Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat How white is your native world? How white is your native world?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #201
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Cherie is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
This thing keeps growing and we'll have a best seller. LOL

I wonder if we get points and reputation for this.
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2006, 12:51 AM   #202
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie
This thing keeps growing and we'll have a best seller. LOL

I wonder if we get points and reputation for this.
soveniers available in the gift shop

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2006, 12:53 AM   #203
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hywalker
oh i could have gone on and on lmao but my fingers gave out

actually i'm just hoping to keep kiwe amused and coming back and helping us make the next page (j/k )
lmao soon to be a mini series

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #204
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
these next few post are exactly what we are talking about!!!
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #205
Beadworker

yay page 15

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #206
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
these next few articles are not about religion and thats what this post is not about..... again we are agianst fakes frauds .....that cherokay website is not real it was a joke........
Old 02-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #207
Banned

From the Magazine | Essay 1-6-2206
When the Story Stolen Is Your Own
It was hailed as a great Native American memoir, but this writer smelled a fake
By SHERMAN ALEXIE
SUBSCRIBE TO TIMEPRINTE-MAILMORE BY AUTHOR
Posted Sunday, Jan. 29, 2006
In 1999 a Native American writer, born fragile and poor on a destitute Indian reservation, published an essay, "The Blood Runs like a River Through My Dreams," in Esquire. It earned a National Magazine Award nomination and was later expanded into a memoir of the same title that became a finalist for a PEN/Martha Albrand Award. That rez-to-riches tale of courage and redemption sounds like a Horatio Alger story, doesn't it? It should be a movie. Or at least an episode of A&E's Biography. Of course, I'm biased, because, well, it's my story. Kind of.

I did not write "The Blood Runs like a River Through My Dreams." But raised fragile and poor on the destitute Spokane Indian Reservation in Washington State, I published a story, This Is What It Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona, in Esquire in 1993. My story, which features an autobiographical character named Thomas Builds-the-Fire who suffers a brain injury at birth and experiences visionary seizures into his adulthood, was a finalist for a National Magazine Award and the basis for the film Smoke Signals, which won the Audience Award at Sundance in 1998.

Nasdijj, the one-name author of The Blood Runs like a River Through My Dreams, claimed to be the son of a Navajo mother and a white father. His memoir features a child named Tommy Nothing Fancy who suffers from and dies of a seizure disorder. Quite the coincidence, don't you think?

Of course, after reading Nasdijj's essay and book, I suspected that he was a literary thief and a liar. As a Native American writer and multiculturalist, I worried that Nasdijj was a talented and angry white man who was writing as a Native American in order to mock multicultural literature. I imagined that he would eventually reveal himself as a hoaxer and shout, "You see, people, there is nothing real or authentic about multicultural literature. Anybody can write it."

Angry, competitive, saddened, self-righteous and more than a little jealous that this guy was stealing some of my autobiographical thunder, I approached Nasdijj's publishers and told them his book not only was borderline plagiarism but also failed to mention specific tribal members, clans, ceremonies and locations, all of which are vital to the concept of Indian identity. They took me seriously, but they didn't believe me.

And how do I feel now that the author of an investigative story in L.A. Weekly believes that Nasdijj is a fraud and actually a white writer named Timothy Barrus? Vindicated? Well, sure. I dream of leaving "I told you so" messages on many voice mails, although unlike James Frey's publisher, who initially supported his lies and moral evasions about his exaggerated memoir, A Million Little Pieces, Nasdijj's publisher dropped him because of personality conflicts even before the L.A. Weekly story came out. Of course, Frey has sold millions of books and will probably sell a few million more. Nasdijj hasn't sold millions of books, and he will probably fade into obscurity. In response to the L.A. Weekly story, Nasdijj posted a rambling statement on his blog saying that people should pay attention to "real scandals" like poverty.

So why should we be concerned about his lies? His lies matter because he has cynically co-opted as a literary style the very real suffering endured by generations of very real Indians because of very real injustices caused by very real American aggression that destroyed very real tribes. He isn't the first to do it. In 1991 the American Booksellers Association gave its book-of-the-year award to Forrest Carter's Cherokee-themed memoir, The Education of Little Tree, despite the documented fact that Carter was really Asa Carter, a rabid segregationist and the author of George Wallace's infamous war cry, "Segregation today! Segregation tomorrow! Segregation forever!"

I can only hope that Nasdijj's readers will look to Oprah for inspiration. After initially defending the essential truth of Frey's memoir, a selection for her book club, Oprah changed her mind, admitted that she had been duped, invited Frey back onto her show and called him a liar. When was the last time a public figure like Oprah admitted to being wrong? When was the last time a powerful person like Oprah issued a genuine public apology? I think all the people who profited from Nasdijj's fraud should take heed of that lesson and issue public apologies to Native Americans in general and to Navajo in particular. And I hope we won't be waiting for that apology as long as the rivers flow, the grasses grow and the winds blow.

-- Sherman Alexie, a member of the Spokane tribe, is the author of 17 books, including Ten Little Indians, his latest

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...4221-2,00.html

there was another article Blackbear posted in this post and suggest to read that article too
Old 02-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #208
Beadworker

thank you KK for posting the article

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #209
Beadworker

thats a very informative article i hope everyone reads it

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #210
Kiowakat's #1 fan

hywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scale
good example in that article, and the one blackbear posted is excellent in examples also. In the article blackbear posted the "decleration of war referred to at the bottom is now costing us 3 native museums due to the gov. having redirect funding that went to the museums, to go towards funding the war against "non-Indian 'wanna-bes,' hucksters, cultists, commercial profiteers, and self-styled New Age shamans."
so yes, unchecked these innocent claims too many times end up costing us a great deal.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #211
Beadworker

Quote:
good example in that article, and the one blackbear posted is excellent in examples also. In the article blackbear posted the "decleration of war referred to at the bottom is now costing us 3 native museums due to the gov. having redirect funding that went to the museums, to go towards funding the war against "non-Indian 'wanna-bes,' hucksters, cultists, commercial profiteers, and self-styled New Age shamans."
so yes, unchecked these innocent claims too many times end up costing us a great deal.
perfectly said...thank you

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #212
Kiowakat's #1 fan

hywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scale
wow 15 pages lol, I just wanna step down from my soapbox for a sec. and thank everyone who has given a few minutes of their time to read this thread and give me your honest opinion whether for or against the issue('s). Each reply i have read with an open mind and feel i learn from each opinion. Maybe thru threads like these we can come to an understanding and dare i hope, a solution.
ps- yes i include the replys that think its a stupid thread even. every reply helps show how this subject is treated in our lives. which might i add so does no reply

Last edited by hywalker; 02-05-2006 at 10:49 AM..
hywalker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #213
Kiowakat's #1 fan

dang it, so used to standing on this soapbox i think i slipped back on to it in that last post lmao
Old 02-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #214
Junior Dancer

chickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoki_wolf
heres the link again CD please go read it and you will se exactly what we're talking about...and this is just one of many.. http://geocities.com/westerncherakeynam2/
I just looked at the Cherakey site. Please forgive me. It blew my mind so much I don't know how to reply. Just look for the true path and follow your heart. I guess the only good part is that the site hasn't been updated since 2002 so maybe people realize it's stupid and are not buying it. Maybe give them the old witches test and put them in a tub of water and see if they float.

Last edited by chickendad; 02-05-2006 at 02:02 PM..
chickendad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #215
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
LOL Chickendad... are you skimming over posts? It's a joke site hon... don't let it blow your mind, just sit back and laugh and enjoy! We all know it's close to the truth about some of those groups and that's why it's so funny!

you know I"ve said this before but I make a little side crafting money by making and selling dreamcatchers. I sell them at the store I used work at and I used to sell them every year at state fair. I make them very pretty and make them for looks more than anything cause it does'nt really matter what materials you use as long as you got a bead and a feather on the thing so they can do their job right?

So anyhow I've got a booth full of brightly colored pretty dreamcatchers and this tall blonde lady comes in and is looking them over in disdain. I'm like... is there something wrong? And she tells me this whole long speech about how all dreamcatchers are supposed to have 13 points around the web... I'm like what? I've never heard that! And she's like, and they have to be made of all natural materials.. no plastic no comercial dyes and such... and I'm like.. Who made up THESE rules? And finally she tells me... When I make mine, I use real stones because I want them to heal not just take away bad dreams... at this point I got indiandignant on her.. and said.. yeah, well lady, mine are made by a real native! Stones... C"MON!!!!! When I use "real stones" in mine is cause they go with the color scheme and look nice!!!

But you all have probably heard all these certain non existing rules to powwowing from these guys... well they have all these non existing rules to our crafts as well!!
Old 02-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #216
Beadworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
LOL Chickendad... are you skimming over posts? It's a joke site hon... don't let it blow your mind, just sit back and laugh and enjoy! We all know it's close to the truth about some of those groups and that's why it's so funny!

you know I"ve said this before but I make a little side crafting money by making and selling dreamcatchers. I sell them at the store I used work at and I used to sell them every year at state fair. I make them very pretty and make them for looks more than anything cause it does'nt really matter what materials you use as long as you got a bead and a feather on the thing so they can do their job right?

So anyhow I've got a booth full of brightly colored pretty dreamcatchers and this tall blonde lady comes in and is looking them over in disdain. I'm like... is there something wrong? And she tells me this whole long speech about how all dreamcatchers are supposed to have 13 points around the web... I'm like what? I've never heard that! And she's like, and they have to be made of all natural materials.. no plastic no comercial dyes and such... and I'm like.. Who made up THESE rules? And finally she tells me... When I make mine, I use real stones because I want them to heal not just take away bad dreams... at this point I got indiandignant on her.. and said.. yeah, well lady, mine are made by a real native! Stones... C"MON!!!!! When I use "real stones" in mine is cause they go with the color scheme and look nice!!!

But you all have probably heard all these certain non existing rules to powwowing from these guys... well they have all these non existing rules to our crafts as well!!
*call the Dreamcatcher Police*

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #217
Teen Dancer

marie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Thank-you, it is the way i have felt. I am First Nations and am still learning about native ways of life. Still need to learn more so badly. I have a neive who does dream catchers for her mom`s flea market and they are in demand. She taught me how to make them and there are all kinda of ways I`ve seen made. They are all beautiful. My step-daughter gave me one for Christmas two years ago. She is non-native, but has worked for the Native center and traveled nation wide for the Youths. She was the rep for two years. She makes dream catchers also. Sorry to say she knows more about Native things than I. She has been with me for thirteen years.

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-05-2006 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: i was not finished with it yet.
marie_popcan@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #218
powwow bum

ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,659.73
Quote:
I would not condemn such people if they, as i keep reading in this thread, wanted to learn and follow the "native ways". But they want to lead and be the authority in the area.
We have those people all over New England. They appear on summer and the next they are "chiefs" or "medicine men/woman"

Instant Indian....just add water!
ndngirl70 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #219
Beadworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndngirl70
We have those people all over New England. They appear on summer and the next they are "chiefs" or "medicine men/woman"

Instant Indian....just add water!
and princesses,cant forget them ... are the instant ndn's microwaveable?

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #220
powwow bum

ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,659.73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoki_wolf
and princesses,cant forget them ... are the instant ndn's microwaveable?
Yeah...and they taste like chicken!
ndngirl70 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links