Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Fort Ancient Celebration and Danger of Closing Fort Ancient Celebration and Danger of Closing

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
daniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Fort Ancient Celebration and Danger of Closing

Fort Ancient is having the Annual Celebration this year June 13th and 14th.
I have a copy of the brochure here: http://www.kingsmills.us/fortancientcelebration.pdf

It's a bit bittersweet this time around because the park is in great danger of closing. Here is a letter I got from the site manager:

>Friends,
>The state budget cuts have really had an impact on the Ohio
>Historical Society. We had a meeting the other day discussing the
>new hours of operations and the short term future of Fort Ancient.
>We will not be open in April, weekends only in May, and Thur-Sun for
>June. If Fort Ancient has not found a partner by July, as it is now,
>the gates will be locked and the staff will be let go.
>
>Dr. William Laidlaw spoke to the Ohio Legislative body last week
>informing the state what will happen if there are no more funds
>allocated to OHS. Additional funding is needed to simply keep the
>sites open long enough to find a partner for the site, including Fort Ancient.
>
>I just wanted you all to know what has happened. If you feel
>compelled to write to the state representative or state senator to
>ask for more money for the OHS, and Fort Ancient, it would be appreciated.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Jack
>Jack Blosser
>Site Manager

There is a petition going around to try to help the park get additional funding to keep open.

Save Ft. Ancient Historical Site, OHS Petition
Old 03-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

GreatLakesIndian is an unknown quantity at this point
Sad

Fort Ancient is a great site. That is very sad to hear that OHS and the State of Ohio may have to close it and other great parks around the State. The same is heard around the country and many states and even some federal parks are in danger of closing with this very poor economy that we have.
GreatLakesIndian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Asmajol

Exclamation This is quite a concern

Thank you so much for posting this!!!!!!!

I was meaning to but hadnt got around to it.

At this point its gates will be open til sundown and they are hoping it wont be sold into private hands.
I've discussed it with a few people, and the reason it isnt protected as tribal land is because the mound builders are not around anymore.

Currently there is a handful of people trying to find resolutions. SO much work has been done there using sonar and finding what spots need to be protected and Jack Blosser has worked so hard with this land.

We are all sad that Jack will no longer have this position and hopefully it can be protected.

Afterall most Cincinnati was built on mounds, just dont try and get a city official to admit it (cuz that wont happen)

http://ohsweb.ohiohistory.org/places/sw04/index.shtml Another Ft. Aincient site

http://ohsweb.ohiohistory.org/places...rtner-02.shtml
Another link for celebration

Last edited by Asmajol; 03-25-2009 at 05:42 PM..
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
We used to do dance performances at the Ft. Ancient site for three summers, back in the 90's. I enjoyed participating in the workshops and learning some ancient skill such as hide tanning, flint knapping and Native foodways.

I thought it was a pretty good thing they had going there.

We quit going once the powwow began.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Asmajol

Happy to announce that the celebration this year broke all records! Over 4000 people came thru the gate, the silent auction was fantastic and Enough Money was made that it will nto be closing this year.

ON a side note, I met someone who is doing mound preservation work, so *crosses fingers* hopefully we can keep this land out of the hands of camps and what not.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Eskimo wannabe

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
vBActivity Stats
Achievements Happy 10th AnniversaryHappy 5th AnniversaryEverybody Loves Me!Posting GodThe Popular One
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
There will be deep budget cuts in Ohio. Libraries and State Parks are also going to lose funding. The Library funds will be cut 50%. Most branches will close, leaving only the main libraries open. Garbage pick up in some of the State Parks will be discontinued.

It would be nice if Governor Strickland would cut his salary instead.

Last edited by neling4; 07-01-2009 at 02:48 PM..
neling4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
Asmajol

YOU KNOW!

There was talk of selling Ft. Aincient to Camp Kern, Yeah real classy to have children running on Pre-historic Burial mounds
And I know that the Dayton Museum would protect a little, but mayne Im sorry i dont want privatized ownership of these grounds.

But we have another year to conspire on how to preserve thanks to the good turn out this year.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
Eskimo wannabe

vBActivity Stats
Achievements Happy 10th AnniversaryHappy 5th AnniversaryEverybody Loves Me!Posting GodThe Popular One
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh... I'm not sure what I think of that.

I just hope Serpent Mound is protected. That place is so beautiful. It would be horrible if it was lost after being preserved for so long. Surely the government, local, state or federal, would not allow it to be compromised in any way.

OHS - Places - Serpent Mound

Are you familiar with Octagon Mound?

Octagon Mound, Newark, Ohio on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It is a golf course. The good thing about that: it was preserved. The bad part is: it is a golf course.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #9
Asmajol

YEah Cincinnati is built atop mounds
Golf courses parks and even back yards
They try to act like its not true
Cuz it would make alot of people blue

I think Serpent mound will be ok, cuz alot of new agers are into that spot, with its "high energy vortex"
Have you been to the rock store across the street from there? They have some awesome fossils. Mammoth ivory too.

I didnt know about octagon mound, ill have to check it out thanks for the link.

Im not giving up on finding ways to protect Ft. Aincient, have strong ties to that land.

Found out last weekend when i was headed to sunwatch that my uncle helped with the escavating there back in the 70's
He passed young tho and i didnt know him.

Every 4th weekend usually there is a craft day at Ft. Aincient center. Typically just girls, but supplies are provided. If ever yah get a chance for a road trip neling ;)
Old 07-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
Eskimo wannabe

vBActivity Stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmajol View Post
YEah Cincinnati is built atop mounds
I meant the kids and the camp at Fort Ancient. I'm sure they would preserve it.

Quote:
I think Serpent mound will be ok, cuz alot of new agers are into that spot, with its "high energy vortex"
"high energy vortex"?

When I am there I talk to the snake. We have lovely conversations.

Quote:
Have you been to the rock store across the street from there?
No.

Quote:
Every 4th weekend usually there is a craft day at Ft. Aincient center. Typically just girls, but supplies are provided. If ever yah get a chance for a road trip neling ;)
I like Fort Ancient. I was there a couple of years ago. It is very close to my old stomping grounds. In fact, I'm coming back this weekend to visit my dad.

Last edited by neling4; 07-02-2009 at 02:39 PM..
Old 11-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

daniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond reputedaniel_bingamon has a reputation beyond repute
There has been some good news. Fort Ancient worked out a management partnership with Sunwatch. As as result, it's being kept in open and actually having extended operation in the Winter as well. The staff is working harder but their very happy with the new changes.
You can find out more on the new Fort Ancient Website at Fort Ancient Archaeological Park

This coming weekend (November 14th 2009), the Intertribal Learning circle is having a Thanksgiving gathering at Fort Ancient at noon till five.
Sponsored Links