Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Church??? Church???

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Jingle Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
softwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond repute
softwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Church???

Today is Sunday, and I was just wondering who all out there goes to church?? Is it native or non-native and do you enjoy going, just what makes it special to you??
Old 10-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Junior Dancer

PrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond repute
Well I can say I do not visit a church on Sundays....not that I would refuse to go...I think church in whatever way you chose to worship is great. However, my husband works 70-80 hours a week and the weekends are our downtime. Saturday we usually spend doing chores around the house and errands. Sunday is the day we hang out on the couch and I let him enjoy the games....mostly football with an occasional hockey game. So the weekends including Sunday are our family time since the week is so hectic. I am sure there are many of us out there who choose to reconnect with our loved ones during the weekend. :)

Last edited by PrairieTX; 10-28-2007 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
PrairieTX is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
AH LOVE LAUGHIN!

APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,323.85
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by softwind View Post
Today is Sunday, and I was just wondering who all out there goes to church?? Is it native or non-native and do you enjoy going, just what makes it special to you??
hello SOFTWIND. i was raised to go into a church to pray. but as i became a teenager, there were many reasons i did not associate GOD with being a good thing or something i could make any sense of. the teachings and what church people do and say are never quite the same. and i have gone to many churches in other religions.

my GRANDMOTHER who was a Cheyenne medicine woman, was the one who helped me to understand CREATOR. now i dont feel like a hypocrite when it comes to prayer or sacred places and spiritual times. i now can feel CREATOR all around me, in me. i pray when i feel the need, not just when i go into a building. to me, CREATOR is around me all the time, but especially outdoors....

"Life is too short to not take the time to laugh” ~AME~
"Who can afford NOT to laugh at themselves?" ~AME~
"I laugh the most when i laugh at myself!” ~AME~
"Laughter is'nt really "the best medicine"...it’s the CURE!” ~AME~
"Give me a good laugh,... and i will give you my world!” ~AME~

**laughin**
APACHEFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
NOPE, I do not attend church, no need for me as I'm non-christian. I have an one on one relationship with the creator.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

Dawn_B is a splendid one to beholdDawn_B is a splendid one to beholdDawn_B is a splendid one to behold
To me church is just one mans thoughts on another mans writing, as the bible has ben changed so many times to suit what ever religion.. I believe in a higher power that i choose to call god, which to me means G: good O: orderly D: direction. and I do pray when I feel the need.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Mama

forgotten1z is a jewel in the rough
Talking

I attend services and not just for holidays. I pray everyday and thank God everyday for the gifts he has given me and the blessings he has bestowed on my family. Sometimes I do not enjoy waking up early on Sundays or attending on Saturday nights but it's not about enjoyment it's about sacrifice. Sacrificing your time, your comfort, your selfish desires to be somewhere else and get yourself into a church or a sacred place where God can hear you best. I do enjoy talking to God and I don't speak to God the way someone else wants me to, I speak to him from my heart in a real way. I am (Algonquian Three Rivers Quebecquois) but I'm mixed and my people are Catholic we come from all over the world (Poland, Mexico, French Canada, Ireland, Italy) Ethnic Catholics it's in our blood.
forgotten1z is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
I spent my Sunday in the creator's largest church, the great outdoors. I spent my morning sitting in the woods deer hunting. At sunrise I heard a broadwing hawk calling not too far away, saw some cardnals, and a few bluejays. The sunlight shining on the beautiful fall colored leaves. It made me happy to be alive!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
Jingle Dancer

softwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten1z View Post
I attend services and not just for holidays. I pray everyday and thank God everyday for the gifts he has given me and the blessings he has bestowed on my family. Sometimes I do not enjoy waking up early on Sundays or attending on Saturday nights but it's not about enjoyment it's about sacrifice. Sacrificing your time, your comfort, your selfish desires to be somewhere else and get yourself into a church or a sacred place where God can hear you best. I do enjoy talking to God and I don't speak to God the way someone else wants me to, I speak to him from my heart in a real way. I am (Algonquian Three Rivers Quebecquois) but I'm mixed and my people are Catholic we come from all over the world (Poland, Mexico, French Canada, Ireland, Italy) Ethnic Catholics it's in our blood.
ON SACRIFICE

"Love, to be real, must cost, it must hurt, it must empty us of
SELF." Mother Teresa
Old 10-28-2007, 11:27 PM   #9
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedeagle View Post
I spent my Sunday in the creator's largest church, the great outdoors. I spent my morning sitting in the woods deer hunting. At sunrise I heard a broadwing hawk calling not too far away, saw some cardnals, and a few bluejays. The sunlight shining on the beautiful fall colored leaves. It made me happy to be alive!!!!!
Now, thats a way to spend a Sunday!
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2007, 01:57 AM   #10
Junior Dancer

Dawn_B is a splendid one to beholdDawn_B is a splendid one to beholdDawn_B is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by WocusWoman View Post
Now, thats a way to spend a Sunday!
wish I was there too
Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedeagle View Post
That's great I am really happy for you, too much of this world spends their lives in misery.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,654.90
Yep, I'm a Christian, and I try to attend church every Sunday, but there are times when I just want to stay home with the family, and be a family. I do pray every day, and I'm a firm believer in the power of prayer.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
I'm kind of struggling with this right now. I've been a Christian for many years, and used to attend church every week. Lately though it's gotten harder. I've seen a lot of really faithful people really having a hard time, either financially or with their health, or something, and I pray for them, but then nothing gets better. It's made it tough to keep trusting in the Creator - like maybe it's better not to ask for things, because that way I don't have to feel disappointed when he says "no."

Just an example - our van has been pretty unreliable lately, doesn't always start. Well, yesterday my husband was wanting us to stay home from church and I wanted to go. So, I prayed that the van would start, and it did. But then, when it came time to go home, we couldn't get it to start. And it was stuck in a spot that is only 2-hour parking on the weekdays, which leaves you open for a $50 ticket. Anyways, I guess I thought God would bless us for coming to church, and instead our car wouldn't start, my husband got angry, and it ruined the birthday lunch that my mother-in-law had planned for me.

I don't know, it's just tough. I see blessings coming to people who are just living for themselves, and other people who really care about folks, pray hard, are thankful for what they receive, and they're just getting all kinds of hard knocks. Not sure what to do or believe these days. I want my kids to believe in God and to trust Him, but how can I teach him that when the legitimate things we are asking for (reliable transportation, getting our house refinanced so we're not paying nearly $2000 a month - up from $1200 a month) aren't coming to pass?

Sorry to dump on y'all, but that's just how I feel right now.
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofAda View Post
I'm kind of struggling with this right now. I've been a Christian for many years, and used to attend church every week. Lately though it's gotten harder. I've seen a lot of really faithful people really having a hard time, either financially or with their health, or something, and I pray for them, but then nothing gets better. It's made it tough to keep trusting in the Creator - like maybe it's better not to ask for things, because that way I don't have to feel disappointed when he says "no."

Just an example - our van has been pretty unreliable lately, doesn't always start. Well, yesterday my husband was wanting us to stay home from church and I wanted to go. So, I prayed that the van would start, and it did. But then, when it came time to go home, we couldn't get it to start. And it was stuck in a spot that is only 2-hour parking on the weekdays, which leaves you open for a $50 ticket. Anyways, I guess I thought God would bless us for coming to church, and instead our car wouldn't start, my husband got angry, and it ruined the birthday lunch that my mother-in-law had planned for me.

I don't know, it's just tough. I see blessings coming to people who are just living for themselves, and other people who really care about folks, pray hard, are thankful for what they receive, and they're just getting all kinds of hard knocks. Not sure what to do or believe these days. I want my kids to believe in God and to trust Him, but how can I teach him that when the legitimate things we are asking for (reliable transportation, getting our house refinanced so we're not paying nearly $2000 a month - up from $1200 a month) aren't coming to pass?

Sorry to dump on y'all, but that's just how I feel right now.
Hey. I'm sorry about your birthday, your van and the ill ones in your life. I will pray for them and you! This is just my opinion, but I don't think you can really ask God for anything I think that if you thank God for every day that he gives you / your loved ones then that is all you can really ask for in this world. I believe that every day is a gift even it is a bad one. I see the face of God everyday in my children's faces and I know he is there for me and that he loves us. I have seen the face of the devil in my life, more than once, I know true misery. I guess that's why I am so thankful and just happy to be alive! I can't speak for you and it's not my place to but I hope my small words offer you comfort.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #15
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
NoA......there are some situations that God gives us that we cannot understand. We have to just keep on living. That is the true challenge in all the things that we do. It's up to us to decide how we want to live. If getting out of debt and getting a new van is what you want, then meet Him half way.

The Lord will answer.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #16
Granny:)

Items ElephantPresentRainbow
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
Credits: 16,430.57
When i was 8-11 i went to chuRch every sunday....because we had too, the rez had drop off for the kids, parents liked that..get rid of us for a few...i liked it tho...not for the god part just for the away from my home part and i liked the quiet..and the listening part...and i guess the meeting other ndn kids part too...but no i dont go to church on sundays.

Last edited by *Brown Eyed Gurl*; 10-29-2007 at 01:23 PM..
*Brown Eyed Gurl* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2007, 01:21 PM   #17
Happy Beading Woman

NoA...I sent you a PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #18
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
I go to services on Sunday at our longhouse. We sing and worship in our traditional way and those of us that attend usually dress in our wing dresses and mocs, with our hair braided etc, the men usually wear their mocs and ribbon shirts etc. The children dance and this is where they learn how to be a child of the longhouse, how to dance, sing and follow the teachings of our ancestors and Creator. Thats my church.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2007, 12:00 AM   #19
Jingle Dancer

I do go to church and I was raised from birth that church was a good thing and there have been times in my life when I was not in church as much as I know that I should be and the reason I go is to worship my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I do believe that you don't just have to be in Church to worship God you can commuion with him anywhere and at anytime. I do try to pray everyday and sometimes a few times a day I do try to read the word of God my Bible everyday, but there are days when I don't. I know that some native people say that the God of the Bible is the white man's God but to my opinion this is not so for know where in the Bible does it say God is any color it says that we are to worship "In Sprit and In Truth".
Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 AM   #20
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Quote:
Originally Posted by softwind View Post
I do go to church and I was raised from birth that church was a good thing and there have been times in my life when I was not in church as much as I know that I should be and the reason I go is to worship my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I do believe that you don't just have to be in Church to worship God you can commuion with him anywhere and at anytime. I do try to pray everyday and sometimes a few times a day I do try to read the word of God my Bible everyday, but there are days when I don't. I know that some native people say that the God of the Bible is the white man's God but to my opinion this is not so for know where in the Bible does it say God is any color it says that we are to worship "In Sprit and In Truth".
Not to mention the fact that the gospel came to the Jew first (not white people), and Jesus wasn't white.
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links