Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Getting my kicks on Route 66 Getting my kicks on Route 66

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #61
Crafter-Vendor

Items Treasure Chest
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
BODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond repute
BODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond reputeBODEBEA BAY has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,253.59
Savings: 682.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
I think the overpass mess is the High Five in Dallas. This is a 12 story high, 5 level stack interchange between the LBJ and the Central Expressway. In ice storms it also serves as an IQ test.

There are a few big ones in Houston too. Especially the new one between the West Loop South and the Southwest Freeway.

I have a theory that the folks on the eastern side of the state are trying to compensate for the lack of mountains and canyons with their highway system. You get these crazy high stack interchanges and long stretches of elevated roadway that no sane civil engineer would build anywhere that experiences frozen precipitation. And then they put highways down in trenches in a city that is barely above sea level and gets 54" of rain a year. Frequently in 5" increments as anyone who has seen the manhole covers on the storm drains downtown blown several feet in the air by flood waters or been rescued from the roof of their submerged car on the South Freeway south of Bras Bayou can attest.

I'm betting the huge steak is the 72 oz at the Big Texan in Amarillo. But it's only near the Mexican border if your frame of reference is Saskatchewan. j/k
I was very young when I lived in Almeda, Texas just on the outskirts of Houston. I remember us entering Texas from Arkansas. When I saw what we were about to go up and over on my belly twisted & my mind screamed NO! I was very happy to make it down. I couldn't see how anyone knew how to get anywhere in that mess. And STEEP! Leave it to Texas to make it bigger than life! lol Sorry to hear they decided to build another, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
TT won't be close enough to Fort Worth, TX to mess with the "MixMaster" freeway tangle. It is a survival test at times.

The Cattleman's Steak House in Fabens, TX just east of El Paso (near the border) is World Famous for the quality of beef, and ambiance, but way too far south of TT's route.

In OK City, there is a Cattleman's Steak House in the Stockyards district, TT might get close to that one.
If you can TT, it is major worth it. I will never forget my time in Texas. Those steaks are better than "Making Coffee" lmao!

~ Debsjewelry.net ~
BODEBEA BAY is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #62
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 44,531.36
Savings: 0.00
You can pan for gold around the Helen area.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #63
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,780.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Can you tell I've travelled with a friend who has a fascination with roadside weirdness? Thanks to her I've stayed in a motel in Holbrook shaped like a tipi, taken picture of people in front of oversized, frequently misshapen concrete animals, been to the International UFO Museum, actually darkened a door of Wall Drug, eaten in giant hotdogs, hamburgers and ice cream cones...
Sometimes those roadside weirdnesses are the highlights of the trip. Growing up, when we would plan vacations, we'd map out the route and see what kind of attractions were in the little towns along the way. Dad was never averse to detours - that's part of the fun!
RDNKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #64
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,780.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno View Post
When I said "ideas", I meant points of interests ... not situations where I might end up like the guy in the movie "misery" or the teenagers in "texas chainsaw massacre".
Then I guess you wouldn't be interested in www.texaschainsawtours.com
RDNKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #65
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 92,462.18
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNKJ View Post
Then I guess you wouldn't be interested in www.texaschainsawtours.com
Amazing!

I reckon most of my stops will be on route 66. Then boogie from I-40 at Memphis. I have a destination to get to, take care of business, tour for a couple of days and head back.

I-20 through Dallas-Forth Worth is beginning to look possible.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #66
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 92,462.18
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
@RDNKJ @subeeds @BODEBEA BAY @Eagle Plumes @AmigoKumeyaay @OLChemist @APACHEFIRE (tmi) @wyo_rose @comadre @NorthofAda @Josiah @Migiziwomen (love your avatar) @rodond @2lineCarrandMorgan @Ndnsoldierboy (thanks dude!) @Tsalagi_Phoenix (I have a friend riding up to Pennsylvania in June) @deziber @Sunktaki @pigheaded @Chevy_truckin_NDN (have to get your info) @LISA IRONMAKER @yaahl (highway 191)

So, I've been getting a lot of good information here and it's all good, THANK YOU!! I also am looking at a lot of other motorcycle enthusiast forums as well as my membership with HOGS. Next to all the best ideas you pointed out to me, I found that HOGS has an entire treasure of rides that riders have been on and they are very detailed even down the the time it takes to go from point a to z with all other points in between.

At this time, I know the cross-country trip won't happen this year, but definitely in 2013. I'm looking between June and the end of September for a period of two to three weeks. I have some of your email addresses so as soon as I know for sure, I will get the word out!

My Dark Knight is ready to go!!

Last edited by xTekno; 01-19-2012 at 04:16 PM..
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links