Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xTekno

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Did You Know?.... Did You Know?....

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2003, 02:24 PM   #1
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Savings: 0.00
Question Did You Know?....

Did you beautiful, intelligent and amazing Native American people know... That 1 in every 130 people living in the US today is a Native American? That while our national Native American population is small (2,416,410)....... we have the highest population of any race enlisted in the Armed Forces? That the words "Miami", "Chicago", "Cuba", & "Potomac" are all derived from Native American words? That the names of over half the states in the US came from Native American languages? For example, "Oklahoma" is from the Choctaw language meaning "home of the red people". "Utah" is what the Ute people named themselves. "Kentucky" is from the Iroquois language meaning "planted field".

Did you beautiful, intelligent and amazing Native American people know... That 75% of the Native American workforce earn less than $7,000 per year? That 45% of Native American's live below poverty line? 38% of those living below the poverty line are aged 6 to 11 years old. That the national average of unemployment for Native American's is 45%? That the unemployment rate on some reservations is as high as 90%? That 45% of Native American mothers have their first child under the age of 20? This is more than double the rate of any other ethnic group.

Did you beautiful, intelligent and amazing Native American people know... That 46% of our Native American people have NO electricity? That 54% of our Native American people have NO indoor plumbing? That 82% of our Native American people DO NOT have a phone?

Did you beautiful, intelligent and amazing Native American people know...
That ONLY 52% of our Native American children graduate high-school? That ONLY 17% of our Native American kids attend college? That ONLY 4% of our Native American youth GRADUATE college? That ONLY 2% of our Native American youth attend graduate school?

That alcohol mortality is 627% greater than ALL other races combined? That the alcoholism death rate for Native American's ages 15-24 years old is more than 17 times the comparable rate of other American's? That Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) is 33 times higher in Native American's than ALL other races combined? That Tuberculosis is 533% greater than ALL other races combined? That Diabetes is 6.8 times greater in Native American's than ALL other races combined? That Pneumonia and Influenza is 61% greater in Native American's than ALL other races combined? That there are 962 Native American men and women who have HIV? That there are 2,537 Native American men and women living with AIDS? That one in six Native American adolescents has attempted suicide. That's four times the national average. That homicide is 63% greater in Native American's? Homicide is the second leading cause of death among Native's 14 years old and YOUNGER and the third >> > leading cause of death for Native's 15-24 years old. That Native American's die younger than any other race? 13% of Native American deaths are under the age of 25 compared to only 4% of the national average.
Did you beautiful, intelligent and amazing Native American people know... Native American's are the only ethnic group mentioned in the US Constitution? That there have been more treaties, agreements, federal legislation, and executive orders written
concerning Native American's than any other single group in the history of this country?
"The utmost good faith shall always be observed towards Indians; their lands and property shall never be taken from them without their consent." Congress, 1789
"No wrong will ever be done to you by our nation." Thomas Jefferson, 1804
Now, are these shocking to you? Do you find these statistics disturbing? Or do they not even bother you? My beautiful, intelligent and amazing brother's and sister's...WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO NOT ONLY BETTER YOUR LIFE, BUT THE LIVES OF OUR PEOPLE?
Think about it... Food for thought. Praise God and count your blessings.
:Angel2
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
thanks my beautiful native sista! :)
Old 10-01-2003, 02:31 PM   #3
conquistaDORA!

buckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 440.00
Question

did you just do some sort of statistical paper on american indians and our economic standing? Wow, lots of #'s & did you knows.....but sadly i'm sure a lot of us already KNOW a lot of this because we live amongst it or have been raised around it......but hey, thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by buckskin pantyhose
did you just do some sort of statistical paper on american indians and our economic standing? Wow, lots of #'s & did you knows.....but sadly i'm sure a lot of us already KNOW a lot of this because we live amongst it or have been raised around it......but hey, thanks for the reminder.
Wish I could take the credit for writing this but I just got it in an email, and wanted to pass it on. Yes very good reading and some of it makes us proud while other parts of it are very sad and depressing. I for one am going out right now to help our Mother Earth to be uncluttered with trash that all the tourists and other messy people have littered HER with. :Angel2
Old 10-01-2003, 07:44 PM   #5
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Great info Kakeeya! You know, I think a lot of native people know it but don't realize it! Thanks for sharing that Kakeeya!

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2003, 07:50 PM   #6
StrongWillowsSister

WolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for sharing that . Yeah I am one that knows ..:D Did you also know that our beautiful Native American brothers an sisters in prison do not have the right to have their spiritual needs met . I know this for a fact an am trying to fight for my sister rights . She is in prison in Alabama but all around her have seemed to forget she fed them when they were hungry gave them what they needed . An now they DONT know her anymore . I am not ashamed of my sister she is paying a high price for choosing the wrong man..
DID ya know ...any one with any ideas on how to help her please email me [email protected]
an yeah there are many here that knew her an now choose to forget her.
WolfTears is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2003, 08:02 PM   #7
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Quote:
originally posted by ojibwaysweetie
[B]Great info Kakeeya! You know, I think a lot of native people know it but don't realize it! Thanks for sharing that Kakeeya!
You're very welcome! And glad all you beautiful native sistahs enjoyed that! Wheres all the brothers at?
Quote:
Originally posted by MenNie Turtles
Thanks for sharing that . Yeah I am one that knows ..:D Did you also know that our beautiful Native American brothers an sisters in prison do not have the right to have their spiritual needs met . I know this for a fact an am trying to fight for my sister rights . She is in prison in Alabama but all around her have seemed to forget she fed them when they were hungry gave them what they needed . An now they DONT know her anymore . I am not ashamed of my sister she is paying a high price for choosing the wrong man..
DID ya know ...any one with any ideas on how to help her please email me [email protected]
Sorry to hear that MenNie Turtles, I was asked to run sweats for our Native sisters in prison and I am waiting for everything to clear so I can do that. I've gone into the prisons before to go to powwows and be with the brothers and sisters there, very sad to leave. Can your sister do anything like that where she is at? Prayers for you and her. :Angel2
Old 10-01-2003, 08:10 PM   #8
Junior Dancer

jazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow that is some great information. I did know all those things but to see it put down in numbers is almost overwhelming.

"MAKE THE MOST OF THE HEMP SEED, SOW IT EVERYWHERE"--GEORGE WASHINGTON
jazzy95 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2003, 08:39 PM   #9
StrongWillowsSister

WolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond repute
No our spiritual leader is not allowed to see her.
WolfTears is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2003, 12:16 AM   #10
John&Pam

Quote:
Did you also know that our beautiful Native American brothers an sisters in prison do not have the right to have their spiritual needs met .
I visit Southeastern Prison in Pikeville and it's like running through knee deep mud trying to get the chaplain down there to give the guys what they need. It's in writing in the state laws that they can have sacred items but then they turn around and say "no-that's contraband" or "That can be used as a weapon"
:wall: John H
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2003, 01:49 AM   #11
T.K.O.

saukpuppet has a reputation beyond repute
saukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 90.00
Quote:
Originally posted by MenNie Turtles
oh mennie...in oklahoma prisons, ndns are allowed, when my brother was at taft...and i forget where else but they have sweat lodges there for them
Old 10-20-2004, 05:30 PM   #12
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfTears
No our spiritual leader is not allowed to see her.

WHAT????!!!! OMG.. thats IS So wrong and goes against the constitution regarding freedom of religion, id be looking into that 1 if i were you it dont matter where she is... an example needs to be made of this, if this is true.

Here in Canada we have that for our prisoners we even have our own jail on our reservation , the government has incoorperated the healing circle into the Judicial system. They have begun to understand that there ways do not work the same for our people.

I cannot say how shocked I am to see this, it has made my blood boil. I wish I knew more about your laws there and what could be done about it, but Please do not give up the fight, we all make our mistakes and we should not be deprived of those things which help us heal. I pray for you and your sister both and hope that you will find a way to conquer this injustice.
AngelFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2004, 01:03 AM   #13
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakeeya
Did you beautiful, intelligent and amazing Native American people know... That 1 in every 130 people living in the US today is a Native American? That while our national Native American population is small (2,416,410)....... we have the highest population of any race enlisted in the Armed Forces? That the words "Miami", "Chicago", "Cuba", & "Potomac" are all derived from Native American words? That the names of over half the states in the US came from Native American languages? For example, "Oklahoma" is from the Choctaw language meaning "home of the red people". "Utah" is what the Ute people named themselves. "Kentucky" is from the Iroquois language meaning "planted field".

Did you beautiful, intelligent and amazing Native American people know... That 75% of the Native American workforce earn less than $7,000 per year? That 45% of Native American's live below poverty line? 38% of those living below the poverty line are aged 6 to 11 years old. That the national average of unemployment for Native American's is 45%? That the unemployment rate on some reservations is as high as 90%? That 45% of Native American mothers have their first child under the age of 20? This is more than double the rate of any other ethnic group.

Did you beautiful, intelligent and amazing Native American people know... That 46% of our Native American people have NO electricity? That 54% of our Native American people have NO indoor plumbing? That 82% of our Native American people DO NOT have a phone?

That ONLY 52% of our Native American children graduate high-school? That ONLY 17% of our Native American kids attend college? That ONLY 4% of our Native American youth GRADUATE college? That ONLY 2% of our Native American youth attend graduate school?

That alcohol mortality is 627% greater than ALL other races combined? That the alcoholism death rate for Native American's ages 15-24 years old is more than 17 times the comparable rate of other American's? That Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) is 33 times higher in Native American's than ALL other races combined? That Tuberculosis is 533% greater than ALL other races combined? That Diabetes is 6.8 times greater in Native American's than ALL other races combined? That Pneumonia and Influenza is 61% greater in Native American's than ALL other races combined? That there are 962 Native American men and women who have HIV? That there are 2,537 Native American men and women living with AIDS? That one in six Native American adolescents has attempted suicide. That's four times the national average. That homicide is 63% greater in Native American's? Homicide is the second leading cause of death among Native's 14 years old and YOUNGER and the third >> > leading cause of death for Native's 15-24 years old. That Native American's die younger than any other race? 13% of Native American deaths are under the age of 25 compared to only 4% of the national average.
Did you beautiful, intelligent and amazing Native American people know... Native American's are the only ethnic group mentioned in the US Constitution? That there have been more treaties, agreements, federal legislation, and executive orders written
concerning Native American's than any other single group in the history of this country?
"The utmost good faith shall always be observed towards Indians; their lands and property shall never be taken from them without their consent." Congress, 1789
Now, are these shocking to you? Do you find these statistics disturbing? Or do they not even bother you? My beautiful, intelligent and amazing brother's and sister's...WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO NOT ONLY BETTER YOUR LIFE, BUT THE LIVES OF OUR PEOPLE?

I don't know where you got the stats but what you can also include for Canadian Indians: we make up 3% of the population but we average around 16-18% of the total incarceration rate. We serve longer sentences, stay in higher security longer, get sent back to prison sooner for technical reasons. There is more but it gets really depressing after that. The reason I know is that, as some may know I am a parole officer. I went to a reserve today and was told by the Chief and Council that their youth start drinking and experimenting with drugs and sex as early as 9 years old. This is "consensual sex" between children the same age. Sexual assault is a different story. This same Chief and Council told me that they have approximately 60 children under the age of 16 in their community of 100 full-time residents and there isn't one child who was not traumatized by sexual abuse in one form or another. I have been to numerous reserves in BC and the stories are frighteningly similar at all of them.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2004, 06:45 PM   #14
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
Sadness plaugues our people

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmaninc
I don't know where you got the stats but what you can also include for Canadian Indians: we make up 3% of the population but we average around 16-18% of the total incarceration rate. We serve longer sentences, stay in higher security longer, get sent back to prison sooner for technical reasons. There is more but it gets really depressing after that. The reason I know is that, as some may know I am a parole officer. I went to a reserve today and was told by the Chief and Council that their youth start drinking and experimenting with drugs and sex as early as 9 years old. This is "consensual sex" between children the same age. Sexual assault is a different story. This same Chief and Council told me that they have approximately 60 children under the age of 16 in their community of 100 full-time residents and there isn't one child who was not traumatized by sexual abuse in one form or another. I have been to numerous reserves in BC and the stories are frighteningly similar at all of them.
Yes here in Canada those statistics are very much the same.
On our reserve theres a place where all the young folk hang out and we talking bout kids as young as 8 and up... they sniff , drink have consensual sex and now we have Young girls as young as 11 having kids and contracting the HIV virus. The sad thing is the town by which this place is, is predominately Mormon and the folks of that town have complained for years about the situation with our native youth BUT then they were presented with a proposal to have a youth treatment center built in that town and guess what ?? ALL the mormons that complained about the situation petitioned for the treatment center NOT to be built in "thier" town BUT it isnt thier town they just leasing it from the Natives. So a group of Natives got together and petitioned that all Natives should boycott the business's in that town, but my thought was... WTH is that gonna do, its not gonna help our youth and we STILL to this day have a problem :(
I like what the poster of the original post said in the end of her post... We know that these problems exist BUT what are WE as the people doing about it?? We can no longer afford to wait for the "non-natives" to help in the cause; our children are suffering while we keep pointing fingers. We cannot complain if we are not goona do anything bout it... Our people tried but were shot down again, prolly because they didnt come up with it first and they want the Natives in that area to convert to thier religious ways, it aint gonna happen ecspecially when they keep shooting down our efforts to help ourselves... they complain so muh that we are dependent, but when we try to unshackle ourselves we are told to stay put. Thats why I say MORE natives need to get in to higher positions like government... Law etc.. until then i fear that our efforts will be with much struggle. These are just my views on the situation please do not take them as an offence to our people. We have tried and we will continue to try I know this, i just wish more of us would truly care and take action. Its like our people have backed down ( our tribe) and the fight is no longer and yet our youth are still suffering, we cant just give up we have to keep getting up. This sadens me and hurts very deeply, My children when i look at them i wonder how much better of they will be or will things remain pretty much the same...
AngelFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2004, 07:48 PM   #15
Senior Dancer

debbieyd is a name known to all
Cool Did You Know?......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakeeya

This is pretty interesting, I wonder when the last of our elders and people in coucil will find a better way for our youth to spend their time instead of finding ways for adults to spend their money!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 04:26 PM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

Zintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Zi has a reputation beyond repute
Here's a statistic: For centuries, the white man believed the Earth was flat.
Zintkala Zi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

twinrivers is an unknown quantity at this point
another little tidbit

wow i did not even know all of this....another sad fact is that according to 2001 statistics(at least i think it was that year...)that our women have the highest suicide rate.
twinrivers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2006, 11:17 PM   #18
Teen Dancer

marie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFeather
WHAT????!!!! OMG.. thats IS So wrong and goes against the constitution regarding freedom of religion, id be looking into that 1 if i were you it dont matter where she is... an example needs to be made of this, if this is true.

Here in Canada we have that for our prisoners we even have our own jail on our reservation , the government has incoorperated the healing circle into the Judicial system. They have begun to understand that there ways do not work the same for our people.

I cannot say how shocked I am to see this, it has made my blood boil. I wish I knew more about your laws there and what could be done about it, but Please do not give up the fight, we all make our mistakes and we should not be deprived of those things which help us heal. I pray for you and your sister both and hope that you will find a way to conquer this injustice.
Did you know that a few of the reservations are finally getting their own Law enforcement. Only the R.C.M.P are permitted on the reservations and only if the Chief permits them. What part of Canada are you from? Just like the native children taken from their parents and their language and cultures taken away. Been abused................The govn`t is still taking..........Will be praying for you and your sister as well. Does she need any "pen-pals"? I am going to ask my Dad about this.......
marie_popcan@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #19
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,538.52
Hey Kaykeeya,

Have you heard from our "friend incommon from Ontario, lately?"

Any idea where these statistics originated? I try to keep up with these things and use them in lectures. I am always looking for updated/current statistics on American Indians.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #20
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 91,193.05
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakeeya View Post

The United States Constitution specifically mentions the relationship between the United States federal government and Native American tribes three times:

Article I, Section 2, Clause 3 states that "Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States ... excluding Indians not taxed."[1] According to Storey's Commentary on the U.S. Constitution, "There were Indians, also, in several, and probably in most, of the states at that period, who were not treated as citizens, and yet, who did not form a part of independent communities or tribes, exercising general sovereignty and powers of government within the boundaries of the states."

Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution states that “Congress shall have the power to regulate Commerce with foreign nations and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes”,[2] determining that Indian tribes were separate from the federal government, the states, and foreign nations;[3]

The Fourteenth Amendment, Section 2 amends the apportionment of representatives in Article I, Section 2 above.[4]
windanncer likes this.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links