Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives > Crafts Beaded Belts Beaded Belts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2002, 04:03 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhiteRoachMaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Beaded Belts

I'm Making a new belt for my son. I have a beaded strip 3"x28".
How do you attach this to a leather belt that looks good and wont come off.
WhiteRoachMaker is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2002, 07:12 AM   #2
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
Hi!

I used to sew it on to the leather strip with sinew.
I guess that you made this belt on a loom.
The way I used to make it, is to sew the beaded strip on the side to the leather.

Start on the edge in the leather, lead the needle between the first and second loom thread and punch through the leather. Now come back up and repeat the stitch. by doing so you make loops around the loom threads which hold the piece in place.
The same you do on the other side.

On the top and the bottom I used to knot the loom threads, that the beads don't slide off.
Sewing it on to the leather is the same thing.

It's simply the same thing you do when you sew 2 pieces of leather together.

Greetings

:D
Selina is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2002, 11:52 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

nabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond reputenabeader has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 714.00
If the belt is going to be mounted like a dance belt the easiest thing to do is take the belt to a leather shop and have them run the leather through their machine and punch the holes where you want the belt to be sewn. Once the holes are in the leather is simple to sew the belt to the leather.
nabeader
nabeader is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2002, 11:00 AM   #4
Unapologetic American

T Dave is on a distinguished road
Just a thought.

I beaded my belts on to a double thickness of cotton canvas, with some iron on interfacing on the back and then backed it with some leftover material. It's held up quite well and much easier than sewing through leather.

D
Old 04-16-2002, 11:08 AM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

BeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond repute
If you are mounting your beadwork on leather or any other stiff material, you need to stitch it onto the leather while the leather is curved (as if the person was wearing the belt) -- this way the beaded strip won't bind or break when the belt is worn.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:45 PM   #6
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
yup!
but when you have punched the holes it is an easy thing sewing the beaded strip onto the stiff leather.
I took buckskin for the belt from my buckskin dress, since the beadwork has enough strength.
:D
Selina is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links