Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Kituhwa has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Archery

I used to do archery when I was a kid, I never took it that seriously, there used to be pretty big fields near my house where my friends and I would shoot bb guns, bows and arrows, throw boomerangs, have fights with wooden or plastic swords, etc. I always liked archery though, one of my instructors at college was pretty into it and he told me there was an archery range near his house, so I wondered if there were any around here.

I looked it up and found one very close to my house called "Tanglewood Archery" and I think I'm going to go check it out one day next week or next weekend, I'm going to a powwow this weekend at Tall Bull so I can't do it then, but I think I'd really like to take it up again, more seriously this time it seems like it would be fun.

I wondered if anybody else was into it. I remember when I went to the Cherokee Cultural Center in Oklahoma they had traditional bow and arrow makers, arrow head makers and so on, they were really good. The bow maker told me that when he and his cousins were kids they used to take the foam out of the inside of car doors, and duct tape it over the end of an arrow with no arrow head on it, they'd then proceed to shoot one another with these "less lethal" arrows.

But keep in mind these are six foot, hardwood, recurve bows with about 90 to 100 or more pounds of pressure. He said they used to leave huge welts on their bodies, they say they laugh at the paint ballers now with their little red welts from the paint ball, I can't even imagine getting hit with either one. Anyway, if anybody else is into archery and would like to share some information with me like, what do you prefer recurve or compound, 2-d or 3-d targets, what sort of bow etc. that would be cool.

Later,

Mat
Kituhwa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2005, 12:14 AM   #2
Junior Dancer

I think part of the reason why I'm so interested in archery is a lot of the movies that I watch ha ha, I love epic films especially set in the past.

Braveheart, Gladiator, Troy, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers, Hero, Kingdom of Heaven, and etc. I also love to read about archery and different styles of archery like Japanese and Mongol archery.

Mongolians had some pretty wicked bows and arrows I think I still have a National Geographic mag on that....

...man...I'm such a nerd ha ha
Old 07-13-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 88,727.27
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Archery can be very therapeutic because it can be a one-person sport. I have several bows, but I like recurves since they require less effort than compound bows. The two compounds I have are for hunting, but I use them mainly for precision target shooting. I use carbon shafts which are very light. This means that your target has been specially designed to stop super narrow arrows arriving at high speed. I prefer flat targets as opposed to 3-d images of animals and such.

Make sure you get the right bow with the right draw length before going all the way out for equipment. More or less, it can get quite expensive especially if you get into serious target competition.

Last edited by xTekno; 07-13-2005 at 12:46 AM..
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2005, 12:43 AM   #4
*~the REAL me~*

Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Well, being raised in Michigan...I always have owned Fred Bear bows..and I have a Kodiak hunter recurve...for deer...and I also shoot trashfish (carp/etc) with a Martin Diablo recurve...
I agree with TT and usually shoot at 2d targets, tho the sihouette shoots (3d targets along a trail, various ranges) have EXPLODED here..and are extremely popular. I also own a Matthews solo cam compound..for deer...(and a concession to advancing age and TOO much desk type work!)
For that one I use a release...and a highly adjustable prong type rest...the recurves I shoot w/ Bear weather rests...but the 'fish arrows' weigh a lot and tear up those, so I shoot those off the shelf w/ a brush type rest (getting obsolete and TOUGH to find!)
As TT said, it's best to get w/ a pro for neasurements of draw length, as well as what poundage you are comfortable with...for draw. The modern compounds are so good, and adjustable easily...that it's not much of a problem there..but recurves/longbows MUST be selected carefully to your stature...so measure twice, buy once!
I am a fair to middlin shot...but as with anything...practice makes perfect! Though i mostly am a hunter, more than a true archery enthusiast. Bow hunting can be VERY addictive, since it's far more challenging, and FAR fewer hunters (as opposed to guns) and even better, the vast majority of bowhunters seem (to me anyway) to be far more dedicated..and there are a HELL of a lot less idiots amongst them...
ps. I grew up that way too...and have been shot, shot at, have shot and have shot at, most all of my buddies/neighbors...when I was young,with slingshots, bows, bb guns, clubs, sticks, fists, feet, well you get the idea! but looking back at those times, I wouldn't want to have missed them!
Thanks for posting...brought back a lot of good memories!
Joe G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2005, 02:05 AM   #5
Junior Dancer

Archery

Thanks guys that was really helpful. I grew up that way too by the way, having sword fights with wooden swords, fashioning "parachutes" out of old sheets, or hammocks when we got tired. I also used to have black cat and bottle rocket fights around New Years and 4th of July, with my cousins, boy it sux when one of those blows up in your hand.

Back to the archery, I think it definitely sounds like something I'd like to do seriously. I don't know about the 3-Targets either, I have a video of a guy selling all these knives swords, even spears, and he's like chucking a spear at a rubber pig...sheesh, seems like he needs a new hobby, who the hell would spear hunt a pig in North America? Who hunts with spears here anyway? I guess if that's your weapon of choice ha ha.

I think I will go and check out that archery range near my house, if I do go ahead and start doing this I think I'll take it seriously this time and try to get really good at it. According to what you've both told me it sounds like it could be lots of fun.

I'd also like to learn all different styles of archery like, specific to certain cultures and stuff, like the Japanese archery I was talking about, that looks pretty challenging. I think I'd like to go back Oklahoma sometime too and see if I can have one of those bowmakers and arrow and arrow head makers show me how I can make one of my own, now that would be cool too.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:13 PM   #6
Teen Dancer

One Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant future
I still have my "Little Bear" recurve bow I got for my 10th B'day, a 25-lb pull. Still use it for squirrels and rabbits. I have a 48-lb pull recurve Golden Eagle for deer. I use both carbon and plain aluminum arrows, as well as white oak shafts. My oldest daughter can shoot pretty well, and my boys are not too bad either. It's illegal, but we used to load the metal shafts with lead sauter just behind the head to make them sink better.

Yeah we used to pad the arrows and hunt each other thru the woods. Used slingshots too. The most fun I had as a kid was stalking the National Guard guys(my grandad let them use our farm for manuvers) and dinging them with pebbles and jimson weed pods. Learned some very colorful language. The head guy thought it was funny that us kids could sneak up on the troops like that...good thing they weren't using live rounds tho.
One Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

That's pretty funny, shooting the national guard guys like that. I still have my first bow, its a small compound bow, I recently got another one from a friend, Its quite a bit bigger, another compound bow and obviously for hunting, I'm not sure what kind they are I'll have to check. I'd like a nice recurve bow as well. What about the way you shoot guys?

Do any of you draw from a quiver? Or no? Anybody ever tried shooting from horseback?

When I was in Oklahoma the bowyer told me that the old Cherokees when they shoot they sort of hold the bow at a 45 degree angle rather than holding it perpendicular. He also said when drawing the string, that they draw the string back to their heart and shoot from "their" heart to the animals heart.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:39 AM   #8
Junior Dancer

archery

Anybody here know anyone from their tribe who makes traditional bows, arrow heads, and arrows?

I have a book called "native american weapons" and it shows all the different styles of bows and arrow and arrow head types from different tribes in North America.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Champion Dancer

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 8,476.87
Eric Smith

Traditional arrow heads depends on the time you are interested in.
Arrow heads have been made from stone, bone, antler and last iron.

Stone arrow heads I regard as high tech of their time and making them is until today a highly skilled craft if done manually. Their is nothing primitive as many mainstream modern people like to believe. Same is true for birch pitch.

Stone arrow heads have been used for hunting at least for 12 000 years.

I am not really good at knapping flint for arrow heads.

You need the tool to get the arrow head shape. It is a pressing technique. The center top of the tool is antler.

photo IMGP0691.jpg

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links