Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Am I a wannabe? Am I a wannabe?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
PowWow Visitor

Items Elephant
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
storyteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond repute
storyteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,738.54
Savings: 0.00
Question Am I a wannabe?

I hear lots of anger about wannabes and I understand. I am Irish and every St. Pat's day people claim to be Irish and say that is why they're getting drunk.

But I also have one Native American grandmother, which gives me her long line of grandmothers and grandfathers.

I want to honor my grandmother. I try to do that by living in balance on this earth. I do not dress silly at pow wows and I am always respectful (as far as I know!).

My grandmother's heritage was always hidden publicly (white man's shame) but the story was passed down by the women in my family. I don't want my grandmother to be hidden in shadow any longer, so i tell people I have an Indian great great grandmother who I am proud of.

Does that make me a wannabe?
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Who feels like touching this one with a ten foot pole?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
PowWow Visitor

Items Elephant
storyteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond repute
storyteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond reputestoryteller has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear, it sounds like your answer is yes, I'm a wannabe.I apologize if I offended you or anyone else.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 829.86
i want to be queen of england
middle of the sky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,700.20
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle of the sky View Post
i want to be queen of england
MOTS, you wannabe!!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
The answer is: "if you need to ask here, you should sincerely consider it to have some truth."
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
PowWow Visitor

Items Elephant
Kinda hurts that Indians would tell me to deny an Indian grandmother. I didn't call myself an Indian--I called myself Irish.

If I forget about her and don't claim her, won't I be repeating the ugly past? Does she not deserve to be remembered for who she was?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
You should never deny where you came from, but instead learn and appreciate it better. You state you are Irish. When I introduce myself, I state I'am Klamath from Southern Oregon, because that is who I'am and that is where I'am from.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #9
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Kinda hurts that Indians would tell me to deny an Indian grandmother. I didn't call myself an Indian--I called myself Irish.

If I forget about her and don't claim her, won't I be repeating the ugly past? Does she not deserve to be remembered for who she was?
No one told you to deny your Indian grandmother. It's just that every once in a while someone like yourself will come on here and ask if they are labeled "wannabe." Well, my answer is this: if you are not native, and want to learn as much as possible about being a native, then, yes, you are a wannabe.

That's how I see it, but never once did anyone say that you should deny your own Indian grandmother.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
Banned

othellobloke is infamous around these parts
Credits: 0.00
Dude...

to blazes with what other people think. do your thing. you're Irish with some native blood... take pride in that. don't start dancing around with deerskin on, wearing turquoise jewellery or putting faux feathers in your hair..

but don't look for validation from anyone... least of all people on a message board who don't know you. assuming you're not lying to us or yourself... you are what you are.

forget other people's opinions
othellobloke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_miss View Post
No one told you to deny your Indian grandmother. It's just that every once in a while someone like yourself will come on here and ask if they are labeled "wannabe." Well, my answer is this: if you are not native, and want to learn as much as possible about being a native, then, yes, you are a wannabe.

That's how I see it, but never once did anyone say that you should deny your own Indian grandmother.
Are you sure about that? So anyone who wants to learn what it's like to be native is a wannabe?

I thought anyone who wants-to-be native was a wannabe.

You are stereotyping a HUGE portion of society who find native society, culture, and history interesting, that are perfectly secure within their own race and culture. forgive me if I misunderstood what you were saying.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #12
dancinPoWWoWbabe

dancinpowwowbabe has a spectacular aura about
Location: a lil village in the boonies called Nett Lake MN.....ya its a lil rez that most never heard of..kinda on the north-side of minn...yup
i agree
Old 10-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #13
wakalapi wacinkte

Tiki has a reputation beyond repute
Tiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond repute
I hate the word wannabe. It is very negative. To me a wannabe is a person who although of no native descent, reads a few books and dresses up to a stereotyope and tries to tell ndns how to be ndn.
If you say someones ancestor married a white person and raised their children white, the descendents can't be "real" ndns, you would have to also say that if an ancestor married outside of their tribe into another tribe for excample a cheyenne marries a sioux, thier descendents can't possibly be cheyenne because their ancestors decided to raise their children sioux.
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #14
were home

Items GuitarElephantPresentPresent
Credits: 30,091.23
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
dare i post here lol

i understand what full bloods say about mix bloods are half breeds or less if not raised in the culture
and a half breed just dont count becouse thay will not have been raised to be respicturs of the earth or the ppl or the mening behind the dance or songs but hears a big but
there is a blood mermory that follows and come in strong so call it what you will and if some ppl look funny on the bord or at powwow lol maybe its gramp or grand ma comming back in to say hello.
thats the way i see it and im glad for this bord becouse i have learnd how to be better at powwow and understand whats the blood i carry so thank you each and everone that speaks here and belive me when i say thank you for each drop of blood you carry of the ppl who liveed here befor and chose you
and any way who amoung you would not love an grand child or a great grand child and why would you belive the grand mother or grand father would you to help thier grand child to do well, how far dose one look to see that the ppl do well,
also i understand there are meny full blood who dont have time to mess with the outcast, ones being life is full of trouble with out a problem child
but in all gootnenss i think there is room for those who have the ppl blood still.ok im done

Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 10-16-2007 at 07:50 PM..
2lineCarrandMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #15
Tiny Tot Dancer

Cree_thang is just really nice
hey, don't Indians come from India? Last time I heard they did....
Cree_thang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2007, 10:09 PM   #16
Junior Dancer

Dawn_B is a splendid one to beholdDawn_B is a splendid one to beholdDawn_B is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cree_thang View Post
hey, don't Indians come from India? Last time I heard they did....
Oh no you didn't
Dawn_B is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #17
Happy Beading Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by othellobloke View Post
I thought anyone who wants-to-be native was a wannabe.
Umm..yeah, didn't you just read what I said???

I won't go in a long discussion with you. I gave my 2 pennies, so take it or leave it.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 AM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_miss View Post
Umm..yeah, didn't you just read what I said???

I won't go in a long discussion with you. I gave my 2 pennies, so take it or leave it.
I won't do either. You're the one that said:

if you are not native, and want to learn as much as possible about being a native, then, yes, you are a wannabe.

I just suspected you had worded your opinion incorrectly and was trying to help you with it.

Last edited by othellobloke; 10-17-2007 at 12:23 AM..
Old 10-17-2007, 09:11 AM   #19
were home

Items GuitarElephantPresentPresent
Credits: 30,091.23
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
hey i got a red bead from no name for not speaking gooder english, humm suprize lol it was not for my spelling lol
any way now im getting a bead on how i speak not the content of intent of words. lol
red bead giver becouse you did not even leave your name.
the content of your bead giving will be taking lightly.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #20
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Why bother looking for beads?
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links