Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Battle of honey springs , (continued) Battle of honey springs , (continued)

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2003, 11:33 AM   #1
gawk where's the gun Gawk

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
MAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Post Battle of honey springs ,

Pards;
okay this is kinda confusing .... I accidentally made 2 threads one with the beginning of the story andf this one . So I'm editing this to have the beggining of our story. As some of you might know I'm a civil war reenactor, and earlier this year my family got me a subscribtion to a magizine called 'Civil War Times " . it had an article in it about a called the battle of honey springs .many races of people fought in the battle including native americans,african americans, and english. so here goes.

Colonel Chilly McIntosh stood before his 2nd creek cavalry and looked solemnly into the weathered faces of Indian warriors who had become Confederate soldiers. " when you first saw light , it was said that of you a man child is born," McIntosh said " you must prove today whether or not this saying of you is true . the sun that hangs over your head has no death-no end of days. It will continue indefinately to rise and set. But with you it is different. Man must die sometime and since he must die he can find no nobler death that that whitch overtakes himwhile fighting for his home, his fires, and his country"
War has come to the indian territory (today is oklahoma) back in 1861. Now in the morning of July 17 1863, McIntosh and his horseman prepared for the climatic fight - the battle that would decide once and for all whether the Confederacy would controlall of the indian territorry. The fight would unfold along Elk creek, near a place called Honey Springs.
The battles location was no accedent . Confederates already occupied key military sites, including Boggy Depot , Fort Cobb, Fort Arbuckle, and Fort Wa****a.If they could capture Fort gibson along the Arkansas River , they would control all the indian territory. Honey Springs, 25 miles south of Fort Gibson , was to be they're staging ground. But their offensive would not go unapposed . with the arival of federal forces , the impending clash in Indain Territory was shaping up to be the most ethnically diverse battle of the war. Confederate slave holding Cherokees and Creeks (including McIntosh's men), texas militia and cavalry, and choctows and Chickasaws would sqaure-off against Federal colorado Volunteers , kansas cavalrymen , black infantrymen ,Wisconson farmers and indian home guards. Names such as Gunter, Tus-cahat-hargo, Williams, Moonlight, Lee, and Tustanugee would become part of the mississippi.

'i believe I can fly'
Rob Young

Last edited by MAROONDANCER; 12-02-2003 at 04:35 PM..
MAROONDANCER is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2003, 04:34 PM   #2
gawk where's the gun Gawk

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
MAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Arrow

At the head of the confederate force was Brigadier General Douglas Hancock cooper, a veteran of the Mexican war and a contemporary of President Jefferson Davis. Before the civil war , Cooper had been a u.s. agent to the Choctow and Chickasaw tribes and had earned the respect of American Indians. in the winter of 1861 , Cooper led his Indian and texan troops to victory in two relitively minor engagements in Idian territory at Caving Banks and Round Mountain. Now before attacking fort gibson , he waited for Brigadier General William L. Cambell's brigade of 3,000 men and additional artilleryto arrive from Fort Smith, Arkansas, 70 rugged miles from the East. Reports from Coopers strength may vary from 3,000 to more than 5,000 men.
Meanwhile, however, Major General James g blunt , Commander of federal forces at fort GibsonGot wind of Coopers Plan. Information leaks from confederate deserters and union spies had plagued since the wars on set ,and apparently , they had hurt him againat Honey springs.Members of the Keetowah society, a secret organization of full blooded Cherokees had deserted the Confederacy and apparently passed sensitive Information to the federals. that allowed the federals to rushsupplies and equiptmentfrom Fort Scott, kansas. Confederate forces led by the legendary general Stand Watie (I know you know who he is .... if not I'll tell you later )almost intercepted the shipment, but skirmishers at cabin creekon july 1 and 2, 1863, ultimately ended in failure.

'i believe I can fly'
Rob Young
MAROONDANCER is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links