Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Caroline
  • 1 Post By powwowbum49
  • 1 Post By OLChemist
  • 1 Post By Caroline
  • 1 Post By WolfTears
  • 1 Post By Caroline
  • 1 Post By WolfTears

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives > Crafts fully beaded top fully beaded top

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2003, 11:41 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Caroline is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 160.00
Savings: 0.00
fully beaded top

I am starting work on a fully beaded top for my friend's northern traditional outfit. Has anyone here ever done one of these? I am using canvas as a base to bead on. I pre -shrunk the canvas, cut out the shape and drew the major parts of the design on it with a pencil. I also zig zagged the edges with my sewing machine so it won't fray too much. I am thinking bias tape around the edges would be good. Does anyone know of bias tape is pre shrunk? I am worrying that if I put it on and the top gets wet, it could ruin the top.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated :)
docat likes this.
Caroline is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2003, 01:14 AM   #2
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Caroline

Unless your friend is planning on throwing the dress in a washer and dryer you shouldn't have to worry about preshrinking the backing and stuff. I have never know of canvas shrinking from hand washing and line drying, and I doubt she is going to want to get the hide bottom wet anyway (if it will be permanently attached).
docat likes this.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2003, 07:26 AM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 45,760.34
If you are planning to use a dark or bright color, shrinkage is the least of your problems. I can tell you from painful experience the excess dye in the unwashed tape (some brands are worse about this than others) can be extracted from the tape by the chemicals in the hide or just plain rub off on brain tan.

I'd wash the tape just to remove excess dye and sizing (some people are quite allergic to the sizing compounds). To keep the tape from tangling around the aggitator and/or coming unfolded in the wash: Make a fat plastic I-shaped bobbin from a margarine tub lid. Wrap the tape on to the bobbin and safety pin the ends together. If you have one of those bags for washing delicates (or a clean plastic mesh bag like they use for onions) throw it in. Then wash away. The bobbin will help keep the tape from unraveling and unfolding.

Hope that helps.
docat likes this.
OLChemist is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2003, 09:45 AM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

:Chatter I doubt that she will ever put this in a washer and dryer.

The bobbin idea is a great tip, thank-you! red dye will most likely run a bit and probably rub off on the buckskin. I hadn't even thought of that.
docat likes this.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:54 PM   #5
StrongWillowsSister

WolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
vinegar an epson salts help lock in red dye , trust me I know . I use allot of red I love the color an learned the hard way rain an red dont mix. You just use cold water your reg soad a cup of vinegar an 1/4 of salt .
docat likes this.
WolfTears is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2003, 12:15 AM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

Thank-you for the tips! I decided to use an off white bias tape instead of the red and bead over it. I am doing the main parts of the design in applique stitch, then I will fill in the background with lane/lazy stitch.
I think I am just being a bit panicky about taking on a project this big.
docat likes this.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:28 AM   #7
StrongWillowsSister

WolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
LOL talk about panic I took on doing my own yoke fully beaded for my first brave project ... NOW I am thinking I lost a few bolts when my head hit the ground a few years back lmao ... Good Luck just enjoy the task an when it gets to much put it down an take a walk . It works for me . Plus Black Bear has been allot of help .
docat likes this.
WolfTears is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links