Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree203Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Books! Books!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #241
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,737.58
Savings: 0.00
Sigh, than I wish even more to listen to you.

s,p,d, & f orbitals can be visualized and explained without math. Quantization, Symmetry and absorption can be explained with analogies of the normal world. Again no math.

On Selection rules, I have to search my old notes from physics.

You are going to give a lecture in the style of Richard Feynman as in Laws of Physics or Claude Shannon with his first chapter of The Mathematical Theory of Communication.

Plain, easy and with your special wit. Your audience will have a great time.

I have an idea about the completeness of preparation you have to do for the audience.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #242
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 46,405.85
I'll be good. I won't even say aufbau, ungerade, gerade -- which is just about the extent of my German, LOL.
windanncer and Broken Arrow like this.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #243
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
I'm about half way through Good Friday on The Rez by the founder of PC Magazine, PC World, and Macworld.

David H. Bunnell, Good Friday on The Rez, St. Martin's Press, 2017.

It's the story of a rather odd road trip from Alliance, NE to Kyle to visit a former student and friend. Parts of it rehash, albeit it from a highly personal, subjective perspective, some of the same events detailed in Stew Magnusen's The Death of Raymond Yellow Thunder. He relates a few tales from the years he taught at Little Wound School.
windanncer likes this.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:16 AM   #244
Senior Dancer

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
One third of Burry my Heart at Wounded Knee by by Dee Brown.

Sigh. Mankind and decision makers for a greater part have not learned really in the last 150+ years for the better ways.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Old 08-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #245
Senior Dancer

Completed Burry my Heart at Wounded Knee.
Switched to Luther Standing Bear and finished his books.
Worth reading as he was at places and times which lives on through his writing yet hard to experience from today, at least to me.

Explaining children of today what living was between 1960 and 1970 they can not imagine as it really was by their experience in today's world.

Decided to read Touching the Fire and Omaha Tales. I like the first one though it says to be a novel by the way it is narrated, from the present to the past.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Old 08-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #246
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Touching the Fire is indeed a novel. If you liked it, I'd recommend:

Susan Power, The Grass Dancer, Berkley, 1994.

Louise Erdrich, The Antelope WifeHarper, 1998.
windanncer and Broken Arrow like this.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #247
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Touching the Fire is indeed a novel. If you liked it, I'd recommend:
I ask myself what is novel and what is used by the term novel to embed truth within the novel. To a certain part, my view is that it is based on a part of Omaha and authors history history with the Omaha and combining other elements of plain tribes to make it a novel with a possible yet hypothetical tribe.

Reading another later book of Welsch where he comments on Touching the Fire let questions arise about how much of real tribes, people and tales are in this novel or have been taken in customized or imaginary form to explain the reality.

Quote:
Susan Power, The Grass Dancer, Berkley, 1994.

Louise Erdrich, The Antelope WifeHarper, 1998.
I am going to read them after Omaha Tales. I suppose they are emotional more difficult to read.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Last edited by Broken Arrow; 08-15-2017 at 04:36 PM..
Old 08-22-2017, 02:32 AM   #248
Senior Dancer

Omaha Tribal Myths and Trickster Tales.

A very interesting way to present the Myths and Tales. As it was written by the "younger" Roger Welsch, it is in my view quite different to the four other books I read and he has written in later years. In my opinion, this is the most difficult book to read by him.

This above book dates 19881 while two other books date 1994 (Uncle Smoke Stories) and 1997 (Touching the fire) and yet two further books 2012 (Embracing Fry Bread) and 2017 (The Reluctant Pilgrim).

He presents some tales told in the different versions they have been communicated or have been taken by short hand to the ability of the listener. The comments to every tale are of different depth.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Old 11-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #249
Senior Dancer

Browsing through books on Amazon, I came across the following book:

Witness

A Hunkpapha Historian's Strong Heart Song of the Lakotas

by Josephine Waggoner

edited by Emily Levine.

At the time; I am reading Ella Deloria and Julien Rice. Need to be reread from time to time.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Old 11-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #250
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post
Witness

A Hunkpapha Historian's Strong Heart Song of the Lakotas

by Josephine Waggoner

edited by Emily Levine.
This is a wonderful book.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #251
Senior Dancer

Quote:
This is a wonderful book.
I got one.

There is a second book
With My Own Eyes: A Lakota Woman Tells Her Peoples History.

Sigh, I can't read so fast.

I read Ella Deloria and Julien Rice and the translation from Lakota over English into German thinking requires to read and reread and consult the dictionaries. Else I miss to much.

There are losses in meaning and play on words already from Lakota to English and my knowledge of English is limited.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Sponsored Links