Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat How white is your native world? How white is your native world?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #221
Beadworker

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndngirl70
Yeah...and they taste like chicken!
wannabee nuggets? one order you definately dont want super sized

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #222
Kiowakat's #1 fan

hywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scale
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Yeah...and they taste like chicken!
i've heard they taste like chicken too, but with an underlying taste of powdered eggs lol
Old 02-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #223
Kiowakat's #1 fan

hywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
LOL Chickendad... are you skimming over posts? It's a joke site hon... don't let it blow your mind, just sit back and laugh and enjoy! We all know it's close to the truth about some of those groups and that's why it's so funny!

you know I"ve said this before but I make a little side crafting money by making and selling dreamcatchers. I sell them at the store I used work at and I used to sell them every year at state fair. I make them very pretty and make them for looks more than anything cause it does'nt really matter what materials you use as long as you got a bead and a feather on the thing so they can do their job right?

So anyhow I've got a booth full of brightly colored pretty dreamcatchers and this tall blonde lady comes in and is looking them over in disdain. I'm like... is there something wrong? And she tells me this whole long speech about how all dreamcatchers are supposed to have 13 points around the web... I'm like what? I've never heard that! And she's like, and they have to be made of all natural materials.. no plastic no comercial dyes and such... and I'm like.. Who made up THESE rules? And finally she tells me... When I make mine, I use real stones because I want them to heal not just take away bad dreams... at this point I got indiandignant on her.. and said.. yeah, well lady, mine are made by a real native! Stones... C"MON!!!!! When I use "real stones" in mine is cause they go with the color scheme and look nice!!!

But you all have probably heard all these certain non existing rules to powwowing from these guys... well they have all these non existing rules to our crafts as well!!
this is a perfect example (ty). We have many like that , that want to come up and tell my wife about the craftwork she is doing, or start reading her the feather laws lmao. which, now u find out what my job with her is, to walk the crazier ones off to the side away from the front of her booth and discuss native america with them till they go away (we do try to be polite lol)
Old 02-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #224
naddawannabe

Hwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond repute
Hwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,023.89
Wow! What a thread! Without typing my autobiography (again), I always worry about being seen as a wannabe or a tourist. I've spent a lot of time learning about native (mainly Navajo) culture and language. Why? Good question. I've wondered that many times. I guess it's because I just love it. I'm not on some 'spiritual quest'. I don't want to be native. I can't be. I wasn't born native. My first 'native' experience was a visit to the Hopi rez back in 1990. I remember talking with an elder and him explaining why they don't allow pictures to be taken. They want you to take what you experience into your mind, heart, and soul (actually, he just pointed to his chest). That's been my approach to everything native I experience. I try to listen and watch as much as I can. Classes, talks, pow wows, anything. After 4 1/2 years, I've learned quite a bit. Relatively speaking, I still don't know jack. To non-natives, I'm almost a college professor. Sad. I enjoy sharing whatever knowledge I can with anyone who I can share it with. If I'm not sure, I'll either say so or I won't say anything. Some people think it's not a non-native's place to be learning the language or the culture. I think it's good that there's at least one more person who has some knowledge of these things to help keep it alive. Not save it, just contribute. It's hard sometimes because you know people will judge the book by the cover and you can't help that. It is what's in your heart. Nobody's gonna know that until they talk to you.
Hwii Siziinii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2006, 07:42 PM   #225
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwii Siziinii
Wow! What a thread! Without typing my autobiography (again), I always worry about being seen as a wannabe or a tourist. I've spent a lot of time learning about native (mainly Navajo) culture and language. Why? Good question. I've wondered that many times. I guess it's because I just love it.
Hey I can understand that. I love learning about Japanese culture.. all aspects of it. I like to hear the language, love the traditional and pop culture clothes, music, the artwork.. and I don't want to be japanese. I don't even feel a huge desire to hang out with japanese people or feel a connection to them (mentallly or spritually..but a little bit maybe artistically). And I've known lots of others like you fortunately.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #226
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
Hey I can understand that. I love learning about Japanese culture.. all aspects of it. I like to hear the language, love the traditional and pop culture clothes, music, the artwork.. and I don't want to be japanese. I don't even feel a huge desire to hang out with japanese people or feel a connection to them (mentallly or spritually..but a little bit maybe artistically). And I've known lots of others like you fortunately.
too bad theres not more like him huh?

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #227
naddawannabe

Hwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond repute
Hwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond reputeHwii Siziinii has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, that's very nice of you. See, I like being around natives. For one, humor's always been very important to me. I've spent a lot of time laughing with natives. Sometimes it's at me but, hey, somebody's got to be the set up man!
Old 02-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #228
Kiowakat's #1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwii Siziinii
Wow! What a thread! Without typing my autobiography (again), I always worry about being seen as a wannabe or a tourist. I've spent a lot of time learning about native (mainly Navajo) culture and language. Why? Good question. I've wondered that many times. I guess it's because I just love it.......
I can relate to much of what you say here. Many see me as another wannabe that happened to snag a ndn girl. I have lived with the looks, the outright question "what are u, somekinda wannabe?", I have found myself at powwows being 1 of maybe 2 white folks there, and have heard the jokes (although they are polite and use the kiowa word for white boy, just wish my mother-in-law hadnt already taught me the word lmao). I cant say it didnt used to get under my skin, due to the fact that i was suffering racial hatred of the same nature that they had suffered and hadn't liked either. But, if you really love what you have been studying and not in it just to become a scholar of native culture, then its worth getting through the steryotyping.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #229
Kiowakat's #1 fan

doin the page 16 dance
Old 02-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #230
Kiowakat's #1 fan

funny, in an ironic sort of way. yrs ago a group of us were headed to alaska for a 3 month mountain climbing excursion. passing so close to pine ridge we decided to make it part of the journey (none of us had ever seen a rez b4) we make it to a road leading into the rez when we were met by 4 trucks full of men with rifles telling us to keep our bus of white folk moving right on our journey and best not to stop, later found out that group had the name of goon squad. With no understanding of anything besides those rifles we went on to alaska actually forgetting the whole incident. the time of this trip? june 1976 and never found out what had happened only days later till about 15 yrs ago. that is about my extent of native knowledge till the kiowakat era lol.

Last edited by hywalker; 02-06-2006 at 08:50 PM..
hywalker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #231
naddawannabe

I agree with that too (post #228). I can't carry a conversation in Navajo but I know enough to get that shocked look on people's faces! And usually, it's that first word or phrase that breaks the ice. Many times, once they've seen you've made the effort to learn at least some of the language, the barrier comes down. Not always, but a lot. And it is a lot more than just eating mutton and pointing with your lips!

Last edited by Hwii Siziinii; 02-06-2006 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: I wrote my reply too slow!
Old 02-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #232
Beadworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hywalker
doin the page 16 dance
lmao wanna go for 26?

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #233
Teen Dancer

marie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoki_wolf
perfectly said...thank you
I just read about the three musuems. It hard when the government is still taking from First Nations people. The "if only`s" are long winded.
marie_popcan@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #234
Teen Dancer

marie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
We have those people all over New England. They appear on summer and the next they are "chiefs" or "medicine men/woman"

Instant Indian....just add water!
I cannot be in lead or authority in anything. I am to shy to do a whole lot. Just started to learn on my daughter`s computer and finding chat groups and able to say afew words. I am First Nations from B.C. Right now I am trying to learn how to build my family tree. I can only go as far as my great granparents` parents so far.
marie_popcan@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #235
Kiowakat's #1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie_popcan@hotmail
I just read about the three musuems. It hard when the government is still taking from First Nations people. The "if only`s" are long winded.
the museums arent gone yet. people can still write their congressman & senators to help oklahoma's and south dakota's congressmen & senators in their battle to keep the museums open. theres also petitions the museums themselves have to be signed. The gov. always gets their way but sometimes they throw us a bone if there's enough public outcry against such actions. lets hope we can still save these and others in the future. But it will take action to succeed.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:05 PM   #236
Kiowakat's #1 fan

Quote:
lmao wanna go for 26?
26? sure thats a good next goal lol
Old 02-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #237
Beadworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie_popcan@hotmail
I cannot be in lead or authority in anything. I am to shy to do a whole lot. Just started to learn on my daughter`s computer and finding chat groups and able to say afew words. I am First Nations from B.C. Right now I am trying to learn how to build my family tree. I can only go as far as my great granparents` parents so far.
i live right below you in washington*waves up north*

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #238
Beadworker

Quote:
the museums arent gone yet. people can still write their congressman & senators to help oklahoma's and south dakota's congressmen & senators in their battle to keep the museums open. theres also petitions the museums themselves have to be signed. The gov. always gets their way but sometimes they throw us a bone if there's enough public outcry against such actions. lets hope we can still save these and others in the future. But it will take action to succeed.
didnt that village find its idiot yet?

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-06-2006, 11:23 PM   #239
Kiowakat's #1 fan

Quote:
didnt that village find its idiot yet?
yup they found him, but he wont go home. even an idiot knows when he's living high on the hog lmao
Old 02-06-2006, 11:52 PM   #240
Beadworker

Quote:
yup they found him, but he wont go home. even an idiot knows when he's living high on the hog lmao
lol so iffin we kill the hog he'll go back to his village?

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Sponsored Links