PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Gourd Dance (http://forums.powwows.com/f27/)
-   -   salt shaker rattles (http://forums.powwows.com/f27/salt-shaker-rattles-34309/)

rodond 07-12-2006 02:38 PM

salt shaker rattles

does it matter if you use the salt or prepper shaker when making a rattle.seem i read some where it does should the shaker be putt on up right or upside down/have seen it both way

WocusWoman 07-12-2006 03:02 PM

I would think it's preference; but if you look closely at them, the holes on the salt shaker are always smaller than the pepper shaker. If I were making them, I would place the shaker upright on the rod, just looks better. I'm making rattles currently, but out of a different item, kinda fun to put together.

Josiah 07-13-2006 12:35 PM

I have two gourds
one that shaker is up and the other is down
I have heard of and seen it both ways
As far as Salt or Pepper
I use the salt one because it has smaller holes
Dont recall ever seeing the pepper one but I am sure its used also

WhoMe 07-13-2006 12:58 PM

There is no rule that you must use a salt or pepper shaker. *L

I have seen some very attractive gourds made from painted cans. I used to own a salt shaker rattle and two painted can rattles, but have since misplaced them.

So this year I used one made of an ornamental shaped metal apple shaped container. It worked fine.

Redstone 07-13-2006 05:12 PM

I have always seen the lid at the top, but honestly I am not sure if it matters. I have two copper shaker rattles, and one gourd rattle. My brother has even used large tea strainers, and last year at ASU, I saw one made out of a door knob. The door nob one was different, a little small for my taste, but it worked. I've seen others made of evaporated milk cans, and painted.

Zotigh 07-13-2006 06:23 PM

Mine is a milk can.

In case I get thirsty out there. ;)

I've seen some very pretty copper and silver condiment shakers.

Most anything is used to make "gourd" shakers. We just don't use real gourds (anymore) in respect to the Native American Church. You will see real gourds out when dancing at times. One assumes those are NAC members.

TacO5000 07-14-2006 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe
So this year I used one made of an ornamental shaped metal apple shaped container. It worked fine.

Gwah I bet it looked like whome was dancing with a carmal apple!! mmmm mmmm!

WhoMe 07-14-2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacO5000
Gwah I bet it looked like whome was dancing with a carmal apple!! mmmm mmmm!

Aw heck, I don't care what I dance with... I just shake my groove thang' and be happy! :shades_sm

Josiah 07-14-2006 03:29 PM

Ok what kind of crazy gourds have you seen out there???
I was given a gourd on a stick well a forked stick

WhoMe 07-14-2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josiah
Ok what kind of crazy gourds have you seen out there???
I was given a gourd on a stick well a forked stick

Well,

as a matter of fact, I have seen some gourds at gourd dances that were, well, unusual.

I have seen deer toes on a long stick, lot's of pueblo ceremonial gourds, a hollow bladder gourd shaped in a small circle and a mexican cucaracha gourd from south of the border!!

Kio-Manche 07-17-2006 08:03 AM

Salt and peppa' shakers! Thats what i use! The older ones where smaller than the ones nowadays. But they are getting harder to find. From time to time, I will look on E-bay and get those smaller ones there. Crazy Crow sells some too. I saw a neat gourd this past weekend, It was made out of part of a longhorn...horn.

Josiah 07-17-2006 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kio-Manche
Salt and peppa' shakers! Thats what i use! The older ones where smaller than the ones nowadays. But they are getting harder to find. From time to time, I will look on E-bay and get those smaller ones there. Crazy Crow sells some too. I was a neat gourd this past weekend, It was made out of part of a longhorn...horn.

That is where i found my salt and pepper shakers on Ebay! I found a pair that were nice and small and did not have the handle they were painted orange but i cleaned them up and polished it using some aircraft polishing compound and now they shine whew!!
I am looking for one of those oldtime tine cans they are so cool looking and would make a great groud

streamhawk 07-17-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe
Aw heck, I don't care what I dance with... I just shake my groove thang' and be happy! :shades_sm

that's 'cause you got your mojo working WhoMe. I've been told I have rocks in my head, maybe I could just stick some horse hair on my head and shake it around.....well, maybe not :idiot: . I use salt shaker too, lid on the top. The shaker from Crazy Crow is useful if that's the type you want.

Kio-Manche 07-17-2006 12:29 PM

I am working on a new gourd at this time, working on the beadwork now. I was even thinking about painting it. But I'm not sure yet. The two cans I got from Ebay were good, but dull. I wonder if there is some kind of polish I can get locally.
I got some new cans from CampingWorld. They are the big cans. They are almost too big. I'm afraid I might get going out there and accidentally club somebody...LOL...

Josiah 07-17-2006 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kio-Manche
I am working on a new gourd at this time, working on the beadwork now. I was even thinking about painting it. But I'm not sure yet. The two cans I got from Ebay were good, but dull. I wonder if there is some kind of polish I can get locally.
I got some new cans from CampingWorld. They are the big cans. They are almost too big. I'm afraid I might get going out there and accidentally club somebody...LOL...

A good polish is NEVRDULL
you can get that at any Autoparts store
I sanded mine with ever finer sandpaper untill i got to 2000 grit then when to polish cloths and polishing compound

Kio-Manche 07-17-2006 12:41 PM

Quote:

A good polish is NEVRDULL
you can get that at any Autoparts store
I sanded mine with ever finer sandpaper untill i got to 2000 grit then when to polish cloths and polishing compound

Thanks for the information. I'll give it a try....Kio-Manche

rodond 07-17-2006 08:20 PM

i found a set of crome salt and pepper shakers about the right size in the barbecue section at walmart didn't like the ones from crazy crow to hard to keep clean and dent free

Josiah 07-18-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodond
i found a set of crome salt and pepper shakers about the right size in the barbecue section at walmart didn't like the ones from crazy crow to hard to keep clean and dent free

I use to use rocks. BB's and various other things in my gourd and they would dent away the can
But a friend of mine told me about popcorn! And just the popcorn that is left over in a bowl that has been popped.
They are completly without water now and wont break,
but they make a very nice sound and best yet won't dent your gourd!

Kio-Manche 07-19-2006 07:40 AM

Quote:

I use to use rocks. BB's and various other things in my gourd and they would dent away the can
But a friend of mine told me about popcorn! And just the popcorn that is left over in a bowl that has been popped.
They are completly without water now and wont break,
but they make a very nice sound and best yet won't dent your gourd!

The thing I really like about that idea is the fact that there is actually a use for those dang unpopped kernels. LOL. Thanks Josiah and Rodond.....Kio-Manche

tcumonster 07-23-2006 06:45 PM

While we are talking rattles, does anyone have suggestions on making the tassel that sits atop the rattle? The horsehair on the last one I made became a little uncontrolable, so I was wondering if there were some hints I could try on the next one. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jon