Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Women Dancers Women Dancers

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2002, 02:27 PM   #1
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
luvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond repute
luvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Women Dancers

.question?

...i overheard some of my sisters pals... complaining this:

...there was a young girl about early 20's she had on a Southern style buckskin dress and she was out in the middle of the arena with the other men gourd dancers.

They were saying... "Oh no she isn't out there..she is not even a veteran!!"

...another said..."well that's o.k. she can be out there if she is not a veteran but she should NOT be OUT THERE right in the middle like that!! At least get to the side"

....another said... "well, ladies can dance on the outer circle of the arena with their shawls even if they are not Veterans nor invited by the Gourd Society dancing and they can be from any tribe!"

...so I was curios for myself...what is the "correctness?" :p
Old 12-12-2002, 03:23 PM   #2
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
"well, ladies can dance on the outer circle of the arena with their shawls even if they are not Veterans nor invited by the Gourd Society dancing and they can be from any tribe!"
This is what I have always been told. This is how I dance, with my shawl and on the outer edge.
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2002, 03:48 PM   #3
Beth

Beth has a reputation beyond repute
Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
women

The only time I have seen a women move forward from the bench area is if she wants to honor a man. She usually goes to him,puts money at his feet then moves to behind him to dance the song.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2002, 02:36 AM   #4
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,553.63
As I have been taught the women dance behind us, these are usually our family ladies. Some of the women that are dancing aren't necessarily family members though. It isn't proper for a woman to dance out in the circle along with the men. not that these ladies can't help with an honor dance.

Hope I didn't muddy the water to badly.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:08 AM   #5
Official Hickie Checker

MaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond repute
there are war mother societies. However, they too dance on the side. Gourd dancing has been around before women vets. I think that girls should be on the side and dance. and only out ther when being hononored or when honoring someone. And not be out there all the time whether or not she is a a vet!!
that is just my opinion. and the way i was taught!!
MaggieB is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2002, 01:16 AM   #6
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
A-Ho MaggieB:

I so agree.

These women Vets I believe should display their honors on their shawls/blankets. The women I know in my Gourd Society would have a word or two for a woman trying to dance out in the circle with the men. MAGGIEB comes from a strong culturally strict family and does have some insight to the womens perspctive.

Thanks for your words and thoughts.

Just Stomp 'til sun up!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2002, 11:44 AM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

yellowhawk33 will become famous soon enough
I've never been taught anything on this subject. I've just "seen" things around the pow wow grounds. I have been going to pow wows for nearly 15 or 20 years BUT I never dance, only to two steps or something like that. But what I have seen around the pow wow grounds during gourd dancing women never came out into the arena to Gourd Dance. They only came out to honor the men by placing money at their feet then went back out of the arena. And the ones that did dance stood on the outside of the arena with their shawls wrapped around them. Thats just what I have seen at various pow wows. I mainly attend the pow wows around the Midwest part.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:05 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

napesne is an unknown quantity at this point
gourd dancing and correctness

see i am a dude, who was raised that the women have their place, and where i am now there is a thing going on where some women want to be dance out in the dance arena with the men because they too are veterans. but i see them going about this in the wrong way, they are pushing THEMSELVES to the front to be honored. Now I am a singer, and i dont get honored that much, nor do i ask people to honor me, but when they do, it means a lot to me.

i have a great deal of respect for my female relatives, women are the ones that first started teaching me songs. and i dont say this to be chauvinistic or to sound that way, but women have their place. and let me add, men also have their place.

another thing we have going on out this way is some men folks of the alternative lifestyle (gay, to be blunt) are pushing themselves into the arena. Now, i dont know how it is out y'all's way but this is frowned upon out this way.
Again men have their place and women have thiers, there is one young man out here who is choosing to dance along with the women during the gourd dance, and to come to the drum and to sing with the women and to wear a shawl like a woman.

Again men have their places, and this young man is disrespecting the drum and the singers and the dancers. I have seen people who have chosen to follow an alternative lifestyle at pow-wows, in the arena.

But this is gourd dance. Excuse me for my rant.
napesne is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2003, 02:52 AM   #9
cherosage

Around here we have a few Feminant males but they stay in the male role when dancing. The Gourd dance isn't usually their gathering place.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:09 PM   #10
~*Southernz Elite*~

SBZ4life has a spectacular aura about
luvs2rodeo.....Where did this situation take place at?

You ever notice that woman dancing out there with the men only happen far off from where it originated? (sigh) You know how they came out with tapes on how to dance "native" style. Maybe they need a beginners tape or book on how to Gourd dance...Im gonna stop here........

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999
SBZ4life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2003, 06:05 PM   #11
Junior Dancer

park has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,308.63
Quote:
Originally posted by SBZ4life
You ever notice that woman dancing out there with the men only happen far off from where it originated? (sigh) [/B]
Well . . . . I know of one case several years ago where it happened right there amongst those whose dance it is. I was shocked. I was surprised no one said or did anything. Comanche lady. Maybe you know her . . . . Any thoughts?
park is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2003, 08:38 PM   #12
~*Southernz Elite*~

I dont know of any Comanche woman dancing like that...Where was this and when? Kinda interesting hearing that a person like that would dance that.........

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999
Old 02-18-2003, 11:51 PM   #13
cherosage

I saw this happen a few years ago in KC MO at a Memorial dance. Many of us stopped dancing and packed up. We didn't totally leave the dance, just the Gourd session. The next session she didn't come out to dance. We danced then!

I have never seen a woman dance on line with the men in Lawton, Anadarko, or Carnegie.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:05 AM   #14
Junior Dancer

park has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,308.63
SBZ4life: I sent you a pm.
park is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2003, 05:52 PM   #15
~*Southernz Elite*~

Ive only heard of women dancing in Missouri...WHATS UP WITH YALL!!! DONT MAKE ME COME OVER THERE>lol..jk jk, Ima have to check out a powwow there..since Im just a skip away.

Old 02-20-2003, 02:25 PM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

napesne is an unknown quantity at this point
woman dancer in OK????

why did you all go private??? so was there a reason for that women being out there or did you ever find out???

Well sometimes some of these things happen closer than you think?!?

And those of out here where they happen usually are amazed that those people who are in the know out here from the tribes from which these dance originated, usually don't say anything about this stuff happening?
napesne is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2003, 12:58 AM   #17
cherosage

SBZ4life: The women that I've seen trying to gourd dance over here in MO are from out of state. I know that there are far far more that know the protocol than not. The one time in KC MO that I remember, the Head Gourd dancer from Kansas( I wont mention the tribe or where he is from) allowed (invited) the woman Vet. to dance with him.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:38 PM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

Bobby Stills is an unknown quantity at this point
women?

I've never heard of women gourd dancers. does anyone know why
Bobby Stills is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links