Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives > Pow Wow Singing What happens when you can't "sky" like you use to? What happens when you can't "sky" like you use to?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
Taskahoi Atsuti

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
What happens when you can't "sky" like you use to?

Well, I've noticed this happening to me as of late and I'm not too sure why. The singing itself is stronger, but I just can't hit too many high notes nor hold them for too long. Do you other "seasoned" singers out there see this as a thing of "maturation" or maybe there are other factors out there affecting this?
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,816.57
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSS
Well, I've noticed this happening to me as of late and I'm not too sure why. The singing itself is stronger, but I just can't hit too many high notes nor hold them for too long. Do you other "seasoned" singers out there see this as a thing of "maturation" or maybe there are other factors out there affecting this?
LSS,

Luckily I don't have that problem *L

As I have been told over and over by MANY knowledgable singers....

"When you start a song, sing it at a level were EVERYBODY can help and add to the song. That is what singing is about."

Yes, I sing with many younger singers who absolutely love to sky....

but when you get THAT high there are only a few singing, its not pretty, nor do you get full volume.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #3
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
yeah....I hear and feel what you're saying.....and thats why I'm pretty good about watching how I sing; or at least how I start up songs.

often times, with the natural progression of a song, my heart says "go", but my gutt & chords say "breathe; you can't do that". often times when I hold back, the song doesn't sound as good.

The only reason I'm bringing this idea up is b/c I know there are many young singers out there who may run into a similar problem. I know my problem comes from trying to do too much which so few singers.

Another thing has been that I've changed my style of singing as of late, thus, changing my style of songs. Being more of a control in many aspects.
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:30 AM   #4
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
Well how I was taught is if you want somthing you have to work for it, not expect it to be there. I know what you're talking about because I asked my uncles the same question. They all said the same thing. Take a song that hits the notes, and sing it 2-3 times a day all out. Try hitting the notes each day and you should be able to get it back after a while. It's all about training your voice. All you have to do is work. Unless ofcourse you really just CAN'T hit them lol. But I have noticed this fall that my voice has "skyed" a lot more then the summer. I think the climate has somewhat of an effect on certain singers voices.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSS
....often times, with the natural progression of a song, my heart says "go", but my gutt & chords say "breathe; you can't do that". often times when I hold back, the song doesn't sound as good....... I've changed my style of singing as of late, thus, changing my style of songs. Being more of a control in many aspects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
....I know what you're talking about because I asked my uncles the same question. They all said the same thing. Take a song that hits the notes, and sing it 2-3 times a day all out.

LSS and suthernWB,

You guys' crack me up!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
Taskahoi Atsuti

Quote:
Well how I was taught is if you want somthing you have to work for it, not expect it to be there. I know what you're talking about because I asked my uncles the same question. They all said the same thing. Take a song that hits the notes, and sing it 2-3 times a day all out. Try hitting the notes each day and you should be able to get it back after a while. It's all about training your voice. All you have to do is work. Unless ofcourse you really just CAN'T hit them lol. But I have noticed this fall that my voice has "skyed" a lot more then the summer. I think the climate has somewhat of an effect on certain singers voices.
Hmmmmm....interesting bit on the climate....although I knew that, sometimes you just forget.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #7
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
LSS and suthernWB,

You guys' crack me up!
How's that?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #8
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
How's that?

Just the terms and verbage used to describe singing.

I normally don't hear Indian singing described or broken down the way you do.

I have never had that luxury of someone breaking down song structure for me.

Instead it is usually "I'm going to sing this new song 4 times through. Listen the 1st time through and do your best to catch it and help me sing! Were up next!"
Old 11-15-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

UrbanNdn79 will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Then maybe you're just getting too old!! Eh chyna just kiddin!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:08 PM   #10
Taskahoi Atsuti

lol...me old....

That cracks me up....BUT...

I feel like it sometimes

Old 11-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #11
Junior Dancer

Ivanasnagu is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 0.00
LSS - you're just maturing and your voicebox is getting old. Take it from WhoMe..... you don't have to start a song way up there. You don't even have to raise your voice that much to get it started. Just watch the top lead singers and you'll see what I mean.
Ivanasnagu is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links