haw. DayOhnday....I appreciate you telling it like it is.

I was recently looking at a picture of the men who helped revive the Kiowa Thia-pay-gaw. Each was dressed in their finest Kgoygoo clothing complete with otter tail braid wraps and roaches. To me they made me proud.

Each of these men were well respected. I wonder why none of them wore an otter cap?

WhoMe 01-21-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legalstraight (Post 1358008)
As for Turbans in Texas, who besides Kickapoo? They originally come from the Great Lakes Area. From what I see the turbans start getting sparse once you get south of Tulsa.

legal,

Kiowa, Comanche and Wichita all considered what is now the state of Texas, their eminent domain. The Wichita and their affiliated tribes were original inhabitants.

All three tribes wore otter caps.

It is said, the Tonkawa would even leave their otter caps on them ... while they cooked them!

BAY-GAAHHHHHH!!!! *L

j/k

Zotigh 01-21-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1358087)
legal,

Kiowa, Comanche and Wichita all considered what is now the state of Texas, their eminent domain. The Wichita and their affiliated tribes were original inhabitants.

All three tribes wore otter caps.

It is said, the Tonkawa would even leave their otter caps on them ... while they cooked them!

BAY-GAHHHHHH!!!! *L

j/k

What wine do you serve with Kiowa?

WhoMe 01-22-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zotigh (Post 1358143)
What wine do you serve with Kiowa?

Haw-nay wine, pahbi....

PeetTon'e thongya!!!

NaaNaaNaanaaaaa.....:tongue:

Zotigh 01-23-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1358287)
Haw-nay wine, pahbi....

PeetTon'e thongya!!!

NaaNaaNaanaaaaa.....:tongue:

oh! So, we're like pizza or Mexican food! :D

hehe

Yeah...beer would go more better.

You nut. :)