Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Extreme Makeover Home Edition Extreme Makeover Home Edition

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 02:46 AM   #1
Fat Singer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Extreme Makeover Home Edition

Is anyone following this show?

I have seen them do some good things for people who deserve it but the newest one was just filmed last week in maryland and I have a few things to say about it.

They build a 9 bedroom brand new home filled with plasma screens and electronic in one of the worst neighborhoods in the capitol district. The house is a huge monstrosity on a corner lot surrounded by delapidated homes and trash.

Granted the single mom with 8 kids needs it, but why not put it somewhere nicer?

They do it all the time, build the nice rich home in the slums. Do you think the neighbors are gonna be too happy?

And how are these people going to afford the taxes, upkeep, utilities? A house that size is gonna run them at least $500 per month in gas and electric. Plus all the other bills like food and clothes for 8 kids. All those kids are gonna need to get jobs to help pay the bills now.

You might say im a little jealous but people have to learn to live within their means.

They arent even going to be able to sell the home because who the hells gonna buy it where it is? It will be a 5 family slum within a year.

Another show I watched was the family who took in the 5 neighbor kids whose parents died. They got a nice new 8 bedroom home with all the perks. Those 5 kids moved out before the show aired because the parents supposedly did everything they could to drive them away so they could have the home to themselves. And to top it off, the 5 kids are sueing ABC, the builder and extreme makeover becuase "they didnt get the house THEY were promised".

They need to pick and choose the families better.

The best ones they did were the one for Lori P's family and the small families with handicapped kids.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2005, 06:27 AM   #2
Bear-y overprotective

Dakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant future
Could you imagine them doing rez houses? I think they'd sh*t themselves. "how many rusted out cars? No plumbing?????" *LOL* at least that's the house we had.....
Dakota Wica'hpi Ina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
BeadingDiva

beading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond repute
beading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond reputebeading_4_ndnz has a reputation beyond repute
Smile they can come to our rez, any time!

i need an extreme tee pee make over...............you bet! how many watched the piestewa's recieve their home! that was cool! its amazing aht that show does, its amazing how much money is floating around this country, yet, some people don't have alot! its weerd, i used to wonder, how come I'm walking, and I see cars going by with only one person in it? i've walked, believe me......... we need to share the wealth! see what the next "camp" needs, extreme tee pee camp make over........
beading_4_ndnz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob
Granted the single mom with 8 kids needs it, but why not put it somewhere nicer?

They do it all the time, build the nice rich home in the slums. Do you think the neighbors are gonna be too happy?

And how are these people going to afford the taxes, upkeep, utilities? A house that size is gonna run them at least $500 per month in gas and electric. Plus all the other bills like food and clothes for 8 kids. All those kids are gonna need to get jobs to help pay the bills now.
I think you answered your own question--partially, at least. Why not put it somewhere nicer? Because this isn't "Build Joe Blow a House in the Suburbs", it is "Extreme Makeover". They built where she owned, and the community she was part of. Maybe they need to tone things down a little to make the show more beneficial for the recipients; but it obviously isn't called 'Extreme Makeover' for nothing. You're right on the taxes and utilities, although I think they do something to help with taxes, at least in the beginning. My favorite show as the Single Father, the Black firefighter and the kids. Now, that wasn't a bad neighborhood, although the house was better than any other on the block and you never want to have the best house on the block for resale purposes (like you said). This is why I don't watch 'reality shows' much. They just aren't realistic.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
I also like how the big HOME BUILDERS do it for the poor family. Its all a tax write off so they actually dont spend anything. I know some contractors and they dont give anything away. The money and material come from other jobs. Oops I ordered too much wood and billed you, lets use the same wood and bill thie next job for the new wood also.

Yes they usually give the family $100,000. How long will that last a family of 9? Living day to day and pinching pennies cost me and my wife at least $25,000 a year. No kids, eating free food from her company cafeteria and visiting our parents for dinner once a week.

They are being set up to fail bigger than where they were originally.

Definitely too many rich people getting richer. I would just like to be debtfree, own a decent home in a nice area. I work hard for my money and I deserve a nice place.

Im not even gonna start on that SUPER SWEET 16 show. THOSE kids need to beaten and put in a home in the slums. Now there is a REALITY SHOW! But someone may get killed.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Im not even gonna start on that SUPER SWEET 16 show. THOSE kids need to beaten and put in a home in the slums. Now there is a REALITY SHOW! But someone may get killed.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

Old 08-23-2005, 03:59 PM   #7
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
since the show is a makeover type show and not a enhance your sterotype/perception show they had to do things differnt. i think thats why they added the plasma instead of bars on the window. true, adding a gun polisher and ammo dump next to the 50. cal pit would be nice to have. so would a stripper pole and EBT dispenser. heck we should just add an automated BBQ rib/malt liquor dispenser. id watch it and hell i might even buy it.

you have to kinda buy into that nuttiness.

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #8
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by injunboy
true, adding a gun polisher and ammo dump next to the 50. cal pit would be nice to have. so would a stripper pole and EBT dispenser. heck we should just add an automated BBQ rib/malt liquor dispenser. id watch it and hell i might even buy it.
LMAOROTFPIMP!!!!!!!!! haaaaaaaaahahahaha U ain't right.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:55 PM   #9
meeeeeeeeeeee

Talking

ditto!!!

Old 08-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #10
Jing-a-ling Shook-shook

kiiyaaniiasdzaa is just really nice
I Agree With You Here

Quote:

The best ones they did were the one for Lori P's family and the small families with handicapped kids.
kiiyaaniiasdzaa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2005, 12:22 AM   #11
Teen Dancer

One Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant future
I watch it because I like to see all the cool things they come up with. I don't really like all the doo-dads, and wouldn't own a 48" TV of any kind, don't need a home theater or super-sized entertainment center.

My dream house would be built out of concrete(doesn't burn, rot, or feed termites, ant, beetles or other wood-eaters, and doesn't grow mold), which can be colored and textured to look like any kind of rock(well it IS rock itself). The walls inside could be wood panel, or clay(yeah, there's colored clays that can be used for walls), or plastered with adobe or stucco. Wood floors except in the kitchen and bathrooms- I'd prefer polished concrete, brick, stone, or tile there. I kind of like those big wood beams holding up the roof being exposed, and would make use of skylights or those mirrored cylander skylights for indoor lighting during the day. I'd use active and passive solar for electricity and heating water(you can run the pipes in the concrete of the bathroom floors and heat them), and integrate the active solar with wind-generated power. The wind mill can also pump water from the well at the same time. I helped some friends in Nevada build a house like that, and they have a power house with 42 car batteries to hold the excess "juice"...enough juice to power the house for 7 days if the wind doesnt blow and the sun dont shine.

In the Southwest, you could use tamped earth walls stuccoed over with adobe or concrete, then sealed to keep moisture out permanently. With walls at least 12-18" thick, they would stay cooler in the day w/o using a/c and warmer at night w/o using heat as the heat in the walls gathered during the day would release out into the house at night.

Or you could use papercrete(3 parts concrete to 1 part shredded newspaper, strained and shaped) to build adobe-like houses. Because its much lighter than concrete, you cane even build the roof with it, but papercrete has to be sealed inside and out to keep it from getting wet. The easiest way to use it is as blocks or in 6 ft logs, stacked and mortared, then stuccoed over and sealed. The process whips the paper and concrete so that it's full of tiny air bubbles, so its self-insulating. Won't bear the weight of steel beams tho.

The more of our traditional homestyles we could infuse into building our modern day homes, the "homier" it could be for us, and the healthier. Heck, we could do our own Extreme Makeover: Home Edition!
One Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2005, 09:52 AM   #12
meeeeeeeeeeee

Housing Alternatives

Anyone familiar with foam housing? It may be the wave of the future. http://www.thermapanel.net/voanews.htm

Here's another hybrid home, check out the hay bale construction. http://www.buildingwithawareness.com/

I've seen both of these at state fairs and they are very interesting.

Last edited by Plenty Fox; 08-26-2005 at 09:57 AM..
Old 08-26-2005, 12:17 PM   #13
Fat Singer

Me and my wife want an old victorian home in the country. Sick of urban life. Originally we wanted to buy land and build a log cabin type home but we dont have time for that, we want to get out asap.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #14
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
strawbale homes are byfar the best homes being built here in nm, az. they just make sooo much sense here. i cant see why people would build anything else. the uppity rich white folk are building like crazy in the albuquerque/santa fe area. but by no means are they expensive to build. take a look and see for yourself.

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2005, 04:02 PM   #15
PowWows.com Addicts

Annie Fawn has a reputation beyond repute
Annie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 24.00
Quote:
Me and my wife want an old victorian home in the country. Sick of urban life. Originally we wanted to buy land and build a log cabin type home but we dont have time for that, we want to get out asap.
I always wanted a big victorian home, but we could only afford a 3 bedroom Jim Walter house 22 years ago. We had the house built, but left it semi- unfinshed and have spend the past 22 years making it to our tastes as we could afford it. We put in oak cabinets in the kitchen about 10 or 11 years ago to replace the junky ones JW had put in, we built the victorian front porch ourselves and I spent over 300 hours painting the details on it. This year we ripped up the vinyl flooring and put down pergo and tile, and also put tin ceilings in the new additions to the house the dinning room and new master bedroom. it's paid for as we go along and people who are new to our area thing our house is a restored 1800s victorian farm house.
You could also try Preservation Magazine. In the back of each mag. they have ads of historic homes for sale and we are talking real cheap! They need some labor and some need to be moved, but they are affordable even with that at the cost they are being sold for. You can also google victorian house plans and find loads to choose from.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:24 PM   #16
meeeeeeeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by injunboy
strawbale homes are byfar the best homes being built here in nm, az. they just make sooo much sense here. i cant see why people would build anything else. the uppity rich white folk are building like crazy in the albuquerque/santa fe area. but by no means are they expensive to build. take a look and see for yourself.
The website I linked with has a discussion about utility/energy use. Man, I could be saving so much money on utility bills! The article said that for the house in questions, when it was 98 degrees outside, it was 71 degrees inside. Well, yesterday it was 97 degrees out and I had my AC set to come on at 79 and it came on from 2:30 pm through 8:30 pm... Ouch!!

Old 08-27-2005, 12:06 AM   #17
Teen Dancer

One Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant future
I've seen those strawbale homes, and they ARE so cool, but they wouldn't make much sense here in the South where its so humid most of the year. On the Plains and in the desert, tho, they sure do rock.

Earth-birmed homes are really energy-efficient too. There's so many ways to build really good houses that are safe, efficient, and not that expensive.
One Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links