Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives > Crafts Where to find... Where to find...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2001, 05:53 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
jmm has a brilliant futurejmm has a brilliant futurejmm has a brilliant futurejmm has a brilliant futurejmm has a brilliant futurejmm has a brilliant futurejmm has a brilliant futurejmm has a brilliant futurejmm has a brilliant futurejmm has a brilliant futurejmm has a brilliant future
Credits: 8,626.21
Savings: 0.00
Lightbulb

If you want to make a traditional bustle with hand painted eagle feathers I would just get a copy of Scott Evans tradtional dancer book. The directions for making a bustle are in there. I would order hand painted eagle feathers from Noc Bay, Crazy Crow, or there maybe someone else out there that sells good hand painted eagles. If you don't want the hassle of trying to acquire all of the materials Crazy Crow sells a super deluxe traditional bustle kit that comes with all of the material necessary and you select if you want mature semi mature feathers.

Hand painted eagle feathers look real nice for a couple of dances but don't stand up very long due to the paint that is on the feather.

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: jmm ]
jmm is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2001, 06:51 PM   #2
Tuscaroran

There are a lot of natural alternatives. Goose and Swan feathers come close to the actual size and shape of eagle feathers, but lack the coloration. Also look for "Natural Black" Turkey feathers. These come close to the actual coloring and patterns of natural eagle feathers.

If you want to have a good looking bustle, invest in these feathers, make sure you have enough large feathers to make your bustle. Be prepared to order more than what you need, in order to throw away the smaller feathers and damaged feathers...
  Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2001, 12:14 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Singingelk is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Post Where to find...

Hi Guys!

I'm looking to start building a mens traditional outfit, but everywhere I look, no one sells bustle kits with "nice" looking imitation eagle feathers. I have found pairs, and fan kits with 5 or 7 feathers, but nothing close to assembling new bustles. Can anyone help me out?

Elk
Old 09-26-2001, 08:23 AM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

Singingelk is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks guys! Now.....Where do I find natural black turkey feathers? I looked at Noc Bay, Wakeda, Moscow hide and fur, and a few other places, but couldn't find them. Any thoughts?
Old 09-26-2001, 11:00 AM   #5
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
www.feathersource
These guys have the natural Spanish Black turkey feathers plus some interesting hybrids. I've never ordered form them so I can't comment on the quality of service. Good luck!
Czechy is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2001, 03:34 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

kechi makwa is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

I received a full set of the spanish turkey feathers from "Lone Eagle Crafts" Website-www.feathersource.com. They look absolutely great. The colors and size are perfect. It took some time though. Well worth the wait.
kechi makwa is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2001, 05:12 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

RandyE is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Have you ever heard of Tatanka Traditions???

They advetise in Wispering Winds, they are in Texas. I bought a traditional bustle out of the Spanish blacks, and some of the feathers look very good for color. And I've had alot of people comment on the feathers not knowing they were turkey.
The bustle with shipping was $250. Without rosette, I used a 4" quilled rosette.
RandyE is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2001, 05:14 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

RandyE is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Crazy Crow has a good hand painted bustle set. But hand painted doesn't hold over time. The feathers tear and won't mend back.
RandyE is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links