Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree34Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives > Crafts beaded belt buckle beaded belt buckle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2003, 09:28 PM   #1
Beady Eyed & Beautiful

Items DollDolphin
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Suzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond repute
Suzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,776.62
Savings: 0.00
beaded belt buckle

I just bought a couple of belt buckles at Tipton, Ind., so I could try beading them. What's the best way of putting a beaded belt buckle together (after the beading is completed, of course!) ?
docat likes this.
Suzizila is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2003, 10:52 PM   #2
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
So you came up for Tipton and didn't bother to stop by my booth and say hello huh....I see how you are now! Did you stay until this morning? We packed up in the rain and our camper was sitting in 4" of standing water. Did you dance Saturday night? My wife, kids and I all danced Saturday night.

As for your new buckles...best way is to trace the blanks shape onto your beading material and applique (you can loom or lazy stitch also though, if you prefer) you a nice design that is slightly smaller than the blank shape. Then cover the back of the buckle with leather and the sew the beadwork and leather back together. Then finish the edge by looping beads over the edge kinda like lazy stitching.

Hope that helps!
docat likes this.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2003, 12:20 AM   #3
StrongWillowsSister

WolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
PB your information is always price less. :D
docat likes this.
WolfTears is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2003, 06:52 AM   #4
Beady Eyed & Beautiful

Items DollDolphin
Suzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond repute
Suzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond repute
Hey there PWB49! I was there for the later part of Saturday evening and for the craft contest on Sunday. (How did the 49 go on Saturday night? I would have liked to stay, but had to go bac to Kokomo.) Most of Saturday was spent writing down prices of beadwork, so I would know what a fair price to charge when I eventually sell my own work. Due to a situation at work last week, it was necessary to do that. There were a lot of people I missed out on visiting. :( (Perhaps we'll run into each other at another time.) I did dance a little bit, but just had my shawl.

Did you make it around the craft contest entries on Sunday? I had about 8 items entered & did pretty well this year. All during that time, I was getting strong messages from people that I should be selling my work, so that is what I will attempt to get started with. (I've got plenty of time until I find a new job.)

As for the belt buckles, I was looking at some and asking questions about the construction. Somebody told me that he did his beading on canvas, glued it to the buckle, and added the back.
I noticed that on some the area under the loop on the back wasn't stitched up. For some reason, I thought it was usually stitched up. Does this make any difference in the construction of the buckle?
docat likes this.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:26 PM   #5
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
If you're gonna bead on canvas, edge it with bias tape FIRST.

I don't recommend doing lazy stitch on a buckle - it gets to much wear and tear. OR loom - looks tacky. (OK attack me all you loomers :p)

And I think it should be all sewn up. If they left it open under the loop, they don't know what the heck they're doing.:(
docat likes this.
wyo_rose is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2003, 09:37 PM   #6
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Suzizila

My wife and I made it up there to the craft contest and display around 11, what items did you have entered in the contest? As for Saturday night ... we had the whole family dressed and dancing. My wife was in her new set that is posted in the 'F' word thread, the baby was in her Southern cloth set, my son was straight dancing and I wore my tradish clothes. I would post a pic but I got up to the area and got ready to take some pics and found out I had left the memory card for the camera in the computer so no pics for me...LOL...oh well.

As for your new buckles, I did forget to mention gluing the beadwork and backing to the buckle. Now if you want to stitch up the slit that accommodates the loop there is nothing wrong with that but since the backing is usually glued down you don't have to. I checked all my many beaded belt buckles and not a single one is sewn, and wear these things constantly. By the way, I do not own a single buckle I have made myself, I give those all away so the buckles I mentioned were all purchased or given to me. Also remember the slit for the loop can be cut to sit under the loop or out from each side of the loop to the edges. The latter of these 2 ways is often a shorter distance and does not get the wear from the belt like a slit under the loop does.

Hope that helps
docat likes this.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2003, 08:11 AM   #7
Beady Eyed & Beautiful

Items DollDolphin
wyo_rose......Thanks for your help. I checked in a Sadie Starr book (part of a two volume set) to see if belt buckles were listed. The beadwork for the buckle in the book (directions for construction are in vol. one....which I don't have) was done on layers of pellon. I'm just wondering if this starched felt that people are marketing as "beading foundation" would be good to use. I've used this stuff in making my dance purse, hairties, and barrettes.

PB49.......These are the things I had entered in the craft contest.

a traditional doll with beaded hide dress
a set of hair ties with a tipi design on them
a belt bag with the same tipi design and flags on the flap of bag
a knife sheath with SEPT. 11 2001, a turquoise cross, and
waving flag on it
a pair of baby moccs with tipi designs on the toes
an adult pair of moccs (my "PADRE" moccs ....personalized for
Jesuit friend of mine)
a dance purse (eagle in an 8 point star)
and a rosette necklace (eagle with flags)

I was set up with in the last row of tables between the person with all of the rosettes and the person with the finger woven items.

Was your booth set up in the Traders' building? I completely missed one corner of that building because I was writing down prices. :( After I made my last purchase before leaving on Sunday(right as the gourd dance session was getting started), I just happened to glance over to that corner and saw where Jim and Maureen were set up. (I also found out that I had paid two dollars more than what they were selling their big cones of thread for. :( )

Hopefully, I will make it back to Tipton next year......with more things to enter in the craft contest of course, since I have a bunch of projects planned to work on between now and then. :)
docat likes this.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:40 AM   #8
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Pellon would probably be ok, but I would edge it with bias tape anyway. And handsew the bias on, so it lays flat. I've never seen starched felt, but check it by sewing a piece of thread thru it once, and pull the thread to see if it stretches. If it does, don't use it.

For the slit, cut from the sides of the loop out, and sew it back together while on the buckle from the backside so you can't see the stitches. PWBum49, maybe that's why your's don't looked sewn. ...maybe...

I discourage glueing either your beadwork, or backing to the buckle, having repaired many over the years. I fixed one that was glued and had to replace the backing cuz the glue made it yucky.

Good luck.
docat likes this.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:34 PM   #9
Beady Eyed & Beautiful

Items DollDolphin
Thanks wyo_rose. Just so I get this straight, once I make the slits from the sides in to where the loop is, do I slide that part of the backing through the loop & then sew up the sides? Stitching on the opposite side (the one facing the buckle) won't be a problem. I'll just put some clear fingernail polish on the stitches to reinforce them. That makes more sense than cutting a long slit to put the loop through.
docat likes this.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:05 PM   #10
Ready to dance

Wow, Suzizila, that's it exactly! I don't think you're gonna have any problems at all.
docat likes this.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:12 PM   #11
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Savings: 1.00
Alright Wyo, I let you slide long enough......WHAT YOU GOT AGAINST LOOM WORK??????:Mad :Yell :Yell

You knew it was coming, so I couldn't disappoint you. Just wouldn't be right!!!!!!
docat likes this.

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2003, 09:37 AM   #12
Ready to dance

Ah yes....I was awaiting this.:Chatter Somewhere I have some pics of a loomed buckle and you'll see what I mean.

Don't get me wrong. Loomwork has it's place - can't beat it for harnesses and the occasional belt or hatband.:p

But on a buckle???? Please don't!
docat likes this.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:14 AM   #13
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
Buckle.............

Quote:
Originally posted by wyo_rose
Ah yes....I was awaiting this.:Chatter Somewhere I have some pics of a loomed buckle and you'll see what I mean.

Don't get me wrong. Loomwork has it's place - can't beat it for harnesses and the occasional belt or hatband.:p

But on a buckle???? Please don't!
I agree free hand stitching agrees with me too, loom is passay and forget that I ever used that word. (Loom) I doo all my beading freehand now. Tossed the loom away ever since I started usind the old Hiawatha Belt Stitch known as the wampum or ladder stitch,,,, juck to the loom. On a loom if you get one bead wrong you have to take out the whole row. On the stitch I use you can change just the one bead!!!!! Think how they changed wampum belts in the past, one fight with a neighbour and the belt was changed,, all because of the first original Hiawatha Belt, and it is now being used as the First United Nations Belt by the 5 Nations Conferacy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
docat likes this.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2003, 11:01 AM   #14
Ready to dance

Yep, Tibiki Kinew, I think free hand just looks nicer. Looming is good for beginners.

But I have to admit I am going to loom my next big project - a women's breastplate with crow beads.:p

Can you elaborate on the Hiawatha belt stitch? Maybe that would be a better stitch for my breastplate.
docat likes this.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:04 AM   #15
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Hiawatha Stitch

Quote:
Yep, Tibiki Kinew, I think free hand just looks nicer. Looming is good for beginners.

But I have to admit I am going to loom my next big project - a women's breastplate with crow beads.:p

Can you elaborate on the Hiawatha belt stitch? Maybe that would be a better stitch for my breastplate.
docat likes this.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:14 AM   #16
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Hiawatha Stitch

Quote:

It is definitly a better stitch, even if you break a bead anywhere in the pattern it will not fall apart, Bear has a web site that actually calls it the ladder stitch. But you use one needle and a good thread, Guterman is the best for this kind of work. I pick it up at a sewing shop.
When doing this stitch you take your first complete row of beads and after you add on one bead at a time. Check Ladder stitch.
docat likes this.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:34 PM   #17
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
I think Ladder stitch is a bit more appropriate of a name ... wampum was never stitched in the matter you are talking about.. wampum belts were put together more like you would a choker from what I can remember. you know what though...I know just who to ask and I'll come back and tell ya what he says.....
Old 09-05-2003, 09:46 AM   #18
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Wyo, can't believe you're going to go insulting loomwork!!! For beginners!!! Yes a lot of people start on the loom, then never touch it again.

But does my work of Beadman's work look like beginners?

Ohhh boy, it's on now!!!!! :rtf: :duel12: :karate: :guns: :NoNo
docat likes this.

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2003, 12:46 PM   #19
Junior Dancer

tiBBy is just really nice
Credits: 0.00
Talking

Haha!!! Gaww thoes pics are FUNNY!....but anywayz put your boxing gloves down buddy!....Wyo_rose said LOOMWORK DOES NOT WORK ON A BUCKLE!....and this i have to agree with!

Alothough a lot of beginners do start by beading on a loom, there are some that do very nice loomwork so if that's what'cha do then KUDOS TO YOU!

I think its mere matter of personal preferance on what looks good to an individual...hmmm...just like barrettes...i see some that are loomed that look very nice....but i prefer mine to be flatstiched.......

ANYWHOOO...KEEP BEADIN Y'ALL!:p
docat likes this.

" someone who can sing the song in your heart, even when you have forgotten the words...;)"
tiBBy is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2003, 06:07 PM   #20
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
well I was half right. It's done on a loom but the warp threads are leather pieces that the weft goes through like a leather choker spacer. Not that it really matters or anything, but you learned something new whether you like it or not LOL