Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives > Pow Wow Singing Womens Drums Womens Drums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 11:23 PM   #21
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
trapstar99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Danbear,
it's me dean many women do sing on drums up north and it is acceptable in many areas but living where we do many people are not open minded bc maybe their tribe or clan disagrees with it.
trapstar99 is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #22
malachys mama

clm is just really nice
i saw this drum group once before where the women out numbered the men i think there was like 5 women and like 2 men some people who came from out of state were what is going on
clm is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #23
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
I think that you should define little girls. A baby girl younger than 2, I don't see a problem with that. But I think, depending on tribal beliefs, that once the girl advances beyond that age, she should begin to be taught appropriate behavior around the drum.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #24
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
Here's a question for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
I think that you should define little girls. A baby girl younger than 2, I don't see a problem with that. But I think, depending on tribal beliefs, that once the girl advances beyond that age, she should begin to be taught appropriate behavior around the drum.
Lets say that the childs mother does not attend the pow wow but is gung-ho about hangin w/ dad. I know, whenever I am father, I will be a little uneasy about my daughter (if thats what we're blessed with) is not in my sights. Now, I am well aware that the guys at the drum will be her uncles and they would not let anything happen to her...but, there is still that since of urgency as a parent.
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2006, 12:14 AM   #25
Singer & Dancer

nativesweetie77 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm torn on this issue. I see both LSS and suthernwaterbird's points on the matter. While I don't really agree with girls siiting at the drum I understand LSS' concerns. As a parent myself I understand the need to have your children in your sight line at all times ( You can never be too careful, even at Pow Wow). I think in the situation that a father has his daughter at an event and has no one to wach her it would depend on two things, the age of the child and how the other drummers feel about it. Very young girls I don't really see a problem with but once they reach a certain age I don't really think it's appropriate.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #26
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Yea that is true, I know I have had to be head singer, and watch my lil bro n sis while my mom was sick once, and it's not an easy task. That's when (if there are any) the other singers wive's and mom's come in to help a lil bit. Usually I just sit my lil sis behind me, beside the women while she played. But ofcourse, we know kids, and they don't just sit there the whole time. You know what LSS, we should start up a powwow daycare, 20 bux and a NDN Taco PER KID! ayez lol
Old 02-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #27
CROW BEAR

danbear is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 150.00
sounds like a plan

Quote:
Yea that is true, I know I have had to be head singer, and watch my lil bro n sis while my mom was sick once, and it's not an easy task. That's when (if there are any) the other singers wive's and mom's come in to help a lil bit. Usually I just sit my lil sis behind me, beside the women while she played. But ofcourse, we know kids, and they don't just sit there the whole time. You know what LSS, we should start up a powwow daycare, 20 bux and a NDN Taco PER KID! ayez lol

that sound's like a plan there
danbear is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2006, 11:28 PM   #28
Singer & Dancer

nativesweetie77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Now that sounds like a definite plan. Daycare at a Pow Wow. Where can I sign up! Just to warn ya'll though my two are quite " active". So whoever's in charge might want to watch out. Lol.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 AM   #29
nobody

lol we might have to make an agreement with the food stands. No ice cream/any sugar product sold to children under 10. lol shooot I might have to hire some more help... Any takers?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:47 PM   #30
FryBread Grease

KeenKiowaBabe4Ever is on a distinguished road
Huhn

I Hear That Same Way As Most Here, That Women Are And Should Not Be Alout Near A Drum, That Is Tha Ole Way And That Is That Way That It Should Be. Respect The Ole Way As Much As Possible Please, I Mean Why Not? Just Cause They White World Has Changed Most Dont Let It Change What Is Really There! Our Existance Relies On What Is There Nd What Was Given To Us From Elders, Why Would We Be Taught Something Just To Have Another Take That Away And Start A New Fad?

KeenKiowaBabe4Ever is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #31
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Quote:

Sorry dude....inflation....20 bux and 2 ndn tacos per brat!!!!!!!!!!
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2006, 08:24 PM   #32
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
I dunno, as far as I'm concerned... on a southern drum, the only people actually at the drum should be men, with the women backing them up seated directly behind them. That's my opinion and I have never seen anything different on a southern drum....

Now northern is a different story, my wife is from the Pacific Northwest, and there are a lot of all women or mostly women or mixed drums I have seen out there when we go to pow wows out there. Most are family drums, but my wife and some of her friends formed an all women drum group when she was younger and sang all over the northwest with no problem, even contesting with no problem.

She and I have definate differences of opinion on this matter, but she knows as long as I am a Southern singer it is a moot point, if I was singing northern though... it may be a different story.
RedShield is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links