Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Animated AVs and Siggy thread Animated AVs and Siggy thread

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2005, 07:06 PM   #1
Bear-y overprotective

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Dakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant future
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
The Offical Powwows.com Animation Tutorial

Here goes-
Who wants to learn how to make animated avatars and siggys? This would be a chance to learn this skill and for those graphic guys and gals to strut their stuff. Maybe we could make some for others or help people out with the ones they are working on.

Now only if Paul G will let us have bigger avatars...........

If you want someone to create an AV or siggy for you, post a polite request. Please make sure you credit the animator.

Animating your own

If you'd like to have a go at animating youself here's the link for MS Gif Animator which is a nice bit of freeware. http://www.jhepple.com/gif_animator.htm
Or you can use a free trail of Ulead gif animator:
http://www.ulead.com/ga/runme.htm

Remember if you are interested in animating post here. We could use the animators!

Here are a few tutorials put together so other's can learn how to animate avatars;

1.The Basics with MS Gif animator
To use it open any image in paint (or any image editing program -photoshop, ulead, ultimate paint, corel draw, ...etc), save it as a GIF (you may loose color, pasting the original image over a saved gif sometimes helps) Then edit the image, for movement. Save each frame in a temp folder (click file, and save as. NUMBER EACH FRAME!)when satisfied with your animating right click the last image and "open with" GIF animator (you will have to browse for the GIF animator the first time) Add each frame from last to first, use the '+' button to add frames.

-The first tab is trial and error with the dither method (undefined usually works best)
-Second tab is for looping or repeat amount (click repeat and forever)
-Third tab is for frame duration. (10-20/100s usually works best for fluid movement, more for pauses, less for flashes)

you can open any GIF to see the frames and the 'inner workings' to get ideas on how to perfect your skills- Right click on an existing GIF and click 'open with' then choose GIF animator.- sometimes you may get odd frames (mostly blank or partial frames) these are from compression, or GIF images made with other programs.

2.Blinking tutorial
As animations go making them blink is one of the simplest to do and a good one to start off with. For this example I'm using an avatar from the film "The Grudge".

Step 1
First I took the normal image and saved it to my computer as '01'...[See Fig.1]

Fig.1

Step 2
Next you have to find a colour suitable for an eyelid, usually this is a few shades darker than the charaters skin colour but in this case its all black, then we colour in half the eye, [See Fig.2] and save the image as '02'.

Fig.2

Step 3
Same as Step 2, just fill in the whole eye [See Fig.3]

Fig.3

Step 4
Now you just stick them all in your animator, remember that you'll need 4 frames, Fig.2 is needed twice, once for the eyelid going down, then once for it going up again. Make the timing as quick as possible for the blinking, with a nice long time for the first frame with the eye open, at least a few seconds.

In my example I've made it blink once, then a pause, then twice, but any combination of blinks is avaliable to you depending on how large a file you want your animation to be.

When your done it should look like this...

3.Lightning tutorial
OK, I thought I'd put together a little lightning tutorial as hopefully the first of a few so we can all animate super wonderfull things together, here goes using this avatar as an example...

STEP 1:

First we take the basic frame of this avatar [See Fig.1] and save it to our hard drive, call it something like '01' then you'll know later on that it's the first frame.

Fig.1

STEP 2:

Next, we need to add the lightning, now remember lightning is really fast, so we only need one frame, it should be a 'flash' not a strike.

So, we take our image titled '01' and "Save As" --> '02', then draw in our lightning. This bit is down to personal taste but I think zig-zags look best [See Fig.2], keep it simple no need for lightning all over the place.

Fig.2

STEP 3:

Lightning is of course, quite bright, so along with the initial strike we want to give the effect that it has illuminated the sky. To do this we take our image '01' again and save it as, you guessed it --> '03'. Then we simply fill the background/sky in with white [See Fig.3].

Fig.3

STEP 4:

We cant just have one strike of lightning, that would be boring, so take good old image '01' and add a completely different lightning strike and save it as '04' [See Fig.4].

Fig.4

STEP 5:

OK, so now we've got all the frames we need, we just need to put them in order and stick them into our animator, remember we've only got 4 images but some will be duplicated. In this particular animation there are 12 frames, [See Fig.5] and this is their order:

Fig.5

After each strike, comes a flash, then the strike again, the order of them is really personal preference and you could have as many different strikes as you like but it's best to keep it simple.

STEP 6:

Final step once all the frames are in our animator is the timing, again keep it simple. For this animation frames 1 and 5 are two seconds long, every other frame is 0.1 seconds long.

After this is done it should look like this...[See Fig.6]

Fig.6

...and that's that, lightning!

4.Tweening with Ulead
5.Flame tutorial
6.Spiral tutorial
SEE POST #14 for the rest

Last edited by Dakota Wica'hpi Ina; 10-17-2005 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: I said I would
Dakota Wica'hpi Ina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
PowWows.com Addicts

~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
I wanna learn! I saw what you did with BB's picture, how much is a sticky? I will participate in this....

But I've been told it's the other way around!
~pathwalker~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
I love em! Love the blinkies too. Here's one that a woman made.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:04 PM   #4
-summer_june-*

**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute
**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,015.78
i love working with this kinda stuff...so much fun
Old 10-13-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
Cratertot

andre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond repute
andre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 918.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pathwalker~
I wanna learn! I saw what you did with BB's picture, how much is a sticky? I will participate in this....
I believe a sticky is 1,100,000 points, and I will front it.

P.S. Remind me when we get to that point and I will sticky where we need it....

P.P.S. I suggest we start a new thread with something catchy in the title, like TUTORIAL: HOW TO MAKE THOSE COOL SIGGYS AND AVYS

Last edited by andre; 10-13-2005 at 11:07 PM..
andre is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2005, 11:03 PM   #6
little bird

little bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond repute
little bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Yes!!!

I'd sooo like to know how to do that!! Thanks for offering to show us all how to!

Last edited by little bird; 10-13-2005 at 11:08 PM..
little bird is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2005, 01:59 AM   #7
Teen's Contemporary Trad.

sunbursthonor is just really nice
Location: Probably somewhere in the www.powwows.com game room *LOL* no seriously, in GA
Smile

can i learn too???
Old 10-14-2005, 06:31 AM   #8
**KB Supporter**

little wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond repute
little wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond reputelittle wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 36.82
Hey, I'm eager to learn...
Old 10-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #9
PowWows.com Addicts

~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre
I believe a sticky is 1,100,000 points, and I will front it.

P.S. Remind me when we get to that point and I will sticky where we need it....

P.P.S. I suggest we start a new thread with something catchy in the title, like TUTORIAL: HOW TO MAKE THOSE COOL SIGGYS AND AVYS
Andre either you aint right, too kewl or Im just readin you wrong, LMAO! anyways....
Ya i wanna learn too! But be gentle, im not that smart, LMAO!

Old 10-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #10
Cratertot

andre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond repute
andre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond reputeandre has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I've been pulling 16 hours a day between classes and work, and then I go home and do my homework, so I might forget what I'm doing or fall asleep or something.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! !!!!!!!!!!! Nevermind... I catch your drift.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:19 PM   #11
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
I hope you didn't front the points for a sticky.... if you noticed.....it already was stikyfied....
Old 10-14-2005, 08:35 PM   #12
Cratertot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato Winyan
I hope you didn't front the points for a sticky.... if you noticed.....it already was stikyfied....
No, I always wait till officially asked.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:06 PM   #13
Bear-y overprotective

Dakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant future
Ask and ye shall recieve.....
7 ppl posted with 10 replies. I will change the name to "The Official Powwows.com Animation Tutorial" and start the instructions tonight. Too bad more amimators didn't post...
Old 10-15-2005, 03:53 AM   #14
Bear-y overprotective

Tutorial Cont..

4. Tweening with Ulead
Ulead blends the two frames together by fading one out and the other in, however where the two meet this allows the white background to show through.

All you do is change the colour of the background. To do this create an all black image and insert it into the animation. On the right hand side of the screen Ulead lists all the different images you have in the order they are stacked (Object organiser), this means one frame can have two images in it, the images higher up the list will appear at the top.

When you select a frame along the bottom, the images on the right with a blue 'eye' visable next to them are the images you can see in that frame [See fig.01] . Insert your all black image then delete its frame, the image will still be visable on the right but wont actually appear in your animation.

Fig.01

Find the image on the right and drag it down to the bottom, then for each frame that is "Tweened" select the blue 'eye' and it will appear in the background, thereby blocking out the white that was there before. [See fig.02] Note that you'll need to delete the already tweened frames and tween it again for it to work, once you save your animation Ulead combines all the images together.

Fig.02

Hope this helps, hopefully I'll have time to do it myself later and you can then open it up with Ulead and see for yourself...

5.Flame tutorial
Flame animating tutorial as used in F's avatar

OK, first up, here's F:

Step one: Save the image as "01"

Step two: We need to animate the flame, it's a candle so a slight flicker is best. To acheive this effect simply cut out part of the flame and move it to the right, like this:

Fig.1

Now save as "02".

Step three: Repeat this process, except this time take image 01 and move the flame to the left, then repeat again and move the flame upwards.

Now you should have four frames, each with a slightly different flame, stick them in your animator, and they should look like this:

Fig.2

I had to do a bit of jiggling with the frames to get it to look right, so play around with the order till it looks natural. For this animation I used a timing of 0.2 seconds per frame.

Step four: Now we need to add the shadows. You can do this with pretty much any program you like just find the "Brightness" or "Contrast" option, I used Microsoft Picture Editor. Take each frame and add a little bit of brightness or take it away, leave one the same, then your frames will look a little bit like this:

Fig.3

Step five: Stick them all together, play around with the order, duplicate some frames if necessary and it might look something like this:

Fig.4

...and that's that!

6.Spiral tutorial
Step 1
Find a picture of a spiral, I used google and found this one...

Step 2
Next, I used Microsoft Picture Editor to rotate the spiral by 45 degrees, but any decent program will do it. As a circle is 360 degrees, I rotated the spiral by 45 degrees 8 times (360 divided by 45 = 8) to make 8 frames, they looked something like this:

Step 3
Once I had my eight frames I stuck them in Ulead Gif Animator and then changed the canvas size to 115 x 115 pixels...

Then it's a case of going through the frames and centering them so it doesn't wobble, you do this by simply dragging and dropping each frame and previewing it to check it out. Maybe there's an easy way of doing this but I didnt find it blink.gif

Step 4
Once you've centred each frame, it should look like this:

Step 5
Now it needs the cow:

Stick it in Ulead, then use the "Rubber" tool to erase the black round the outside:

Step 6
Make sure the Cow image can be seen in all frames by clicking the "Eye" symbol on the right for each frame. When that's done it should look like this:

....and there you have it
Old 10-16-2005, 10:39 PM   #15
PowWows.com Addicts

I am giving it a try, dont expect much because if it turns out like crap im trashin it, lol...

Old 10-17-2005, 12:04 AM   #16
PowWows.com Addicts

Thumbs up Haaha! I Did It!

Last edited by ~pathwalker~; 10-17-2005 at 09:54 AM..
Old 10-17-2005, 12:34 AM   #17
Teen's Contemporary Trad.

sunbursthonor is just really nice
Location: Probably somewhere in the www.powwows.com game room *LOL* no seriously, in GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pathwalker~

HEY! was that directed toward me? *LOL*
Old 10-17-2005, 12:42 AM   #18
PowWows.com Addicts

of course not lil bro, you know better, *L* but it does apply to some ppl dont it? LMAO!

Old 10-17-2005, 02:27 AM   #19
Bear-y overprotective

WOOOO HOOOO!!!!! She did it! Who's next? Congrats PW!!!
(hint: when you start doing pics Photoshop 6.0 and above is great. change the jpg into a gif to work with it.)
Old 10-19-2005, 07:42 PM   #20
little bird

little bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond repute
little bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, but it's too hard for me to figure it out right now. I'll come back to it later. I think I need someone to come over and show me this.