Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance What Happened to Gourd Dancing in North Carolina What Happened to Gourd Dancing in North Carolina

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2002, 01:18 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
nighthawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: North Carolina Robeson County, for all its downfalls it is still the only place Ill ever call home
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
What Happened to Gourd Dancing in North Carolina

I've been powwowing most of my life and have traveled quiet a bit and seend gourd dances in many different states with differnt tribes but in NC it rarely happens and then only in Cherokee country as far as I know. What would i need to do or who would I need to contact to revive the tradition in this area. Help please.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:55 PM   #2
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Just asking

Is gourd dancing a age old tradition in the southeast?
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2002, 12:34 AM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

nighthawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: North Carolina Robeson County, for all its downfalls it is still the only place Ill ever call home
I was just asking because I know there are plenty of natives at nearby Fort Bragg that have expressed a wish to dance at out local powwows but they need a drum to sing the songs. None in the area know any as far as I know and I was just asking whom could I ask that has good knowledge that maybe able to teach me if they choose to do so, so that the Bragg guys can come and dance. They know the dancin but aren't knowledgable enough to teach songs. Thank You for any help.