Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives > Crafts barettes?? barettes??

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2003, 11:45 AM   #1
LumbeeTurtle

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
barettes??

ok ive finished the beadwork for my barette its a circle about the size of my hand -- now what???
one girl told me to hot glue it to the skin and then sew around the edges
but how do i get the feather to stay on?

as you can easily tell im lost ANY help would be appreciated!
wa-do
  Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2003, 01:31 PM   #2
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
Do you want the feather to be removeable or stuck in your barrette full-time?

I wouldn't use hot glue. Too hard to sew through.
wyo_rose is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2003, 02:09 PM   #3
LumbeeTurtle

i would like to be able to remove it but have it sturdy enough to survive fancy dancin
  Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2003, 10:22 PM   #4
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
OK, well if it's as big as your hand, you'll need a BIG metal barrette, or two even. If it's as big as your palm, one will do :p. You'll probably need something stiff between your beadwork and the buckskin backing. Mild jug plastic is good, cut it just slightly smaller than your beadwork. Make the slits for your barrette in the buckskin and the plastic, too. Sew the buckskin to your beadwork.

The easiest way to attach your feather is to sew a 'pocket' right over the original buckskin backing. Make it out of buckskin, too, about 1/2 inch by an inch, but size it so your feather fits snugly. Sew clear through the buckskin and your beadwork, just make sure your stitches aren't going to show on the front. If your barrette feels 'floppy' take some stitches through all layers around the metal barrette itself. (I wouldn't use glue.)

You can wrap the base of your feathers with tape or something if you think they're gonna fall out. Or stitch along the inside of your pocket to make it smaller.
wyo_rose is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2003, 04:02 AM   #5
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
cool..I always just tie my feather into my hair behind the barrette
Your way sounds lot better
Old 02-20-2003, 12:32 PM   #6
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
I use a vatiation of the pocket method wyo rose described. My plumes have bamboo skewer extensions on then which are wrapped with sturdy tape. I make two slits in the buckskin lining of my barette, one on top of the clasp and the other below it. My plumes are then shoved into the top slit and positioned behind the clasp and then back out through the bottom slit. If you don't cut the slits too wide, this method will hold up through any windstorm!
Czechy is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2003, 08:10 PM   #7
Teen Dancer

sweet_apache_onion is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
for the two metal barrettes, how would you put that in?
Old 02-21-2003, 03:32 AM   #8
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
you have to put them on before you edge bead by cutting two small slits..and I am talking smaller than the width of the barrette and then working the b...................... OH HECK... Hot glue the sucker on the back and then stitch it to the back of the barrette through the holes for the clippy kind and then just around the ends for the other kind.

I think I might have to start a new tutorial here on attaching barrettes to beadwork...the way I normally do it...too hard to explain without pics even though it is'nt all that difficult to do...
Old 02-23-2003, 10:44 PM   #9
Jinglin fool...

n8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Please do!

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!
n8tivechick is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2003, 04:05 AM   #10
Honey Connoissuer

as soooooon as SouthernSt8 gives me back my MGI photosuite!
Old 03-01-2003, 12:42 PM   #11
hidatsachic24

use duct tape...
  Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links