Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat let's talk bout some rez cooken!!! let's talk bout some rez cooken!!!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #61
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJo View Post
When I was a kid we used to have fried weine's and beans. Then go to the community center and watch a movie for 25cents. That was our saturday treat.

I loved commode cheese. I'm sure it was probably the worst kind of cheese ever, but it sure did taste good. We made lots of noodle casseroles to get by on.

I didn't like the powdered milk, tho!! YUCK!! But I did get a recipe for hot chocolate one year and made everyone a jar of hot chocolate mix with that powdered milk that year for Christmas gifts.

Also, my grandma would make wild onions and scramble eggs in it. And sometimes she would pick some Poke Salad and boil it several times and drain the water off each time until she'd washed the poison out of it, and then would cut up some bacon in it and serve it with her homemade biscuts. That was fairly good....not the greatest, but okay.
never had any poke salad. it was okay huh? lol. always a favorite is the fried dogs and beans. mmmmm

dang nancy been a bit of time since i seen you. was wondering how you are doing?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #62
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
Mmm..beanie weenie! Or Chili Beanie Weenie!!

I think I'll have that for lunch.

For outings, like branding cows or ice skating, I would boil a mess of hot dogs in chil and take the whole pot along with me. Fed a LOT of people with either chili, a hot dog, or chili dog...most of the time out a styrofoam cup.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #63
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
Hey Migiziwomen, I've been around, guess I just been quiet. We've been moving for the past 3 weeks, so kind of been busy packing and unpacking.
So how you been doing?
Nah, I really didn't like the poke salad.....kind of looked like cooked spinach, but when that's all my Mammaw fixed dinner, you had to eat something. Mostly we'd try to just get away with eating biscuts and butter......but she'd always coaxing us into eating a little bit of it. My brother used to just eat the bacon out of it and say he was full. LOL
The adults seemed to like it. Everytime we go down to where her house is I see that poke salad growing along side the road....I can see Mamaw out there cutting some of that poke salad down. Whew, so glad we don't have to eat it anymore. LOL
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #64

Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
LOL i bet. i know i do not miss the mystery meat that came out of the woods. oh goodness...
Old 02-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #65
Banned

Items Tree
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,536.73
U li si & U ni tsi used to make bean bread. Mmmmm, I never did get the recipe though , cause I was never allowed in the kitchen. If there were more than 1 woman in the kitchen it was trying to bust in to Fort Knox. GET OUT of the Kitchen! Go Play, Go find something else to do. For ever I thought that was the recipe. lol

S.O.S. was alwaits goot too. just some gravy made from flour and the leftovers from the commod pork in a can and toast, which was already half toasted, straight off the government shelf. slapper all together and you gots Sheit on a Shingle. Mmmmmmmm breakfast.

Last edited by rezrazed; 02-20-2012 at 10:28 PM..
rezrazed is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #66
LBGOOD2U

Items DevilPresentPresent
lbgood has a reputation beyond repute
lbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,007.25
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopashinaab View Post
Sounds like good ol fashioned hangover soup!
True Dat
lbgood is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #67

mmmm breakfast at work, i hope we are having brown oatmeal. mmmmmm
with bacon grease and hard boiled eggs. mmmmmm so hungry
Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #68
Pow wow Dancer

Cinkala has a reputation beyond repute
Cinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,138.59
Man y'all make it hard on a guy on a diet lol. I miss my ndn food lol!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #69
Banned

Items Tree
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
Now and again I'm able to travel through Navajo country. Anyone want to share a good recipe for Mutton stew?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezrazed View Post
U li si & U ni tsi used to make bean bread. Mmmmm, I never did get the recipe though , cause I was never allowed in the kitchen. If there were more than 1 woman in the kitchen it was trying to bust in to Fort Knox. GET OUT of the Kitchen! Go Play, Go find something else to do. For ever I thought that was the recipe. lol

S.O.S. was alwaits goot too. just some gravy made from flour and the leftovers from the commod pork in a can and toast, which was already half toasted, straight off the government shelf. slapper all together and you gots Sheit on a Shingle. Mmmmmmmm breakfast.
bean bread? hmmm there is some sort of bean bread thing in oneida country...what is the name of that? gunistoa? the spelling is way off i went phoneticly. anyway i think that is the name of what i am thinking of. my point was is that is some bomb stuffs all warm with honey or just butter. i will ask MD later what that is called
Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #71
Banned

Items Tree
Grandmother's Bean Bread

OK so I called U ni tsi and asked for her bean bread recipe, and she gave me it in her cook lingo, so I translated into english and actual measurements. It was quiet interesting converting "about a handful and a half of this and just a pinch of that" into actual measurements, But I think I got it cause mines turned out pretty good, if I do say so meself. So hurret goes.

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup of flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
2 cups milk
1 cup melted shortening
1 beaten egg
2 tbsp honey
4 cups drained brown beans

Mix all ingredients together, except for the bean. After ingredients are mixed, then fold in beans. Pour into greased, HEATED PAN (I didn't heat my pan the first time it actually makes a difference) Bake at 450 for about half hour, until brown.

Mmmmmmm then savoir the goodness. And don't share with anyone. lol
Sponsored Links