Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives > Pow Wow Singing Idea Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2000, 05:13 PM   #1
BPlenty

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Lightbulb Idea

Wanted to run something by some of you guys. I know there are about four to five drums on the east coast that sing Lakota songs (probably more, but only 4-5 that sing them correctly ) and was wondering what the possibility was of all of us getting together at one pow wow and setting up one large group and kick out some songs. The drums I'm referring to now are:
Otter Tail
Oak Leaf
Bum Knees
Eagle Rock
Spring Creek
Leading Fighter

Just curious. PM me or write back if you wanna try to get something together. Scott
  Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2000, 05:21 PM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

tigger has a reputation beyond repute
tigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
Savings: 0.00
hey scott,
i would be glad to get something like together but for soem reason that idea sounds familar. oh, yeah, we talked about it this weekend.
i'll talk to the guys from Oak Leaf and let you know, since i sit with them also.
and thanks for all the names, i could not remember them.

also, to all the Lakota singing drums on the East Coast area. can you put your drum names, head singers name and address and phone numbers on here. i need to get into contact with every lakota drum in the area because me and my fiance want to host a pow wow in conjunction with our wedding and would love to have all of ya'l there singing and dancing. all other drums would be welcome also.

keith
tigger is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2000, 11:57 AM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

tigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond repute
well, the lead singer from Oak Leaf (says to find out when we could all get together and he'll see what we can do.) he likes this idea

keith
Old 11-09-2000, 05:22 PM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

Benther_Dunthat is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
OK, guys, this is a shot in the dark but here goes. You all are pretty spread out. Would you consider Athens, Ohio, Ohio University as a possible place to gather?

Here's why. The local student group, Native People's Awareness Coalition (NPAC) wants to sponsor a "concert" style event for on Jan 5th or 6th, 2001.

This is intended to be a benefit event to raise money for the Leonard Peltier Defense Fund(sp). There is a last minute push to try to get Clinton to grant him amnesty before leaving office.

Although not planned as a powwow so far, with some work and shuffle it could be turned into one. We think with some drums we could draw 200 to 400 interested students and community members. We get that sort of turnout for a decent guest speaker. If we put out the word and make it a winter powwow we could probably draw a good number of dancers providing the weather is good.

Any takers?

The event is not a done deal yet. We're looking at using the ball room of the OU student center if it is to be a big event. There might be some "funds" from the college to help pay for it but not likely much. Remember it is a "benefit".
Benther_Dunthat is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2000, 09:09 PM   #5
Pow Wow Committee

i'll be willing to sing and/or dance or both. i'm not sure about the two drums that i sing with but will talk to them and i'll talk to some other dancers and singers for ya.

keith
Old 11-10-2000, 10:18 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

O'BOY, O'BOY,
The balls start'n to roll. The boys in Hampton are talking, the boys in Morgantown are talking, the boys in Cleveland are talking. Anybody else getting excited, I can almost hear the songs already! This could be a GREAT winter social!

Benther
Old 11-15-2000, 10:41 AM   #7
BPlenty

I can't speak for the rest of the drums or head singers, but ours wouldn't be interested in something like that because of the political and AIM ties that a gathering like that would bring. If it was a benefit for your native student organization we'd be more than willing to come up there, but we don't like to mix politics with our drum.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2000, 11:42 AM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally posted by BPlenty:
I can't speak for the rest of the drums or head singers, but ours wouldn't be interested in something like that because of the political and AIM ties that a gathering like that would bring. If it was a benefit for your native student organization we'd be more than willing to come up there, but we don't like to mix politics with our drum.

No problem. I understand those who feel this way. Still, anybody else out there interested in singing for this benefit event?
Benther_Dunthat

Old 11-15-2000, 12:29 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

creedream is an unknown quantity at this point
hey I know a couple of buds that are interested in singing for this benefit event, just get in touch with me on the info
creedream is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2000, 03:34 PM   #10
BPlenty

Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2000, 05:13 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

synee8 is an unknown quantity at this point
I 've been reading and was wonder if any gropus are interested in a "pick up". I've been on the trail for some years now.
synee8 is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2000, 01:33 AM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

professional powwow bum is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I'm sure you'll find that alot of singers will come to support Leonard in any way possible as the majority of us singers are warriors in our hearts just like Leonard and we as singers prove this every day by singing war dance songs and veteran songs to honor those who have stood up and sacrificed themselves for our people.
professional powwow bum is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2000, 01:35 AM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

professional powwow bum is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I'm sure you'll find that alot of singers will come to support Leonard in any way possible as the majority of us singers are warriors in our hearts just like Leonard and we as singers prove this every day by singing war dance songs and veteran songs to honor those who have stood up and sacrificed themselves for our people.
professional powwow bum is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2000, 02:29 PM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

Senoy; Creedream; Whitewolf and others interested in singing at Ohio University, Athens, Ohio:

Thank you for your positive response. Sorry I've had some trouble communicating and I've got to stop as the middleman if this is going to happen.
I'm willing and trying to help BUT, details of the event are being worked out by someone else.
Therefore I am forwarding your comments and giving you the email here:
Please contact Megan at:
[email protected]

Tell her Michael sent you.
aka Benther_Dunthat

Sponsored Links