Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Questionable website Questionable website

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2006, 05:50 PM   #41
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
It this from the redstar website, or another more independent website with more credibility? Just curious?
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2006, 06:44 PM   #42
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagentaEagle
from the website....

The Cherokee Red Star Gourd Dance Society was sanctioned at the Spirit Powwow, State Fairgrounds, Albuquerque, New Mexico, in 1998 by Mr. Lawrence Shortman, an enrolled member of the Southern Cheyenne, a Southern Cheyenne Elder and an elder of the Southern Cheyenne Gourd Dance Society. He is a long time member of the Kiowa Black War Shield Society. Mr. Lawrence Shortman sought and received permission from the Kiowa and Southern Cheyenne to sanction the Cherokee Red Star. Mr. Harold Durr was selected as the Headman of the Society.

At the Gathering of Nations 2004, Bill Two Horses, a long time Gourd Dancer and an enrolled member of the Delaware Tribe of Western Oklahoma, his son Walter, and Mr. Al Bellamy, were inducted into the Society. Mr. Lawrence Shortman and Mr. Harold Durr honored Two Horses by selecting him as the Headman of the East for the Society, granting him permission to sanction Cherokee Red Star Gourd Dance Societies in the East.

Okay, now I see this website is full of BS.

I know Lawrence. He is S.Cheyenne. He started the War Shield Gourd Society of New Mexico (as opposed to the Kiowa Black War Shield Society). Somebody got their societies wrong as there is not a Kiowa society of that name.

NO KIOWAS in New Mexico, according to my informant from New Mexico, gave their permisson to "sanction" the Cherokee Red Star whatever. (There is a Kiowa connection group in Albuquerque, made up of New Mexico Kiowas).

"Headman of the East for the Society?"

Then... I'm the good witch of the North.

HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't laugh or I'll use my magic wand and sanction you! j/k
Old 02-14-2006, 01:06 AM   #43
USMC

Zotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Zotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,588.46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagentaEagle
He is a long time member of the Kiowa Black War Shield Society.
We do not have any society by that name.
Kiowa Tiah Piah
Kiowa Marine Veterans
American Indian Veterans

Zotigh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2006, 01:11 AM   #44
the legal plumes lady!

walela49 has a reputation beyond repute
walela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 112.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
"Headman of the East for the Society?"

Then... I'm the good witch of the North.

HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't laugh or I'll use my magic wand and sanction you! j/k
OMG LOL!!!!!...I 'bout peed my pants! ROFLMAO
walela49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2006, 02:25 AM   #45
Some Kinda Monster

Str8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 919.64
I was wondering if this mythical "Mr. Short" might have been Mr. Shortman.... but, like WhoMe and freaking everyone else who's ever been to a couple of NM powwows, we all know that Lawrence would not have done what is being attributed to him.

Given that their website is so obviously fulla BS.... I'm thinking that these freakish hippy-trippy new-agey wannabe pseudo NDNs (of course, once again, they gotta claim to be Cherokee, dammit!) were basically taking advantage of Lawrence's very kind personality. He probably asked one or all of them to join him for a song, or stand beside him, or he gave them a dollar, and probably talked to them very nicely for a whole whopping ten minutes, and...........

BLAM!

fools think that means they got all kinda rights. BUH!

Ticks me off - when an elder is being polite or kind to someone, their intentions get misconstrued, abused, disrespected by freaks like these.

(One good note - the Kiowas got a breand freaking new society outta this whole deal! Haha! I vote Zotigh as Headman of the Black War Shield Anti-gourd-dance-theft Society.... and instead of a whip man, WhoMe can be the magic wand man..... "Get up and dance or I'll sprinkle you with fairy dust!" hahahaha.....)
Old 02-14-2006, 02:35 AM   #46
USMC

Zotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Zotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,588.46
I am so glad to hear good words of Mr. Shortman.

My mind, prolly like many others, was begining to give him bad thoughts he never deserved. Bad thoughts bestowed on him by those taking his name for their own purpose.

Thank you for your post.
Kiowa Tiah Piah
Kiowa Marine Veterans
American Indian Veterans

Zotigh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2006, 02:01 AM   #47
Pow Wow Bum

CrazyInDn is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
ur right!

Yep, Mr.Shortman would never do anything like that!! He would be the first one to tell these "hobbs" where to stick it!!! lol
Old 02-15-2006, 10:49 AM   #48
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyInDn
Yep, Mr.Shortman would never do anything like that!! He would be the first one to tell these "hobbs" where to stick it!!! lol

Chaif Dirty Face, *L

When you see Lawrence, tell him what the website says about him! Or betta' yet, tell Ida Ray *L

Are you going to Denver March?

If so, we need to hang out after the powwow?