Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you discipline or plan to discipline your child/children?
My little Johnny and my precious Becky hardly ever misbehave. If they do, I dont play around... I immediately send them to timeout. (Warning to you: Your kids will probably be in timeout for 25 to life before they're 21.) 1 3.13%
I scold my children and may even verge on yelling at them but I would never hit them. (Warning to you: Your kid wont actually be the one doing the shooting... they'll just be an accomplice to the crime that the child in option 1 committed.) 1 3.13%
I spank my kids but only in private. Child punishment laws got me shook. (I can sympathize with you a little on this... youre still a punk in my opinion tho.) 2 6.25%
I aint no punk. I will embarass my kids in public by whatever means necessary and not think twice about it. When I'm at home, I make them pick the switches. (Its people like you who are the salt of the earth. Keep up the good work.) 13 40.63%
I believe when a kid gets 1 year old, I got the right to punch them in the throat or the stomach. If necessary, I'll beat 'em in their sleep. (You got some bada$$ kids! I aint mad atcha tho. You may actually be getting out of prison when the kids in options 1 and 2 and just getting there.) 0 0%
Just show me the results. 15 46.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Child Discipline Child Discipline

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2004, 01:47 AM   #1
=============

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Kool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 580.34
Savings: 0.00
Child Discipline

What's your take on this subject? My parents didnt spare the rod when raising me and I plan to follow in their footsteps. I think I turned out ok. I mean... I'm not carrying guns to school and shooting up entire classrooms of students... and I think that's a direct consequence of how I was brought up.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:24 AM   #2
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
BAHAHAHAHA!!! I will openly admit I'm the salt of the earth... my parents raised me this way and if I still got in trouble, then what good would it do my child if I was MORE lenient? I am not abusive though.. just old fashioned when it comes to correcting my kid.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:45 PM   #3
Shmiles With Eskimo Pride

nt_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond repute
nt_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,364.92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Breeze
My parents didnt spare the rod when raising me and I plan to follow in their footsteps. I think I turned out ok. I mean... I'm not carrying guns to school and shooting up entire classrooms of students... and I think that's a direct consequence of how I was brought up.
Exactly and you'll never hear me "bad mouthing" especially to my parents and/or elders. my butt would still be grass and my dad would be the lawn mower ... that's for dang sure.
I never ran from that switch when i was a babe ... but as you said Kool Breeze and Black Bear ... we come out pretty dang good, from being raised up the "old fashioned" way.

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
Join my on my face book fan page:
nt_inuk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
DON'T LOOK DOWN

Pony has a reputation beyond repute
Pony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Must I discipline you mah child??
Old 08-25-2004, 01:46 PM   #5
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
I don't really fit into any of the above categories as far as raising my own two children. I only had to give spankings up to a certain age, and only when they really deserved it. If you start young; not too young mind you, you end up with kids who know you are the people to look up to and respect. My kids are 14 & 11 now, and they are the nicest, smartest, most respectful kids a parent could ask for. My husband often gets compliments, or comments from other native people, that they admire how wonderful our kids behave at gatherings, and potlatches. I have over heard him, tell them it's all due to the way their mother has raised them. That was the nicest thing I've ever had my husband do. BTW, for the most part I can't stand most other peoples kids, people are so lazy about raising kids now days!
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2004, 02:11 PM   #6
...more than a feeling...

~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute
~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 982.39
I remember when I had to pick my own switch off the switch tree! That in itself was enough punishment!

Did anyone every get the razor strap?
(leather strap used for sharpening straight razors)

I'm showing my age here now! LOL

I qualify as the salt of the earth, but I don't think I will use a switch or strap, just my good ole hand and a couple or few well placed pops on da butt!
~Journey~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2004, 02:20 PM   #7
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
My dad was just plain abusive to us, but we lived! I've been hit with a switch, belts, belt buckle(once), hanger, electrical cord, kindling(small chopped wood), a hose, etc. etc. You name it; the guy would just loose it and grab the first thing available to whip us with. Most of the time we were beat because he was drunk. As for me; my kids would only be spanked only with my hand, when they really needed it. Like I have said before; drinking, smoking and drugs are not a part of our lives, therefore my husband and I have broken the circle of abuse and violence. Raising my own kids has been a real test for me, but like I said a blend of some reasonable discipline and a lot of love really has its payoff.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2004, 02:34 PM   #8
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
All I'll say on this subject is what the current trend in Child Psychology espouses and that is: violence against another person teaches a child that violence is an acceptable way to express anger, pain or frustration. The child usually does not fully associate that slap or whipping with what they did. Reward good behavior. Too often parents react when children misbehave instead of reinforcing when they do something positive, like playing nicely with their baby brother or sharing a toy with another child. When a child misbehaves the first time you tell them you did not like what they did and if they do it again there will be consequences. Taking away TV privileges, not letting them have a friend over, not letting them go to the mall, etc., are some examples. Don't use household chores as a punishment. A child should be expected to do household chores (not a slave, mind you) as a matter of course. This made me think of something else. An older child should be expected to babysit a younger sibling without being paid. This is part of contributing to the wellbeing of the family and not something deserving of a 'bribe'. Well, I better quit while I am ahead.... counselor hat off...

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Last edited by Plenty Fox; 08-25-2004 at 02:36 PM..
Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2004, 02:47 PM   #9
DON'T LOOK DOWN

Pony has a reputation beyond repute
Pony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WocusWoman
My dad was just plain abusive to us, but we lived! I've been hit with a switch, belts, belt buckle(once), hanger, electrical cord, kindling(small chopped wood), a hose, etc. etc. You name it; the guy would just loose it and grab the first thing available to whip us with. Most of the time we were beat because he was drunk. As for me; my kids would only be spanked only with my hand, when they really needed it. Like I have said before; drinking, smoking and drugs are not a part of our lives, therefore my husband and I have broken the circle of abuse and violence. Raising my own kids has been a real test for me, but like I said a blend of some reasonable discipline and a lot of love really has its payoff.
I can relate to this..its esepecially sad when they don't realize or remember and thus don't want to acknowledge that they did these things.
My man does not behave in this way towards the kids or anyone else, way nor do I because we both know the permanent damage that can come from it.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:53 PM   #10
Shmiles With Eskimo Pride

nt_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond repute
nt_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,364.92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey
I remember when I had to pick my own switch off the switch tree! That in itself was enough punishment!
Yup! I remember that too ... ooooooooouch ... first u try and get a tiny lil' switch .... didn't take but One, to learn - they were worse ... lol ...

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
Join my on my face book fan page:
nt_inuk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2004, 03:02 PM   #11
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
We usually rotate the punishment... spanking is for major crimes or repeated crimes. In some cases a nose in the corner is all that is needed, sometimes no tv...sometimes no toys and sometimes the kool-aid spoon on that plump rump. Whichever one I use though I tell her exactly why she is being punished and why what she did was wrong or bad and try to make her understand... the biggest problem though is with OP/DF disorder... it's like she knows if she does it, she's gonna be found out, and punished for it, but still goes right on doing it.. again and again and again. She learns but she does'nt.. it's like an uncontrollable impulse. And all we can do is be consistant.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:31 PM   #12
...more than a feeling...

~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute
~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 982.39
I use a pop on the butt only on rare occasions. She is 4. Most of the time if we are in public, and she repeatedly will not listen or behave, I take her outside (that in itself lets her know trouble is coming), she starts saying I'll be good Mom before we get out the door. Another one is the "whisper', SOMETIMES they hear better in a whisper, I'll lean down and tell her in the most quiet voice, behave or we will leave, she knows I mean business.

It's hard to punish a child at least it is for me, but I know I have to if I want my child to grow up with repect and consideration for everyone and all things.

Some circles are good to break especially the abusive ones!
~Journey~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2004, 03:43 PM   #13
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey
... I take her outside (that in itself lets her know trouble is coming), she starts saying I'll be good Mom before we get out the door.
Gotta love the little rascals!

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2004, 07:08 PM   #14
ROCKIN' THE FREE WORLD

Thumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond repute
Thumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond repute
i got my a$$ drop kicked across the room (a little exageration) i'm ok, probably b/c of my compassionate mom.
who also got her a$$ drop kicked. i disagree with psychs.
cause different ppl handle things differently. i don't beat my kids, or my wife. if my 5 yr old screws up, it's pushups. he can do over 50 now. sometimes wall squats. when it's a repeat it's a spankin' no more than 3 strikes of my hand...my hand is a little heavy. sometimes i also tell my 5 yr old..."pushups or spankins" he starts crying at about 7 to try to get out of it....but he can do soooo many more than that. i showed him knuckle pushups, and his hands are so soft, he can't do 2 yet.... and if he starts to screw up in public i'll ask him if he wants me to pull his pants down in front of everyone and spank him. he tested me once at a bbq at a friends party. he hasn't done it since....... :rtf:
how come everytime i turn around someone is speaking spanish to me? this is new
HONOR THY CHILDREN
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2004, 07:48 PM   #15
Senior Dancer

River Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
i got my a$$ drop kicked across the room (a little exageration) i'm ok, probably b/c of my compassionate mom.
who also got her a$$ drop kicked. i disagree with psychs.
cause different ppl handle things differently. i don't beat my kids, or my wife. if my 5 yr old screws up, it's pushups. he can do over 50 now. sometimes wall squats. when it's a repeat it's a spankin' no more than 3 strikes of my hand...my hand is a little heavy. sometimes i also tell my 5 yr old..."pushups or spankins" he starts crying at about 7 to try to get out of it....but he can do soooo many more than that. i showed him knuckle pushups, and his hands are so soft, he can't do 2 yet.... and if he starts to screw up in public i'll ask him if he wants me to pull his pants down in front of everyone and spank him. he tested me once at a bbq at a friends party. he hasn't done it since....... :rtf:
you are using humor (that's good) and you are actually sharing something you do (the exercises) so it seems to me you are approaching things pretty constructively. must be hard for you parents when the eyes fill with tears, the lip comes out and their little faces crumple. I'd be a push over. My Mom used to say "quit cryin' or I'll really give you something to cry about!" and her favorite 'weapon' was those skinny, hard green bamboo sticks you use in the garden to tie up plants. Those really sting across the back of the legs. But I think for me some of the verbal abuse was worse than any stick...
"The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota
River Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2004, 08:26 PM   #16
ROCKIN' THE FREE WORLD

Thumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond repute
Thumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond repute
i agree w/ you Spirit... i'd rather get my butt beaten than be told i'm stupid and worthless....as for crying, i let my son cry when he gets frustrated....i don't make him feel bad about it, the way 98% of fathers do. that always made it worse for me when i was a kid. but if he cries to try to get out of something... i ain't havin' it...
how come everytime i turn around someone is speaking spanish to me? this is new
HONOR THY CHILDREN
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2004, 10:28 PM   #17
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
i agree w/ you Spirit... i'd rather get my butt beaten than be told i'm stupid and worthless....as for crying, i let my son cry when he gets frustrated....i don't make him feel bad about it, the way 98% of fathers do. that always made it worse for me when i was a kid. but if he cries to try to get out of something... i ain't havin' it...

do you THUMP them around Thumper?

ayyye... jusskiddin. :p

Anii Niij! Anishna? Anish gii winjibayaan?

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2004, 12:05 AM   #18
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washakie Witch
All I'll say on this subject is what the current trend in Child Psychology espouses and that is: violence against another person teaches a child that violence is an acceptable way to express anger, pain or frustration. The child usually does not fully associate that slap or whipping with what they did. Reward good behavior. Too often parents react when children misbehave instead of reinforcing when they do something positive, like playing nicely with their baby brother or sharing a toy with another child. When a child misbehaves the first time you tell them you did not like what they did and if they do it again there will be consequences. Taking away TV privileges, not letting them have a friend over, not letting them go to the mall, etc., are some examples. Don't use household chores as a punishment. A child should be expected to do household chores (not a slave, mind you) as a matter of course. This made me think of something else. An older child should be expected to babysit a younger sibling without being paid. This is part of contributing to the wellbeing of the family and not something deserving of a 'bribe'. Well, I better quit while I am ahead.... counselor hat off...
Hmm... Do you have kids? :Thinking

:rofl2:
Old 08-26-2004, 12:27 AM   #19
PowWows.com Addicts

**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute
**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute
Location: just think trees, lakes, rolling hills n fresh air.
I am the salt of the earth...I have a 4 year old daughter, but raised with a large family. I helped raise about 20 other children in my home. Not every child these days get the whippin' we got as kids. I remember the worst whippin' I got, I ran away to the berm filled with water, after a day or so of rain. We were having the time of our lives, me and my cousins. Although the water was filthy and muddy, we were determined to play in the water. My father sent our uncles after us with horses and brought us home. There was about 10 of us kids in a row, muddy hair and dirty clothes. Each of us were bent over and whipped with a leather strap used on the horses. That didn't teach me a lesson though.....I still got in trouble up to high school, to this day my parents still tell me, "I brought you into this world, I'll still spank you even if you are married!" They weren't kidding too. Well, I turned out pretty good. I thank my parents for bringing me up with harsh discipline and I will be damned if my daughter sasses me! I will not tolerate any talking back, eyes rolling, head bobbing, or foul mouthing. Since we instill that rule, my daughter is smart not to try. She's courteous, picks up her toys, and never talks back. She's smart not to sass two military parents.
**jdazmum** is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2004, 11:00 AM   #20
NDNBUNZ

Jibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond repute
Jibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond repute
My mom STILL whoops my a$$ to this day. And I have been muscled by everything from her pythons to belts to hangers to switches .. growing up being whooped from an semi-pro boxer (first woman in Ontario to KO a male opponent) makes for a very pleasant child. It only ever took THE EYE, but for the rare occassion that I stepped on my mother's path when she was in a bad mood .. HOOOWEEE!

My son knows that a standard can of Klik would be opened on his a$$ should he cross the line. But for the most part, THE EYE does the trick. Time out's don't work. Taking toys away is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. What bad kids need is a good five accross the eye. That'll teach 'em.