PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Chit Chat (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/)
-   -   Hair how should hair be worn at Pow Wows? > (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/hair-how-should-hair-worn-pow-wows-31881/)

Annie Fawn 02-18-2006 05:22 PM

Hair how should hair be worn at Pow Wows? >

Since the other 2 hair threads I posted seemed to bring people out I though I would do another one about how hair should be worn at pow wows.
When I was young I was taught that married women should wear their hair in a braid as should married men, while single women should wear 2 braids and the single men should wear theirs loose. Now do the poll and let me know if you think these rules should still apply.

drinkingfromysaucer2 02-18-2006 07:18 PM

in an ideal world....(somebody else finish the sentence)

bahnisiain 02-19-2006 04:37 PM

in an ideal world, hving some clue who was married and who was available. also i think its a regional thing as to single women with two braids and married with one.

Kiwehnzii 02-19-2006 08:31 PM

Who made thiese rules and who should enforce them? What should the penalty be for infractions? Fines? corporal punishment? imprisonment?

Many questions. Please answer these Annie.

WocusWoman 02-19-2006 08:43 PM

I've been married awhile; 17 years, and I've always worn two braids. Have I been advertising for trouble all these years or what? I've never heard it this way, guess it's a Georgia thing!

olddancer 02-19-2006 08:52 PM

Seems like everyone wears 2 married or single... I guess it's just the times...

LiLT206 02-19-2006 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olddancer
Seems like everyone wears 2 married or single... I guess it's just the times...

yeah thats what i think.....

sokoki_wolf 02-19-2006 10:25 PM

when i was married i wore it in 2 braids...now im single again i wear it loose lol i just wear it how i want

**jdazmum** 02-20-2006 01:52 AM

Hey Annie, never heard this before. Maybe it's an east coast thing, cuz here in the west coast, people were their hair anyway they want. You'll see women with multi-colored hair braided in six braids! it's crazy! I really am not fond of the spraypainted haircolor at powwows, but these days people make up their own rules. I see ladies with ponytails and some with their hair down, I don't know. I make my little one have two braids. If we are in a rush, it's a quick tie and two braids so it won't look bushy. I've seen people braid lightning into their hair...corn rolls.......I think the only people who wear the single braids or two braids are the older folks. I don't know Annie.

olddancer 02-20-2006 09:23 AM

Spraypainted hair?!?! its not supposed to be trick-or-treating!! how disrespectful

Kiwehnzii 02-20-2006 10:19 AM

My wife has a lot of explaining to do, dammit.

ndngirl70 02-20-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by **jdazmum**
Hey Annie, never heard this before. Maybe it's an east coast thing, cuz here in the west coast, people were their hair anyway they want.

It's not an east coast thing...at least not up north. And how I wear my hair depends on what I'm doing.

olddancer 02-20-2006 06:04 PM

maybe I'm just too old for some of the new stuff...like neon. I have not seen the spraypainted hair yet(i hope its not neon), we're kinda slow here in FL

Annie Fawn 02-21-2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
Who made thiese rules and who should enforce them? What should the penalty be for infractions? Fines? corporal punishment? imprisonment?

Many questions. Please answer these Annie.

I was just always taught that this was the way to do your hair at Pow Wows and at other Native functions. My mammaw taught me and it was how she was taught as a child in Alabama by her Choctaw mother. Since my mammaw was born in 1898 I would say the rules have been around a long time, don't know who made them.
It does make sense in being able to tell at pow wows who is availible and who isn't though.

Annie Fawn 02-21-2006 01:09 PM

Annie Fawn 02-21-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WocusWoman
I've been married awhile; 17 years, and I've always worn two braids. Have I been advertising for trouble all these years or what? I've never heard it this way, guess it's a Georgia thing!

I learned it in Alabama. I think it's fairly common in most Southern tribes though.

Annie Fawn 02-21-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by **jdazmum**
Hey Annie, never heard this before. Maybe it's an east coast thing, cuz here in the west coast, people were their hair anyway they want. You'll see women with multi-colored hair braided in six braids! it's crazy! I really am not fond of the spraypainted haircolor at powwows, but these days people make up their own rules. I see ladies with ponytails and some with their hair down, I don't know. I make my little one have two braids. If we are in a rush, it's a quick tie and two braids so it won't look bushy. I've seen people braid lightning into their hair...corn rolls.......I think the only people who wear the single braids or two braids are the older folks. I don't know Annie.

Spray painted hair? 6 braids? Cornrows? Thats just disrepectful! Sound more like they are going to Mardi Gras or a costume party than a pow wow!

Hinu Star 02-21-2006 02:55 PM

I was taught to wear my hair parted in the center with a single braid in the back. If the braid is long enough then we loop it up (connecting the bottom to the top) The way we wear our hair doesn't signify marital status--if we turn our applique skirts one way or our belt's fringe on a certain side it does though...

WhoMe 02-21-2006 05:31 PM

Anne,

I would wear a four-foot afro - if it would help me win a $1000 winner take all switch dance contest!

olddancer 02-21-2006 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie Fawn
Spray painted hair? 6 braids? Cornrows? Thats just disrepectful! Sound more like they are going to Mardi Gras or a costume party than a pow wow!

I agree, like I said earlier, we're not supposed to be trick-or-treating! VERY disrespectful :sad_smile