• 3 Post By OLChemist
  • 4 Post By OLChemist
  • 3 Post By eagleclanriverband
  • 2 Post By subeeds
  • 3 Post By Toolbox
  • 4 Post By subeeds
  • 2 Post By eagleclanriverband
  • 4 Post By Toolbox

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Eclipse Plans? ...Stories? ...Customs? Eclipse Plans? ...Stories? ...Customs?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,248.83
Savings: 0.00
Eclipse Plans? ...Stories? ...Customs?

Just wondering what you're planning on doing?

I saw a couple of news stories regarding the customs that some tribes have or stories that have been handed down. I've never heard of any stories in my tribe.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tribes-ho...133201395.html

Anyone in the path where they can see the total eclipse?

Where we live, we're supposed to see a partial eclipse...but I don't have the right glasses to watch.

A couple months ago, I heard a NPR story about the eclipse. This 1 scientist said that during the eclipse, if you look at the shadows on the ground, all of the shadows will have crescents at the end. Isn't this something, huh?

Like all of the tree leaves' shadows will have crescents on them. I'm really fascinated & captivated by this thought/image...so I'm going to be looking at the shadows if I can actually see this happen.
eagleclanriverband is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

Leach is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 824.00
What tribe are you part of? :)
Leach is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 48,611.03
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leach View Post
What tribe are you part of? :)
Look at her avatar !

We ( me & eyesrbrown4areason ) are about 60 miles south of totality !
My sister Eagle Plumes is in the path of totality.

I have a couple welding helmets so I guess we'll probably watch it ! ( If it's not raining !)LOL Otherwise we'll watch it on tv.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2017, 05:48 AM   #4
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 46,408.85
Hey WD, be careful, please. Welding goggles have to be shade 14 to have sufficient attenuation.

AAS eye safety white paper

Page 5 of the above American Astronomical Society white paper has info on welding shields.

Folks, please, remember our ancestors were skilled observers of the skies. They may have had our eyes' health in mind as well as our spirit's if they warned us to look away. Your retina has no pain receptors, you cannot feel UV or infrared light cooking the cones and rods. A filter material may reduce the brightness and glare to comfortable levels, but allow damaging levels of invisible radiation in.

NMAI blog eclipse customs

If you feel it is appropriate to watch, please use ISO 12312-2-2015 compliant glasses. If you can't get them (I feel your pain), get a file folder, poster board, or cardboard and cut a 2"x2" square hole. Tape a piece of aluminum foil over the opening. Use a tack to punch a hole in the foil. Lay a sheet of white paper on the ground and, with your back to the sun, use the cardboard with the hole to project an image of the sun on to the paper. To see sun spots, you'll need about 3' between the screen and the pinhole, and good contrast. I've scoped out a nice corner in my cousin's garage where I can project the image into the shadows:)

Last edited by OLChemist; 08-21-2017 at 06:08 AM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 48,611.03
Savings: 1.00
I used to do some heliarc welding on aluminum. It requires the darkest lens available to not burn your eyes. My helmets are darker than most peoples ! We're good !

It was kinda cool ! About 95% coverage , got kinda twilight out , chickens and horses got quiet. Air got cool for a few minutes.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Last edited by wardancer; 08-21-2017 at 02:45 PM..
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
If you feel it is appropriate to watch, please use ISO 12312-2-2015 compliant glasses. If you can't get them (I feel your pain), get a file folder, poster board, or cardboard and cut a 2"x2" square hole. Tape a piece of aluminum foil over the opening. Use a tack to punch a hole in the foil. Lay a sheet of white paper on the ground and, with your back to the sun, use the cardboard with the hole to project an image of the sun on to the paper. To see sun spots, you'll need about 3' between the screen and the pinhole, and good contrast. I've scoped out a nice corner in my cousin's garage where I can project the image into the shadows:)
I saw on the news that cheap imports falsely stamped that they were ISO compliant...so I didn't trust any of them. It's sad what some people do to make a buck without concern of the damage they may cause.

I ended up making my own viewer like you explained @OLChemist ...Thanks for the info! It did the job. I made my husband a viewer, too. LOL..I got fancy with his & used a saltine cracker that they showed on TV.

I didn't see any crescent shadows though. They said on the news that we don't live in the right area to see those.
OLChemist and windanncer like this.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
We had 75% coverage. We got a good image with a pinhole and card. We had crescent shadows. The weirdest was when I held my hand out over the screen and got the shadows between my fingers. Looked like I had webbed fingers, LOL.

We didn't have any significant darkening. But at peak coverage the sunlight was kind of oddly colored.

I geeked out over the whole thing. Did the nerd thing and sat in the driveway watching the peak come and go.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
I forgot about the corona cakes. My cousin made little lemon bundt cakes and filled the center with a scoop of chocolate ice cream.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #9
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
We're going to have a big blow out for the 2024. If I'm still in the same town, we'll be in the path of the totality. I'll build a proper projection system and buy my glasses well in advance.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #10
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
It was kinda cool ! About 95% coverage , got kinda twilight out , chickens and horses got quiet. Air got cool for a few minutes.

You ( @wardancer , @eyesrbrown4areason & @Eagle Plumes) all are lucky to be so close to the path of totality.

Good thing it wasn't raining or cloudy.

I find it something that the chickens & horses went quiet. Like they know/sense something's happening.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:59 AM   #11
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 34,197.32
We were in a spot to have about 92% totality, but the clouds and thunderstorms had other ideas. Coming into work tonight on 95, there was nothing but taillights headed back to Florida. Lots of Floridians headed to the Carolinas to watch.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #12
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 71,412.42
We were in the partial zone but of course we had lots of clouds so it was in and out during the entire eclipse. The clouds dimmed the sun enough that you could take a quick peak up and look directly at the eclipse without protection - I know that is stupid. I didn't have any eclipse glasses myself so I stacked 6 camera ND filters together which made everything look almost crimson red - it worked but I only took glances every now and then. A few coworkers had the glasses so we were passing them around. 2 coworkers were using floppy disks as lenses and were taking glances with them.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2017, 01:17 AM   #13
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 34,197.32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
We were in the partial zone but of course we had lots of clouds so it was in and out during the entire eclipse. The clouds dimmed the sun enough that you could take a quick peak up and look directly at the eclipse without protection - I know that is stupid. I didn't have any eclipse glasses myself so I stacked 6 camera ND filters together which made everything look almost crimson red - it worked but I only took glances every now and then. A few coworkers had the glasses so we were passing them around. 2 coworkers were using floppy disks as lenses and were taking glances with them.
You do realize that by admitting that, OLChemist is probably going to read you the riot act.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2017, 03:16 AM   #14
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
You do realize that by admitting that, OLChemist is probably going to read you the riot act.
Aw, geez....the pressure is getting to me so I'll fess up, too. I snuck a quick peek.
windanncer and subeeds like this.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #15
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 71,412.42
Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
This was one of those things that get filed under "Don't try this at home"

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links