Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Have You Ever Been Asked This Have You Ever Been Asked This

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2003, 01:48 PM   #1
Riverwoman

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Question Have You Ever Been Asked This

Have you ever been asked this?

"Since when did you become an Indian?" This happened to me just yesterday, when I was at the post office sending out some letters. I said " Since the day I was born" And to top it off, it was the person that owned the damned place

That, and this happened a few years back.... I was performing at the Queens Jubilee here in town, (when I had my jingle dress) And I was asked by a woman ( white) if I was Pocohontas! "I said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" And she said " I thought you where one of those CARACTORS" over there ( pointing to the McDonalds Mascots) :Yell

Arghhhhhhhhhh!
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2003, 01:59 PM   #2
WE ARE MAGNUS THE AMPLE

The Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 737.76
Savings: 0.00
YES IT HAS.

It happened to me at a powwow in Virginia, and I went absolutely ape****.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:32 PM   #3
Junior Dancer

musicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Nahh, I never been asked that but here's a good one....
Where I work we have to keep our hair up over our collar (military style) so mine is always in a braid and put up. Once I had to take it down to re-do it. A male co-worker was watching me and said, "With your hair down you look just like an Indian." I looked back at him and answered "Wow! Really? No $#!t?"
What an idiot! :Chatter
musicwielder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2003, 08:26 PM   #4
~*I wanna pow-wow*~

lakotajingledancer is on a distinguished road
haha ha

ive never been asked that ? about me being pocahontas,but the 1 about "since when did u become an ndn?"i've been asked that,i said the same.
ive also been asked by a white woman "who was my great great grama?then she said b4 i could ask her why she wanted 2 know she was like "i bet it was pocahontas"
i was so mad,i walked off & she tried 2 talk 2 me later & i didnt talk 2 her then either!
that makes me soooooo mad!!!!!
lakotajingledancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2003, 10:12 PM   #5
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
No, never been asked that. I have had old friends give me that "Oh I see," look like they are trying to process what was just said. They usually come back with, "you always were different," or "I knew you wasn't all Black."
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2003, 12:19 AM   #6
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally posted by Homalosa
No, never been asked that. I have had old friends give me that "Oh I see," look like they are trying to process what was just said. They usually come back with, "you always were different," or "I knew you wasn't all Black."
Doncha hate that? How bout the "You don't act like normal Black people" or maybe the I didn't know you were Black (the folks seeing you for the first time).
Old 09-28-2003, 06:58 PM   #7
NDNBUNZ

Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
Everytime my lil guy sees Pocahantas he'll point and say "That's MY mommy!". All the kids will try and talk sense into him, but he'll just end up socking them in the belly and then they'll say "That's (my son's name here) mommy!".
Old 09-28-2003, 09:21 PM   #8
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
Quote:
Originally posted by Singing Otter
Doncha hate that? How bout the "You don't act like normal Black people" or maybe the I didn't know you were Black (the folks seeing you for the first time).

Yeah, being that I'm bilingual if they hear me speak Spanish then I'll get the "I didn't know you were black" business too. How ignorant can folks be? What, they think the sugar in Cuba harvested itself? The coffee beans just picked themselves? No, black folks couldn't have been slaves, no. All Cubans look just like Desi Arnaz. Celia Cruz was an accident, right?

stupid huh?
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2003, 12:27 AM   #9
T.K.O.

saukpuppet has a reputation beyond repute
saukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 90.00
Re: Have You Ever Been Asked This

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tahemet
[B]Have you ever been asked this?

So, when did you? lol just joking girl.....never was ask that thou
Old 09-29-2003, 01:35 AM   #10
Junior Dancer

sonny453 is a jewel in the rough
question????

no i have never been asked that, but if anybody ever asked me i'd bend over and moon them with my big red arse....
sonny453 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2003, 03:46 AM   #11
Junior Dancer

Babe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 633.00
When I first went on dance shows when I was younger, people used to ask me if we still lived in teepees, hunted buffalo, and if we danced and dressed like that everyday. I'm talking about old and middle-aged white people you'd think should have a little sense than to ask dumb questions like that! After awhile I started making up stories just to hear what they'd say next!:p
Babe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2003, 08:10 AM   #12
Flat E!

Emmy has a reputation beyond repute
Emmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,133.61
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Singing Otter
yeah i get that alot... my old roomates mom came in to our room while i was gettin my stuff ready 4 a powwow or i was paintin or somethin... and she goes... ur part ndn arent u... i knew when i saw u...
i was incredulous...all i could do was sit on my bed and stare at her

~Flat Beat~
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2003, 08:21 AM   #13
Goretex Designz

Messiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond reputeMessiah Knight has a reputation beyond repute
I usually get this one, which is really popular for me, I get it everywhere I go and talk.

"Why are you acting black" or the ever popular "You wanna be black huh?"

My question is, how the heck do you act black? Honestly? Is there a certian way that this one race acts that is so different from everyone else?

See, I rap, which is pretty much a black thing, however, you never here me rap about the typical stuff that is in a rap song, I will never talk about Driveby shootings, 40 ounces, or any of that, thats just not my style. I ask you how many black people you see who call themselves "Messiah", and rap about wrestling a grizzly bear? :Mad

Goretex Designz
Messiah Knight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2003, 12:35 PM   #14
Junior Dancer

shshonegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Jibby
Everytime my lil guy sees Pocahantas he'll point and say "That's MY mommy!". All the kids will try and talk sense into him, but he'll just end up socking them in the belly and then they'll say "That's (my son's name here) mommy!".
once i was in idaho at the walmart, i was standing in line at the checkout and there was this little white girl and her mom behind me. this little girl pointed at me and said, look mom its pocahontas. i just looked at them like..whatver....and then her mom goes, no honey, pocahontas is just a cartoon, shes not real. but this nice lady sure does look like her, doesnt she??

damn...that was too funny!!! freakin white people!!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 01:43 PM   #15
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
Heck I was down in Florida a few years back and got Do You still live in Igloos? Must be hard to heat them, do they melt on you..

For x sake woman we have temperatures just as high as florida in Canada!

That really got me,, and then do they still scalp tourist, that's why we don't go to your country.

Go figure dimwits are everywhere!!!!!!!!!!

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2003, 01:52 PM   #16
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Went to a pow wow one time and I could not believe it. There were white people galore dancing and everything. I put on my jingle dress and danced and I felt like a real token Indian. :(
I actually felt like I was on display there.
White people taking all kinds of picture of me and stuff. *errrrr*
And then came the questions. omg I could not believe the stuff they were asking. Dang! Like *duuuh* you white folks are pitiful *LOL* :p

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2003, 01:57 PM   #17
Senior Dancer

redbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond reputeredbear has a reputation beyond repute
Well since my dad is mostly white, I usually get the, "Oh check it out, the milk man must have raided the teepee"

And my mom gets this one, "Look! A real live indian!" (as opposed to ??? a real dead one?)

Idiots!! :Mad

"I can only show you the door, you have to open it."
redbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2003, 02:12 PM   #18
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
Recorded in front of a live audience,,,,

Have you ever seen a recording done in front of a group of stiffs in a morgue? That is a saying that gets me going.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2003, 02:28 PM   #19
*~*~ Is Tha Prototype*~*~

Crow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond repute
Crow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 222.99
well naw when i go to like seattle or portland peeps always thinkin im mexican? im all like naw sorry im native ;)
Old 09-29-2003, 04:13 PM   #20
DON'T LOOK DOWN

Pony has a reputation beyond repute
Pony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yeah, being that I'm bilingual if they hear me speak Spanish then I'll get the "I didn't know you were black" business too. How ignorant can folks be? What, they think the sugar in Cuba harvested itself? The coffee beans just picked themselves? No, black folks couldn't have been slaves, no. All Cubans look just like Desi Arnaz. Celia Cruz was an accident, right?

stupid huh?
I hear ya..My boyfriend is Puerto Rican and his cousin, also Puerto Rican is black. People don't seem to get it that there are actually black Puerto Ricans...They think they all look like Ricky Martin.