Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives > Crafts Beading on shelf lining vinyl Beading on shelf lining vinyl

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2003, 09:18 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
dancingwater is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Beading on shelf lining vinyl

I'm starting on my leggings and hairties for my jingle outfit. I'm using the lap pads (crib liners) for the leggings, but someone here suggested using vinyl placemats for beadwork, and I went out looking for some, but the closest thing I found was at Kmart, its by Martha Stewart, called Heavy Duty Solid Shelf Liner. Comes in a roll, (5 feet by 12 inches) lots of different colors, but I found one thats a smokey clear (Great for tracing your pattern!!) I'm starting to do my hairties on it, and I love it! But I'm wondering if anyone else has used something like this, and how it holds up? Seems pretty sturdy and very easy to bead thru.
dancingwater is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2003, 07:08 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

j_j24 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have, I use the vinyl placemats for all my accesories-choker,barette,braidholders,medallion. It really works!
Old 01-08-2003, 07:26 PM   #3
Riverwoman

Are those the kind of placemats that you put on a dining table How do they hold up, if that is the right thing that I mean
  Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2003, 11:48 AM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

The vinyl shelf lining stuff I used was a little thinner than the placemats. Arent most place mats actually 2 layers of vinyl w/ cloth between? Nywhos, I have photos of the beadwork I finished on it, worked nicely. I backed it with a layer of crib liner and then leather, then did edgework all around it so you couldnt see any of the layers. Seems pretty sturdy. I was afraid that it would 'tear' from all the holes, but I didnt have any problems with it tearing, stretching, or shifting on me. All major problems I've had before w/ leather or cloth.

I'll post the pics asap.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:50 PM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

j_j24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes they are the ones you put on the table-lol! They work pretty good too.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:08 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

Heres the start of the small section of my hairtie on the vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails
beadstart.jpg  
Old 01-09-2003, 01:11 PM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

And the finished beadwork (almost)....now I just have to finish assembling everything :-)
Attached Thumbnails
hairtie.jpg  
Old 01-09-2003, 09:24 PM   #8
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
LOVE that design and colors!!! be sure to post a pic of the finished deal ok?
Old 01-09-2003, 10:00 PM   #9
Riverwoman

Will have to head to Wal-Mart and get some of those myself:) Any particular sizes that are used? Am I getting this right, the ones you put on the table, are they thick,thin etc?? By the way awesome work:Chatter
  Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2003, 11:49 PM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

alaskashadowwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Beautiful work Dancing Water!!!!
alaskashadowwolf is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2003, 05:19 AM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

Thanks everyone :-) Its my first attempt at applique, and I'm really self critical....But I'm slowly improving. I'm glad the design worked out well....that was the hardest part!! I love those cobolt blue whitehearts, the color is just awesome :-)

Tahemet, as far as the thickness of the placemats j_j24 is using, I dont know...but that vinyl stuff is really pretty thin, very flexable, but...I dont know how to explain it.... Its not as thin as those cheapy plastic placemats, but not much thicker, almost feels like rubber. I think those plastic ones would tear easy ( I remember peeling the plastic layers off the cloth when I was little LOL) So watch out for those.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone :-)
Old 01-10-2003, 09:23 AM   #12
Riverwoman

I think I know what to go and look for now;) Awesome work!HOla for your first project, that kicks ***!:D
  Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2003, 03:03 PM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

marilyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking beading

hi thanx for the tip on vinyl also currently i use the card bord from ceareal boxes for my hair ties and barrets . how i do it is draw the desighn on the card bord,also there is a layer of felt underneight it so that its not just card bord holding it together
marilyn is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2003, 07:16 PM   #14
Breath Inspector

eagleclan22 is just really nice
I do the same thing too, use cardboard from cereal boxes or chip boxes.. but I was thinking of trying to use the heavy duty heat-n-bond... because I was thinking that the light heat n bond makes my applique work pretty stiff so maybe the ultra heat n bond will make it even stiffer without me having to use any actual glue.. The other reason why I thought it would be good to try is because, to make my beadwork flatter I used glue and fabric and it made my beadwork even flatter..... so Im gonna try that BUT Im going to leave enough of an edge with the heatnbond beacause you cant sew that ultra heatnbond stuff, so Ill leave a bit of an edge so I can do my edging work on my stuff.... did that make any sense??

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:
eagleclan22 is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2003, 01:37 PM   #15
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
I'll be curious to know how the plastic liner or vinyl holds up over time. I work in the museum field and often see the results of how different materials age over the years. Plastics, depending upon the type, can be either fairly permanent or terribly unstable. For example, PVC (polyvinyl chloride) has stabilisers in it which make it fairly permanent in optimal conditions but when it is exposed to heat or light creates hydrochloric acid as it degrades. Artifacts made of cardboard are notoriously unstable. Eventually, cardboard discolors, becomes brittle and breaks apart, turning to dust. Long-term durability is a concern of mine especially if I put a lot of money and effort into my beadwork.

Well, I don't want to make this post into a chemistry lesson. Anyway, my hat's off to you brave souls willing to experiment with the "new" materials (crib liner, vinyl placemats, fun foam, etc).
Czechy is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2003, 10:30 PM   #16
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Wow, czechy, that's interesting about the plastic and cardboard breaking down. I wonder how rubberized crib sheet looks after many years.

Makes me want to use nothing but buckskin to bead on.
wyo_rose is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2003, 05:07 PM   #17
Pow Wow Committee

tigger has a reputation beyond repute
tigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
Question

how do you do the beadwolrk on this type of material??? i'm confused
tigger is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2003, 03:39 AM   #18
Tiny Tot Dancer

As far as how a crib sheet looks after time, I still have one from when I was a baby, that was used with my younger 2 sisters, and my son. Countless numbers of washes in the washing machine as well. I'm 26. The crib sheet is faded, and not quite as thick as the new ones are (but i dont know if its always looked like that or not.....has as far as I remember it) But other than that, its still not fraying or anything. I'll let ya know in another 26 years how its still holding up LOL

But seriously, I do understand totally about worrying how long the material is going to hold up. If I ever get to the point that my beadwork is really really good, and I would be making family heirlooms of sorts, I would definately use some sort of leather. But for now, till I improve the quality of my work, I'll practice on lesser quality material and save a few bucks (and fingers!)

Renea
Old 01-20-2003, 08:21 AM   #19
Tiny Tot Dancer

chemika is on a distinguished road
Credits: 60.00
vinyl placemats

I have had really good luck with the heavy weight placemats. I made a pair of leggings two years ago, and they still look good as new. They stand up to summer weather and even got damp on rainy days. I want to try the shelf liner next. I make beadwork on it also and back it with any fabric. I do the edge right on it.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:43 PM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

Toi Ama is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a question that might be silly, but I hope not. When doing this bead applique work, do you use sharps or glovers needles? I use glovers because I like to bead on the leather and I think they cut through just about any material used real well, but was wondering what others use.
Toi Ama is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links