Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives > Crafts Keeping Applique Lines Str8t Keeping Applique Lines Str8t

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2002, 02:31 PM   #1
Riverwoman

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Question Keeping Applique Lines Str8t

How in gods name, can I keep my lines striaght, when I am using the two needle method of applique for beads? I am ready to pull out my hair!:Cry

I have tried to follow the lines I have set out, but it seems to go crooked on me.. aiyeeee:Mad
  Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2002, 03:37 AM   #2
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
I am not sure what it looks like and I don't do two needle style.. but it does sound like you might be pulling your second thread too tight... anyway you can scan it front and back and post it so others and myself can take a look and see? Might be easier to help you that way.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:22 PM   #3
Riverwoman

I am not able to show it, as I took the beads off, and threw the damned thing in the garbage, the canvas that is:Mad

Oh well, I will have to learn somehow... right?:P Is there any other way to do applique work without two needles? Maybe the one needle would be easier for me, but I have no idea on how to start

Thanks BlkBear!:D
  Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2002, 02:59 PM   #4
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
only a whole thread I started about it below this one LOL!! I am using only one needle. Have you ever done embroidery? The one needle way is like doing embroidery...in fact another name for it IS bead embroidery... check out the thread in this section called introduction to Applique... it is'nt about sewing LOL!
Old 12-10-2002, 03:12 PM   #5
Riverwoman

Thanks BlackBear, I will go and check it out, big DUH! on my part :p
  Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2002, 06:05 PM   #6
Junior Dancer

lsijohn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I do 2 needle beading.

I run into that problem occasionally, too. Most of the time my slanted background lines come from being in a hurry and not paying attention to where I lay the next row before I start tacking it down with the second needle.

I found using a ruler and penciling-in straight lines in the background helps. My lines are maybe ever 1/4 inch, to give me an idea of where I am suppose to be.

2 needle beading takes time to learn, and use.

Blackbear has a good thread that has pictures on how to do 1 needle beading. It's good.

Good luck.
lsijohn is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2002, 06:24 PM   #7
Riverwoman

Thanks all! I am still debating on weather or not to return all of the beads I had got... Hmmmmm!
  Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2002, 06:27 PM   #8
Junior Dancer

lsijohn is on a distinguished road
I say stick with it..............

The finished project will be worth the hard work you're puttin' in!! ;)
lsijohn is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2002, 12:26 PM   #9
Riverwoman

Just thought that I would say that I still have the beads, and I am waiting on the 30ss Rhinestones. Dang, still need a thimble, so that may be one of my problems

Thanks for the faith in me, just have to get some of that myself;)
  Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2002, 08:23 PM   #10
Jinglin fool...

n8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond repute
your thumb index and middle fingers will get used to the poking!

~Kelli

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!
n8tivechick is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2002, 12:19 PM   #11
Riverwoman

Ouch, you know what the worst part of it is? when you stick either a glovers needle, or beading needle right into your fingers:Cry Belive me I have done both

I sure do hope it all goes well, like they say practice makes perfect right?:p

All I need now is a thimble..aiyeee!
  Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2002, 07:00 PM   #12
Junior Dancer

dmoccasin is a jewel in the rough
Savings: 432.95
Angry Keeping Applique Lines Str8t

I can definitely relate to the time and frustration it takes to bead a straight line. My personal preference is to start small on a project and work up to a larger project.

I use one needle and buy good quality backing material. I bead on that baby blanket material and that stiff backing material. I got the stiff backing material from shipwreckbeads. I usually glue the baby blanket material (fuzzy side down) on the stiff material with a thin layer of crafters white glue. I then lightly draw my design on the backing. Not too dark as the heavy lines will show through the final product.

I have had good success with this technique and the beaded rows/lines will stay straight. On the first beaded line I line it up with a ruler and add a small line of crazy glue to it and hold it til it sets up. I don't overly tighten the beads either. Each person has there own techniques. If you use this material the needle slides through like butter. Happy Beading!!

d
dmoccasin is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2002, 12:22 PM   #13
Riverwoman

Thanks for the hint, I will try and use that information about the crazy glue, did you mean that you used it to tack down the thread? and which one at that?
  Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2002, 06:09 PM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

Beardancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 458.04
Here's a craft wound for ya-flattening porky quills with your teeth and sticking one in your tongue!!!:Cry Explain that to the doc (I did)
Beardancer is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2002, 07:43 PM   #15
Junior Dancer

dmoccasin is a jewel in the rough
Savings: 432.95
flattening porcupine quills

Beardancer

A good friend of mine was working with her quills and accidently swallowed one. She ran into the living room and told her husband. He lifted his eyebrow and says what do you expect me to do?? He also told her most likely the acids in her stomache would render the quill into mush. Fortunately, she survived to live another day. That is all.

d
dmoccasin is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2002, 08:17 PM   #16
Jinglin fool...

n8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond repute
well i usually never use porkies..... i can never get the hang of quill work!

~Kelli

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!
n8tivechick is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2002, 04:18 PM   #17
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
Quote:
Originally posted by Egyptian Empress
Ouch, you know what the worst part of it is? when you stick either a glovers needle, or beading needle right into your fingers:Cry Belive me I have done both

I sure do hope it all goes well, like they say practice makes perfect right?:p

All I need now is a thimble..aiyeee!
But be careful with the steel ones!
I used them and the effect was that the needle slipped off and I had it in my hand between my fingers.
Boy, that one hurt like crazy!!!
Now I use a thimble made of buckskin.
I take a small piece and bind it around my finger.
This one protects you and is even more flexible.
:D
Good luck

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!
Selina is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2002, 04:21 PM   #18
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
Oh, what I forgot to post!
As for your problem with the bouncing lines, when I use this kind of stitch, I do the one needle technique.
this way the line is more flat.
Maybe you also should take less beads on the thred when doing curves.

Just my 2 cents....
:)

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!
Selina is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2002, 06:34 PM   #19
Riverwoman

Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2002, 08:00 AM   #20
Tiny Tot Dancer

chemika is on a distinguished road
Credits: 60.00
Lightbulb beadwork backing

It sounds like more of a backing problem. Canvas tends to let your stitches become uneven. I use vinyl placemants for backing. Get the heavy , thick ones. I have made fully beaded leggings on it, and it lays straight.