Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives > Pow Wow Singing Omaha Flag Song Omaha Flag Song

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2002, 09:42 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
QunnTheEskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Omaha Flag Song

I am a leader of an eager young Drum group, and we are seeking research on a few songs which we are studying. The first is the Omaha Flag Song.

I have heard the song from Omaha White Tail's Kickin' It Up and seek the words and translation. I also need the history of the song and some assurance that I am permitted to be singing this song.

Thank you for I am young,
Cory
QunnTheEskimo is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2002, 11:57 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

echohawk neconie is an unknown quantity at this point
Cory, you should ask a gentlemen by the name of Jacob Drum he is the Drum keeper for the Omaha tribe out in Macy, Nebraska. He would know the words for the flag song. I am a singer as well and I had a ceremony done by him so call info and he should be listed.
echohawk neconie is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2002, 09:40 AM   #3
Teen Dancer

travelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
travelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
Look in Alice Flecthers report on the Omahas she recorded and documented alot of different songs they still use today
Old 05-08-2002, 01:40 AM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

southernsky is a jewel in the rough
sing your own flag song!!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
OmahaLadySinga

OmahaLadySinga is an unknown quantity at this point
just for your information, the gentleman, very well respected man*Jacob Drum......passed onto the spirit world a few years back, but there are others who can help ya if would like. Thanks for your interest in our tribal flag song.
OmahaLadySinga is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2006, 11:04 PM   #6
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by QunnTheEskimo
I am a leader of an eager young Drum group, and we are seeking research on a few songs which we are studying. The first is the Omaha Flag Song.

I have heard the song from Omaha White Tail's Kickin' It Up and seek the words and translation. I also need the history of the song and some assurance that I am permitted to be singing this song.

Thank you for I am young,
Cory

It is good to see young people asking appropriate questions when it come to songs like this. Even more so, it should be called to attention that it is even more appropriate for people like echohawk, travelingmocs, and OmahaLadySinga to point young people like Cory, and even myself, in the right direction when we have questions. This is true encouragment.

This is not to say that southernskys' point is not valid. I too sing my own flag song, vet song, etc. But even more important to remember is that we must never let these old songs die. Thank you to those of you who have taught me that lesson and shared the songs of your people with me.

Jason
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
Savings: 1.00
Way I was taught was that if you are singing the Ponca Flag Song, you better have a Ponca sitting on the drum, if you're singing the Omaha Flag Song, same goes... one of my favorite flag songs is the Sauk and Fox Flag Song on the Rosehill Live at Hinkley CD, but I won't sing it because that's not what I am, and none of my singers is Sauk or Fox.
If you have an Omaha singing on your drum have him get permission from his elders to sing it and get it taught the right way... otherwise I wouldn't sing it... just my two cents worth.
RedShield is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links