Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Denied a valedictorian Denied a valedictorian

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2005, 12:26 PM   #21
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Not to mention that she HAS been in the same school system since kindergarten, and the policy clearly states that the reason for said policy is so that someone that wasn't originally in that school district couldn't become validictorian, and that clearly isn't the case.

But I've been told it's the other way around!
~pathwalker~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2005, 12:51 PM   #22
Woman's Fancy

CJTurtle is a jewel in the rough
I look at it this way, that disorder could actually cost her life and there are consequences for things that you do. So her parents did the right thing to get her help, and the school could save her life by showing what she could be taking away if she kept on that same road. So i look at it different.

Another view to what i mean is........

There's a Pow wow.
Competition starts Friday lets say..........Dancer been there from the beginning. Doing great! Then some one comes in on Sunday and comes in late. Dancing just as great! Which one will you give it too?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:09 PM   #23
PowWows.com Addicts

~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
I would give it to the one that had been there in that case, but then again I am looking at each example as an individual case. Not a lump sum.
I don't think that is even the same tho, cause this girl never left the school system so she is not a newcomer.
I really don't understand why she missed registration tho, I mean the parent should of kept up with that. I also don't think schools should teach life lessons like you are suggesting, that opens a whole nother can of worms...

Old 05-19-2005, 06:58 PM   #24
Junior Dancer

2cuteUTE will become famous soon enough
She is being punished for having an eating disorder, not for missing school.

"What if" she was undergoing Kemo treatment and was to sick to go to school? Kids who receive honors like that don't just happen in to them, they work hard for years to maintain their grades.
2cuteUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2005, 07:02 PM   #25
PowWows.com Addicts

*clap clap clap* finally.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:40 PM   #26
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 105.03
Savings: 1.00
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pathwalker~
*clap clap clap* finally.
*clap, clap, clap*

different thought, similar subject...

ok - I just had a thought while I was reading and re-reading this thread.

When I was in Great Lakes I had my secondary training courses for Electronics Tech ("C" school)... About midway through the course, I took ill with a very bad case of viral syndrome and was "sick in quarters" for 3 days. Since the first day of my siq was the first day of a new subject, I had a friend take my book from the previous subject and trade it for the materials I needed for the new subject (there were 5 total). I was burning up with a 103 deg temp ~ which equates to 105 to someone whose temp is normally the "avg" 98.6 for 2 of those days! I still managed to sit up for a few minutes and look up a couple questions before dropping back on my pillow and snoozing for a few minutes.

After I was able to get back to class and do the labs, I found out that my command in Florida was going to "keep" me in the course if I dropped below the "62.5 and survive" rule. I wasn't about to let myself get scores that low and I actually scored higher than the first class fleet returnee and it frustrated him. One of the instructors told him, "You guys got to sleep through the lecture; she had too look it all up in the midst of her time to sleep!" I had scored 80% on the written!

I did indeed continue the course with a very good passing grade. The last day of class, I whooped the first class really good at a game of pool ~ surprised him so much he asked for a rematch... I scored the same way and walked out leaving him with his jaw hanging! I then went on to FL and worked on the equipment I had studied for in that section of the class!

While I had earned the respect of my peers in the school, the command treated me poorly the whole time I was there :-(

It is so sad that teachers and school administrators treat children this way ~ it is bad enough to be treated like this as adults. Children should be rewarded for their hard work and should not be penalized by some zero tolerance policy for something caused by a health problem.

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
some have weird names, & all different colors,
but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon

Last edited by SingingDeer; 05-19-2005 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: clarity
SingingDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2005, 10:02 AM   #27
Woman's Fancy

well with a sickness that you have no control over is one thing, such as cancer, but she brought on her disorder. To me it would tell young people that its ok. I don't think that disorder is ok. If the parents fight for that then it tells her what she did was ok. I look at that "disorder" as a real killer among young people. So the school have to look at that disorder as being serious. (especially with young people) And even if the school didn't know why she was out, she wasn't there at the time for registration. If you bend the rule for one then you would have to do it for all. Why have rules?

Im sorry i have a real passion about eating disorders and that its a serious problem. I see lives being thrown away just so they can "look HOT" I teach my kids to love themselves first. Not to go by what's on tv or magazines. They are beautiful. Its something that should be taught. I get tired of all these weight loss programs. Yes i do believe in regular exercise and getting right kind of eating habbits.(I have my kids involved in gyms etc.) but its the attitude of shoving down kids throat what they should look like. Banning candy in schools its up to parents to teach kids good eating habbits, not just hide it. I could go on and on. but its a serious subject. (That lady in FL. died just because of one of these disorders.) think about it.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:17 AM   #28
PowWows.com Addicts

Yes, she DIED, this DISEASE is NOT A CHOICE so people can be thinner, that is what fad diets are for. This disease is a mental and physical one. The people that have it do not see reality when they look in the mirror and it usally stems from low self esteem, not the need to be skinny. Take for example the pressure put on a olympic class gymnist, they have coaches and nutritionists, however alot of them still fall victim to this disease because of the PRESSURE to be thin and to please their coach. I don't believe that they do it to look HOT...I could be wrong.

Last edited by ~pathwalker~; 05-20-2005 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: SPELLING..
Old 05-20-2005, 11:03 AM   #29
Junior Dancer

I'm not condoning her eating disorder, but until any of us have had to deal with this situation (walked a mile in bulimic/anorexics shoes) we can't comprehend what they truly go through. Her family chose to help her when she was most receptive to treatment. Who knows what damage she would have done to her body, if they had waited another year.

As I was saying earlier these kids work hard for these honors. A goal they have set for themselves early in their educational careers. If this had been a student who was a survivor of any other type of treatment the administration would have been celebrating their battle back to health.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #30
PowWows.com Addicts

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cuteUTE
I'm not condoning her eating disorder, but until any of us have had to deal with this situation (walked a mile in bulimic/anorexics shoes) we can't comprehend what they truly go through. Her family chose to help her when she was most receptive to treatment. Who knows what damage she would have done to her body, if they had waited another year.

As I was saying earlier these kids work hard for these honors. A goal they have set for themselves early in their educational careers. If this had been a student who was a survivor of any other type of treatment the administration would have been celebrating their battle back to health.
do you think that it is both a physical and mental disease stemming from deep seeded issues or do you think it comes from the need to feel "hot"?

Old 05-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #31
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 105.03
Savings: 1.00
Eating Disorders are a disease.

True some individuals may start out wanting to be thinner, but when it becomes a fixation that takes control of their lives it crosses the line and becomes a real disease.

Try fasting for a vision quest? If you do not know how your body will respond, you could wind up very sick because you are opening yourself up to exposure by weakening your body by depriving it of food. It all started out innocent because all you wanted was to seek an answer to a question that was on your mind ~ but it can result in making you very sick if you are not careful.

Be careful not to judge others for the mistakes they make if it makes them sick, because you may have something far worse result from your own mistakes.

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
some have weird names, & all different colors,
but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon
SingingDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2005, 01:59 PM   #32
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
im pretty sure its a disorder.

i associate disease with something else.

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2005, 02:57 PM   #33
Junior Dancer

[QUOTE=SingingDeer]Eating Disorders are a disease.

True some individuals may start out wanting to be thinner, but when it becomes a fixation that takes control of their lives it crosses the line and becomes a real disease.

It is not as superficial as most folks think. It has to do with self-esteem issues. Most individuals who have an eating disorder are control freaks (for lack of a better term). They feel they can control everything including how much they do/don't eat.

Injunboy-
I associated this with a disease...........saying this is just a disorder is like saying alcoholism is a disorder.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:22 PM   #34
plains n8tv

tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
I think that by saying bulemia or anorexia is brought on to "look hot" makes fun of all the people who have this disease. Anorexia is not a disease to "look hot", the "people" (not only girls) actually see themselves as fat, ugly, disgusting people, when in fact they are not. Their self image is distorted by mainstream society's standard of what is beautiful. I agree with the 2cuteUte...by saying this is a "disorder" is dangerous, it is a mental disease (and NO i'm not calling her retarted or anything).

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?
tradish_wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2005, 04:28 PM   #35
PowWows.com Addicts

I am glad that SOME of you understand what damage this DISEASE does to PEOPLE and where it stems from... Also that it is a mental DISORDER, but a physical DISEASE. It is definately NOT a choice and it is very dangerous. If it were just to look "HOT" then that Olsen twin wouldn't have it because she is already "HOT."

Old 05-20-2005, 04:47 PM   #36
The Original OP CREW

AlmostThere is a name known to all
One shouldnt judge a person for its PERSONAL problems, have a a "problem", disease or disorder but instead the one way carries himself in his own mannor and the bottom line. Through in this case, school work. Thats sad.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:52 PM   #37
Junior Dancer

Hmmmmmmm..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJTurtle
well with a sickness that you have no control over is one thing, such as cancer, but she brought on her disorder.
I disagree............what about lung and throat cancer from smoking cigarettes; or the effects alcohol can have on the liver, kidneys and stomach. None of these are classified as disorders. They could possibly have been controlled, don't smoke, don't drink...............don't get the above mentioned. Simple, but as we all know there are other, deeper issues that contribute to each of these.

I don't know why I'm so fired up about this. I don't even know anyone who has been through anything like this (anorexia / bulimia).

I feel sorry for her cause she has worked hard to be valedictorian, and because of a stupid rule, she will be denied. The honor will be then be awarded to the second best.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #38
PowWows.com Addicts

I think that about says it all, don't you. I mean ya can't educate everyone, right 2cuteUTE? At least we know where everyone stands on the issue and hope that some are open minded enuff to learn something.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:39 PM   #39
Woman's Fancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pathwalker~
I think that about says it all, don't you. I mean ya can't educate everyone, right 2cuteUTE? At least we know where everyone stands on the issue and hope that some are open minded enuff to learn something.
Thanks for the insult, but I have some friends who went through this. Like a DRUNK THEY have to see it as a problem before THEY can seek TREATMENT, if you baby or give into that problem won't go away. Yes it does destroy the body. Starts out innocent and becomes a sickness. mostly by looks Im sorry but it does. I like to see the problem to be dealt with guess that makes me a uneducated person.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:00 PM   #40
Woman's Fancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingDeer
Eating Disorders are

Be careful not to judge others for the mistakes they make if it makes them sick, because you may have something far worse result from your own mistakes.
I'm not here to judge anyone. I would rather see the problem as noted as the type of problem it is. Its a brought on sickness (self pain) for what ever reason. I don't like seeing people go through it. It just makes me sad that some times these kind of treatments are hard lessons, but only way some people cure. So some times when you think your doing good you could be hurting someone.