PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Chit Chat (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/)
-   -   Getting my kicks on Route 66 (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/getting-my-kicks-route-66-a-62134/)

xTekno 01-13-2012 02:12 PM

Getting my kicks on Route 66

I have a son who has a cabin in the Chattahoochee National Forest of Northern Georgia. He is stationed there for the next three years or so, but he plans to transfer back to Germany or Italy by the end of 2015.

Since I have a touring motorcycle, I am making plans to start out at Williams, AZ on Route 66 and go east on I-40. Then stand on a corner in Winslow, AZ, before embarking on a several day tour of Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma.

From Oklahoma City, I will have to veer off on Interstate 40 and head into Arkansas and Tennesee. From Memphis, I will head southeast to Birmingham and Atlanta. There are many points of interests I wish to experience while in Northern GA while I'm in the area.

Those that live along this route can give me some ideas on what to visit and perhaps we can fit in a breakfast or lunch along the way. I have plenty of free night certificates for the Marriott and Radisson hotels so lodging will not be an issue.

yaahl 01-13-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno (Post 1509306)
I have a son who has a cabin in the Chattahoochee National Forest of Northern Georgia. He is stationed there for the next three years or so, but he plans to transfer back to Germany or Italy by the end of 2015.

Since I have a touring motorcycle, I am making plans to start out at Williams, AZ on Route 66 and go east on I-40. Then stand on a corner in Winslow, AZ, before embarking on a several day tour of Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma.

From Oklahoma City, I will have to veer off on Interstate 40 and head into Arkansas and Tennesee. From Memphis, I will head southeast to Birmingham and Atlanta. There are many points of interests I wish to experience while in Northern GA while I'm in the area.

Those that live along this route can give me some ideas on what to visit and perhaps we can fit in a breakfast or lunch along the way. I have plenty of free night certificates for the Marriott and Radisson hotels so lodging will not be an issue.

So...can we plan on a ride up the Al-Can in July? Bring your bug spray and ballistic eyewear...lol

pigheaded 01-13-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Then stand on a corner in Winslow, AZ,

:hysterica

That would be such a fine sight to see

LISA IRONMAKER 01-13-2012 02:36 PM

:motorcycl

2lineCarrandMorgan 01-13-2012 03:49 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5zuhxfrXocw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RDNKJ 01-13-2012 04:46 PM

I don't know if you're a museum person or not, or when you'll be taking your road trip, but in the Tulsa area:

Philbrook Art Museum, Tulsa
Besides their regular collections, from February 5 - April 15, 2012 will be exhibiting:

Black on Black & White - The Southwest of Laura Gilpin and Maria Martinez

Focusing, of course, on Gilpin's photography and Martinez' pottery.

I've always loved Philbrook - both the exhibits, as well as the preserved part of the villa and the back gardens. I took many an art class at Philbrook back in the day.

+++++++++++++++++++

Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa

Besides the regular collection of Western and Native American art..

December 4 - April 1

Peace Medals: Symbols of Influence and Prestige in North America

An exhibit of "peace medals" given to NDN tribes in the 18th and 19th Centuries.

February 2012 - April 29, 2012

Woody at 100: Woody Guthrie Centential Celebration

+++++++++++++++++

Sherwin Miller Museum of Jewish Art, Tulsa

They have a major collection of Judaica from around the world, as well as a Holocaust Museum section, and another section on the history of Jews in Oklahoma.

++++++++++++++++

Will Rogers Museum, Claremore

If ya have an interest in Will Rogers, it's worth checking out.

++++++++++++++++

If you're gonna be by Meers, OK, stop by the Meers Store and Restaurant. The best hamburgers in Oklahoma, and according to Bon Appetit, one of the best burgers in the country.

Josiah 01-13-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDNKJ (Post 1509341)
I don't know if you're a museum person or not, or when you'll be taking your road trip, but in the Tulsa area:

Besides their regular collections, from February 5 - April 15, 2012 will be exhibiting:

I've always loved Philbrook - both the exhibits, as well as the preserved part of the villa and the back gardens. I took many an art class at Philbrook back in the day.

+++++++++++++++++++

Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa

December 4 - April 1

An exhibit of "peace medals" given to NDN tribes in the 18th and 19th Centuries.

+++++++++++++++++

They have a major collection of Judaica from around the world, as well as a Holocaust Museum section, and another section on the history of Jews in Oklahoma.

++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++

If you're gonna be by Meers, OK, stop by the Meers Store and Restaurant. The best hamburgers in Oklahoma, and according to Bon Appetit, one of the best burgers in the country.

Tulsa is a bit off the Trail from OKC about 1 1/2 hours up I-44

Meers is Straight Down I-44 about 1 1/2 hours
LOL

So Stop in OKC and have the best damn Steak any where its Called Cattlemans and you cant go wrong its just off I40 at Agnew Ave go south about a mile. Try the T-bone now thats a Steak!!!

xTekno 01-13-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDNKJ (Post 1509341)

+++++++++++++++++++

Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa

December 4 - April 1

+++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++

@RDNKJ, awesome, I love museums!!

This one might be very interesting:

Certainly, food is going to be a very major part of this journey!!

Thank you!!

Chevy_truckin_NDN 01-13-2012 05:00 PM

Hey I'm on the way!!! lol. In Oklahoma that is, I live right off of I-40, close to Rt. 66, how interesting....is this an old thread? Did you just start this?

Ahh road trips, I sure do miss them from time to time! What an excellent way to meet. Keep us posted :)

xTekno 01-13-2012 05:01 PM

Due to obvious personal safety precautions, security matters and any unforeseen adverse human reactions to the planned route of this journey, I will not publicly announce when this trip will take place. The start and end points are Phoenix, AZ, to Dahlonega, GA, and back.

RDNKJ 01-13-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josiah (Post 1509342)
Tulsa is a bit off the Trail from OKC about 1 1/2 hours up I-44

Meers is Straight Down I-44 about 1 1/2 hours
LOL

So Stop in OKC and have the best damn Steak any where its Called Cattlemans and you cant go wrong its just off I40 at Agnew Ave go south about a mile. Try the T-bone now thats a Steak!!!

On a road trip cross-country, those are minor detours! :lol:

xTekno 01-13-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy_truckin_NDN (Post 1509345)
Hey I'm on the way!!! lol. In Oklahoma that is, I live right off of I-40, close to Rt. 66, how interesting....is this an old thread? Did you just start this?

Ahh road trips, I sure do miss them from time to time! What an excellent way to meet. Keep us posted :)

@Chevy_truckin_NDN, cool! I just put this out today!

My powwows.com PM box is full on purpose, but my email address is always available. When I do know the specific dates, I will contact you well ahead of time! It's not going to be this year for sure.

2lineCarrandMorgan 01-13-2012 05:06 PM

you got to stop in Austin but that's the long haul its a long way from any where in hrs

xTekno 01-13-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2lineCarrandMorgan (Post 1509349)
you got to stop in Austin but that's the long haul its a long way from any where in hrs

That could be an alternate return trip: Atlanta, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans, Baton Rougue, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, and back to Arizona.

I know I would have to travel lite with only the bare necessities. Staying on the major roads also guarantees Harley-Davidson dealerships along the way.

pigheaded 01-13-2012 05:16 PM

You aint gonna start by Hackberry? and sign your name in the guest book or hang out in the route 66 meditation garden?

And of course there is the Route 66 museum in Elk City, Oklahoma.

2lineCarrandMorgan 01-13-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno (Post 1509353)
That could be an alternate return trip: Atlanta, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans, Baton Rougue, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, and back to Arizona.

I know I would have to travel lite with only the bare necessities. Staying on the major roads also guarantees Harley-Davidson dealerships along the way.

http://www.cowboyharleyaustin.com/index.htm
http://www.goeharley-davidson.com/
if you made it to Austin i could invite you to a dinner with the Austin powwow commity at this place http://cheznousaustin.com/ it would need to be at noon on a Thursday that's when we have lunch together
lots of fun your going to have im happy for you and all the people you will meet on your travels and i think that you are doing something that lots of ppl have wanted to do and im glad that your not going over seas lots of ppl giving the chance will just go to Mexico for get away travel or like i said over seas
lol

xTekno 01-13-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigheaded (Post 1509355)
You aint gonna start by Hackberry? and sign your name in the guest book or hang out in the route 66 meditation garden?

And of course there is the Route 66 museum in Elk City, Oklahoma.

Good points!!

xTekno 01-13-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Please leave me more ideas:

@*Brown Eyed Gurl*, @2lineCarrandMorgan, @AmigoKumeyaay, @annie_griffin, @APACHEFIRE, @Blackbear, @BODEBEA BAY, @CandaePrincess, @Chevy_truckin_NDN, @comadre, @cris_neva, @DeafToniB, @Dezimber, @Dovie Shannon, @Eagle Plumes, @Grits & Beans, @Josiah, @Kakeeya, @lalive08, @leemillard, @lil_powwow_honey, @LISA IRONMAKER, @MCKiemle, @Migiziwomen , @muskrat_skull, @Ndnsoldierboy, @ndnsooner, @neling4, @NorthofAda, @nt_inuk, @OLChemist, @PeeDeeHawk, @pigheaded, @RDNKJ, @sneek a peek, @soopashinaab, @subeeds, @tgail2011, @Toolbox, @trouble, @Tsalagi_Phoenix, @wardancer, @windanncer, @wyo_rose, @yaahl

OLChemist 01-13-2012 07:25 PM

Argh! I just erased this.

@Ta'neeszahnii Techno there is Red Clay State Park in TN. It's right down by the GA/TN border. There is also New Echota Historic Site in GA.

Red Clay

New Echota

There is the National Ornamental Metal Museum in Memphis. It is worth a stop if your into blacksmithing and silver. May as well eat ribs at the Rendezvous while you're in town. There is the National Civil Right Museum, too

Metal Museum

Civil Right Museum

If you're taking side trips there is the US Rocket and Space Museum in Hunstville.

Rocket Museum

I'll have to think about Houston. I was a broke student which warped my idea of an attraction into that which is cheap and close to the lab, LOL.

OLChemist 01-13-2012 07:53 PM

In Houston:

Museum District -

The Museum of Fine Arts in Houston. They are having a ton of exhibits.

MFAH

The Menil Collection. They have the only two intact Byzantine frescos in the Western hemisphere. They also have a few really nice Northwest Coast pieces.

The Menil

Center for Contemporary Craft.

Craft Center

The Orange Show. Which is -- uh -- just weird. But if you're there, go look.

The Orange Show

While you're in that neck of the woods have lunch at Niko Niko's. It was a grad student favorite in my day. But last time I ate there, they had gone upscale. Go off hours or you won't be able to park.

Niko Nikos

Drive through the Rice University campus on your way back to the interstate. If you stop behind the Space Physics Building and look up at the third floor. You can see where buckyballs were discovered.

There is of course the Space Center.

Space Center