PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Chit Chat (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/)
-   -   How'd YOU get YOUR Indian Name???? (http://forums.powwows.com/f34/how-d-you-get-your-indian-name-27564/)

little bird 06-23-2005 09:58 PM

How'd YOU get YOUR Indian Name????

I got my name Little Bird when I was 18 months old. I was born only 3 lbs. and ate very little at a time, so they named me "Little Bird". :stork-gir

~pathwalker~ 06-23-2005 10:06 PM

I bought it from a vendor at a pow wow.

ndnmama80 06-23-2005 10:07 PM

I was named probably around the same age as you were. I was named after my grandmother's aunt, Gish-mo-quah - Sunset Woman.

White Powwow Dancer 06-23-2005 10:21 PM

I'll take the 5th here

bahnisiain 06-23-2005 10:50 PM

i had gotten Ridgewalker from my cousins when i was young.

Mato Winyan 06-24-2005 02:22 AM

Quote:

How'd YOU get YOUR Indian Name????
Which name you talking about?? Buffalo Butt or Thunder Thighs? :razz:

Blackbear 06-24-2005 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little bird
I got my name Little Bird when I was 18 months old. I was born only 3 lbs. and ate very little at a time, so they named me "Little Bird". :stork-gir

I used to call my daughter that when she was newborn because she'd want to feed and her mouth would be wide open searching for food and her head going back and forth.. looked like a baby bird when mamma bird comes to feed. She quickly grew out of that nickname though and tatertot and boogerbutt are still sticking with her LOL!

I have no indian name .... yet.

Ndnsoldierboy 06-24-2005 05:44 AM

My name was from a hippie who taught old Ndn tricks ...:lol:

tradish_wiyan 06-24-2005 11:15 AM

Walking Eagle...too full of "cheshni" to fly :smiley_on

Singing Otter 06-24-2005 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ndnsoldierboy
My name was from a hippie who taught old Ndn tricks ...:lol:

lolol it's time to soak the contact lenses for real! I thought that said from an old hippie that use to turn tricks! :lol: woooow. hahahhahaha

ashlalee_tsoh 06-24-2005 12:05 PM

Shi Ma Son gave it to me. I don't think I was more than a few hours old. She said that she gave it to me when she first held me, whenever that was. My name is "Comes with Joy". It's funny, all of the grandkids that are close to Shi Ma Son, their native name is something that starts with "comes with. . .". Crazy, huh?

WhoMe 06-24-2005 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~pathwalker~
I bought it from a vendor at a pow wow.

Then we must have been to the same vendor? *L

__

It's amazing.

Some tribes have elaborate ceremonies when someone is given a name.

Some tribes give a childhood name. Then later in life an adult name. With these acknowledgements, many gifts are given away and a song is composed.

yet. . . .

Some people just pick their own Indian sounding name and ...

"WHOOP ... there it is!"

oneida_huny 06-24-2005 02:00 PM

my grandmother gave me my name when i was a baby. Kah^ti:yosta ( ga-hun-dee-yost) and it means She Keep Her Garden Well.

buckskin pantyhose 06-24-2005 02:14 PM

I think my clan uncles stood around playing ROCK, PAPER, SCISSOR until the winner of best of three did the honors & named me Buckskin Pantyhose....that is until NDNQT renamed me "BUCKIN PANTYHOSE"....now that's a goot one! ;)

if you have any questions regarding wether "buckskin pantyhose" is really my ndn name please feel free to go to hell.....hahahahaha....jks!

azshinob 06-24-2005 03:24 PM

I haven't got my adult name yet, so i guess i still have to go by my kid name (smiles like sunshine). I was given the name by a neighbor (chimook/white) I'm still wondering if it is valid?. I do know of a few things, that will make me smile like sunshine!.

WhoMe 06-24-2005 03:41 PM

Everybodys got a story on how they got their Indian name...

I was always in trouble (still am) and would hear, "Dammit! Get over here. You're really in BIG trouble this time!!!"

Then I would reply in my angelic voice....

"WhoMe?"

bushy_braids 06-24-2005 04:57 PM

they say that my crow arrogance (which we're known for) has gassed my head too big that i just can't tame my bushy braids - HAHAHA! good one....

i beg to differ :)

eyesrbrown4areason 06-24-2005 05:25 PM

paid a cherokee medicine man in a purple hat $25 at a powwow

little bird 06-24-2005 05:44 PM

You all are sooo funny!!!!

I didn't know when I started this, I'd be laughing my head off!!! :lol: :hysterica :hb:You all are really nice and I like your stories! :638:Little Bird

~pathwalker~ 06-25-2005 07:31 AM

Hi LB, The wolf is the pathfinder. I am just that pathwalker. LMAO!